Home | About | Donate

A Moment of Reckoning for Greed on the Gridiron

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2020/08/17/moment-reckoning-greed-gridiron

If professional sports (including so called big time college sports like football and basketball) were, collectively, to fall off the edge of the Earth and simply disappear, never again to be heard from or even thought of, the world would be a better place.

I think some are worried that without a year or two of sports people will lose the addiction. Certainly baseball is not tearing it up. Sure not the best example but with no competition…

as pickens Floyd liked to say “… Money, it’s a gas
Grab that cash with both hands and make a stash
New car, caviar, four star daydream
Think I’ll buy me a football team”

TeeVee Contracts? Coaching Salaries? What about class-action lawsuits by 20-25 players ( more ) who’ve played a season, who’ve tested positive for COVID 19 and who continue to suffer severe heart and lung damage symptoms after the season? Can you see the lawyers circling?
And then, the fans in the stands, when 2500 of them get seriously ill? If 300 fans die?
These liabilities, of the state’s taxpayers goes off the charts, potentially. And, may have lingering bills for decades.
So, a few rich guys buy a big-time universities’ men sports teams, and install their golden boy coaches to run the entire show. Make a nice, continuing profit to keep the skids greased, too. What could possibly go wrong?

I agree. Not sure if your comment was to mine. I am against the sports reopening. My only small comment was that they are worried that people may start to lose their addiction to sports. They are worried about their own bottom line not anything else, cept of course the whole opiate for the masses thing. If they lose that it leaves them religion and racism as the last few tonics.

Not sure how the professional contracts could totally go crazy if players start to get sick. Franchises could actually go away.

The conniving and charlatan-like contortions of the MSM Sports Networks, in the effort of hiding the large profits from the players ( and their agents ) is their main concern, of course.
The University & The Athletic Depts.’ willingness to go along with this deception during a deadly pandemic is just disgusting. Entirely without merit.
" So, put me in coach, I’m ready to play today. Put me in coach, I’m ready to die today. " …( Take one for the team, then take it home to your extended family. ) That’s cra-cra!

1 Like

The CFL has cancelled everything for the year.