Home | About | Donate

A Modest Proposal: Don’t Start a Nuclear War

A Modest Proposal: Don’t Start a Nuclear War

Olivia Alperstein

In a matter of minutes, as easily as sending a tweet, a sitting U.S. president could decide to launch a nuclear attack, without anyone else’s approval or authorization. In a matter of minutes, millions of lives would be lost, and millions of futures halted permanently.

At my organization, Physicians for Social Responsibility, we believe that we must prevent what we can’t cure. And there’s no cure for a nuclear war.

0 Likes

Almost everyone would agree with that statement, except insane people like Trump, Pence ( who cannot wait for the rapture) and Bolton and the rest of the nut cases in Washington. To quote Trump: " WHAT GOOD ARE NUCLEAR WEAPONS IF WE DON’T USE THEM" !

0 Likes

Because Trump thinks it would be cool to start one and see who has the bigger “button”?

0 Likes

Let’s be honest here folks. The US nuclear policy of “strategic ambiguity,” as it is euphemistically called, of refusing to rule out any “first strike” with a nuke, has been the rule under Republicans and Democrats. Worse than that, presidents of both parties since Truman actively supported the development of plans and weapons to enable the US to make a devastating first strike on the Soviet Union, and even today, are looking for a window of opportunity that would permit a first strike on Russia. This was documented by Michio Kaku and Daniel Axelrod in their excellent and well sourced book “To Win A Nuclear War,” published by Chicago Univ. Press in 1986. Daniel Ellsberg in his book “The Doomsday Machine,” goes over much the same ground and updates it as an insider to the present day almost. Look, the Block 4 version of the F-35A is described as a first strike weapon. It has no other purpose for which it is suitable. A second rate dog-fighter, and a lousy ground support plane, carrying the new specially designed dial-able power B61-12 nuclear bomb, capable of exploding at anywhere from 0.3 to 50 kilotons, and to deliver it at supersonic spread with stealth features that make it invisible to advanced Russian radar (supposedly), 400 of these suckers placed near the Russian border in west and east would be paired with Trident II sub-launched missiles each with 10 independently targetable warheads capable of landing right on Russian missile silos and of course airfields wiping out Russia’s entire nuclear force and making it virtually incapable of responding–especially if US attack subs and missiles could take out Russia’s relatively noisy missile-launching subs. The US always says its weapons are to provide a certainty of retaliation against any attacker to deter such an attack from happening, but why would there be such a costly effort to make US missiles have pinpoint accuracy? In a retaliatory strike, what would be the point of hitting silos that would already be empty, and of blowing up subs that had already fired their missiles? Retaliatory missiles designed to deter an attack should just be able to deliver large city-destroying bombs. They don’t need to be accurate. That in fact is what Russia has, and it’s why so far, the US has never attacked Russia. Really the only reason: It can’t guarantee (yet) that a few of those big missiles wouldn’t survive a US attack and would not get through US defenses. The US doesn’t want peace and no nukes. It wants to achieve a breakthrough that will enable it to threaten Russia (and China) with total destruction and then force them to disarm and basically surrender to US global hegemony. That’s what all our military spending is really about. The F-35A is a good and undeniable example. It has no other use.
Dave Lindorff
founding editor of ThisCantBeHappening.net

2 Likes

An excellent article Ms Alperstein! Thank you. I offer you a couple of my poems.
Abolition of Nuclear Weapons! The answer to a maiden’s prayer. This is something I have worked for ever since I saw my first H-Bomb at the Marshal Islands in 1956, and suffered from the radiation exposure. I recovered and lived, many did not.
*When the NPT was signed I rejoiced! The US and the CCCP were working together to reduce and eventually eliminate their nuclear stockpiles. Then came the new century, loaded with promise of Peace, Love and Freedom. Then, we were Bushwhacked and those carefully worked out treaties and agreements were tossed in the trash can and the cold war resumed. This agreement could put us back on the road to nuclear disarmament, except for the fact that those with nuclear weapons have stated that they will not be a part of any such plan or treaty.
The World is now in the position of a man walking down the street between two angry men armed with machine guns, putting his arms up and hands out to both, saying, “Stop! Don’t you realize you will both be killed?” Then dying in the crossfire.
*Mrs. Minitrue says that “The most endangered species is man, because he continues to do self-destructive things even when he can see they will be fatal. He has the means to fix it, but is too stupid or short-sighted to do it.”
*We are now rapidly reaching the point of “Wake up, or die!” That is everybody, NO Survivors!
*So please, Everybody, WAKE UP!
;-})

I Have Seen the Dragon

I have seen the Dragon
Through clenched lids and arms pressed tight.
I have felt its hot breath on my back
And listened to the rumble of its voice.

I have looked upon its breath,
Glowing Amethyst, red and purple,
Climbing towards the stratosphere
To deposit its venom downwind.

I have waited in fear as my gums began to bleed
And my hair came out in clumps.
I breathed a prayer of thanks
As I began to heal.

After fifty years, our ranks are thin,
We who have seen the Dragon and survived.
Those who have died or are sickened still,
Their numbers are legion.

All we can hope for, work for, pray for,
Is that no madman will ever be allowed
To unleash the Dragon again.
For its legacy to all is death, disease and decay.

2 November 2006

It Will Go On

The red, setting sun, casts long shadows of the rocks and hills.
When the bombs are silent and the radiation has decreased,
The desert still exists, silent save for the susurration of the sand
Blown by the winds, slowly covering the wounds of war.

Forgotten monuments again becoming homes and shelter.
Small creatures creep out in the gathering stillness
To carry on their own lives, eating and being eaten
In the long dance that predates man and will continue long after.

As the climates change, volcanos and tsunamis rend the land and shore,
With the melting of the ice the seas rise; temperate zones become steppes,
Encased in permafrost. Man’s vaunted civilization may crumble away.
Man, himself, may run crying into the limbo that holds the dinosaurs.

The desert, silent save for the susurration of the sand, will still exist.
The red, setting sun, will cast long shadows of the rocks and hills.
Small creatures will creep out in the gathering stillness
To carry on their own lives, eating and being eaten as they always have…

Steve Osborn
21 November 2005

I hope we can wake up and avoid this…
;-})

0 Likes

There’s only one solution take the matches of the children and throw away your own matches .
Stop proliferating these nightmare weapons of self assured destruction.

Please wake up .

1 Like

Olivia Alperstein is correct: nobody wants nuclear war. Everyone wants peace: but on their own terms. That’s problem – at least part of it. To help find a solution to catastrophic global conflict in the nuclear age we need to look back, to before the splitting of the atom. Power (manifested as interest) has been present in every conflict of the past – no exception. It is the underlying motivation for war. Other cultural factors might change, but not power. It is so important it cuts across all apparently unifying principles: family, kin, nation, religion, ideology, politics - everything. We unite with the enemies of our principles, because that is what serves our interest. As a result every civilization/nation eventually gets the war it is trying to avoid: utter defeat. This point is crucial in the nuclear war. The way global events are progressing will end in world war. The pattern of history is clear. Leaders and decision-makers have always deluded themselves, blindly believing that fateful war can be avoided by bluster or bullying, that it can be limited in scale or even won. History has always proven them wrong.

https://www.ghostsofhistory.wordpress.com/

0 Likes