Home | About | Donate

'A Moment of Reckoning': Thousands Across Country Take Part in #StrikeForBlackLives

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/07/20/moment-reckoning-thousands-across-country-take-part-strikeforblacklives

1 Like

I support the strike. I would imagine that most Americans do. I would think that folks who DO support draw a clear distinction between the sense of a multi-ethnic society of tremendous breadth, talent, capacity and love and tropes such as “pride” when ancient wisdom reminds us that what we truly prize is DIGNITY.

Power structures use pride to distract from situations and dynamics that deprive persons and communities of the full scope of dignity. Dignity entails full spectrum access, not a yardstick rendered by one who uses their measure as power to extract value. When someone says they are ‘proud of you’, pity them, they don’t know how to express their love… yet. There is a distinction between ‘society’ and ‘nation’. You can have a society without a nation, but not a nation without a society. Predatory capitalism evidently prefers to manifest the negation of a society. It pumps it like an oil well, sells it like sugar water with a multi-million dollar ad campaign and lies through its teeth.

The power of the cynicism of institutionalized manipulation by propaganda (marketing / advertising) has a number of achilles heels. Always remember - one is that it can only deal with linear constructs - everything must fit that. It CAN form countless versions of this one model. Evidence of that is the monopolist construct. One of instruments to pull back the curtain on these models is the Tao te Ching and other similar texts - the Christian gospels too - once you begin to look, they are everywhere and more and more deeply treasured.

The system wants you afraid, desperate, clinging, ready to turn on your neighbor, your community and shared structures. Your disenfranchisement is priceless to the abusive institutions. They are terrified of communities that base their interactions on mutual respect and support… because of the power it generates.

1 Like

We should keep in mind that the years of large protests against the Vietnam War culminated with a landslide victory for a war hawk, criminal Mr. Nixon.
How much power do the American people REALLY have?

Who knows but whatever the case we need to fight anyway.

1 Like

REALLY. You have a wealth of power. Like Giovanna insistently advocates, non-cooperation is the solution. But for that to happen, unity and solidarity has to be established; which in today’s climate of uncertainty and division is precarious. But as an outsider i see that unity and solidarity forming. For the time being it is dispersed. Hopefully all the drops of water will make a mighty ocean to combat the evildoers.

3 Likes

I was thinking about that earlier today. When I see a group of BLM out protesting and then the Oregon women I thought, someone or someones need to find a way to connect all of these causes in one protest group. As you say, solidarity. A dispersed bunch of small units won’t have near the power it needs to generate a movement.
Happy anniversary. We need clear thinkers to fall back on in times like these.

3 Likes

Trump declared war on black lives,

the hungry,

the poor,

the sick,

the jobless,

teachers,

the Post Office,

immigrant children,

school children,

science,

essential workers,

medical experts,

peaceful protestors,

plus more than I have room here for,

and now Trump declares war on Moms.

Protestors have thrown their bodies on the gears of Trump's machine and now Moms are throwing their bodies on the gears of Trump's machine.

No one is safe until Trump's machine is stopped and dismantled.

As death machines are built, they must always be unbuilt.

A mother is the truest friend we have, when trials heavy and sudden fall upon us; when adversity takes the place of prosperity; when friends desert us; when trouble thickens around us, still will she cling to us, and endeavor by her kind precepts and counsels to dissipate the clouds of darkness, and cause peace to return to our hearts.

• Washington Irving

Being a mother is an attitude, not a biological relation.
  • Robert A. Heinlein

My mother was the most beautiful woman I ever saw. All I am I owe to my mother. I attribute my success in life to the moral, intellectual and physical education I received from her.
  • George Washington

To describe my mother would be to write about a hurricane in its perfect power. Or the climbing, falling colors of a rainbow.

– Maya Angelou
4 Likes