Home | About | Donate

A New Way to Challenge the Failed “War on Drugs”

A New Way to Challenge the Failed “War on Drugs”

Ralph Nader

More and more conservatives and liberals, from the halls of Congress to people in communities across the country, are agreeing that the so-called “war on drugs” needs serious rethinking.

A voice of reason in a time of insanity.

We need more debate about the impacts of the War on Drugs. As Justice Louis Brandeis said years ago "Sunlight is the Best Disinfectant."

Our Captured Media, working arm in arm with Big Pharma, do everything they can to see that Sunlight will never illuminate their Collusion, and Disregard for the Public Good.

Trump admires Duterte of the Philippines. Trump would like to adopt the solution and methods used there. He thinks about killing summarily anyone who uses or sells any drugs defined as illegal by an arbitrary government. He would like to declare martial
law and summarily execute anyone "suspected" of using or selling compounds defined as dangerous. Which could mean anyone that they do not like.

If you die of cancer induced by pollution, that is ok. They are actually happy to know that more people die of industrially induced diseases every year than of drug overdoses.

rump's political opponents "might" smoke pot. So rump sees execution of drug offenders as a "legal" means to execute his political opponents. This is what the war on drugs really always was about and it needs to be repeated over and over.

Yes, But I did make a mistake in my last post: he would not want to kill all of the suspected drug users and sellers, for that would obviate the existence of the secret warriors and ancillary services. The face of the police state is an entrenched bureaucracy which wants to further its power and existence, so they continuously need some group to persecute.

Ralph Nader is the best. He has a podcast I'm really enjoying too. This week he interviews Noam Chomsky:

The "War on Drugs" costs us about $100 billion dollars a year. It also tends to corrupt law enforcement which is another problem. Those convicted are also handicapped for life employment wise after getting out of prison. This also has an economic effect. US drug laws have also created a great deal of violence in Mexico and other Latin American countries due to the very large sums of money that the sale of illicit drugs earns. Keeping track of firearm violence here locally, I estimate at least half of all felony use of firearms is related to illicit drugs. If the "War on Drugs" didn't exist, these deaths wouldn't have happened.

Thanks Ralph. A new way, no criminal offence for small amounts of any drug, and no more entrapment cases, or bogus conspiracy cases. Two, Rehab on demand to include health clinic injection sites such as Insight in Vancouver, BC's east side in every city and town in America. Three, sex and drug classes taught in every school in America beginning at 6th grade, ( like the old days). Fourth, abolish all drug seizure laws STAT. Fifth, release all inmates in all jails, prisons across America doing time for drug offenses alone STAT. Sixth, DA offices are on warning and may be prosecuted themselves across America for bringing bogus cases to trial. Wow, there is more, but if my recommendations are followed I firmly believe, the drug cartels of Mexico, and beyond will mostly dry up. Corporate prisons will die off somewhat, and the DEA employees will have to find a new line of employment. America will get well, and peace, love, joy, and happiness will reign. Just my two cents.

"The idea of maximizing the fear and harm associated with drugs as a legitimate tactic in dissuading people from using drugs makes for pretty preverse public policy. Just imagine if the government worked to make cars less impact resistant in an effort to get people to wear their seatbelt or to not speed." Graham Boyd, J.D. (ACLU)

Support LEAP (Law Enforcement Action Partnership) founded in 2002 by cops sick and tired of a pointless war. They helped us greatly in passing Amendment #64 in Colorado (end of marijuana prohibition).

If a pic helps, this tree accurately illustrates the drug war.
Peace--
https://lawenforcementactionpartnership.org/our-issues/drug-policy/

For those not likely to click on anything, here is the LEAP platform:

Sorry so long, but . . .

• The Law Enforcement Action Partnership believes that adult drug abuse is a public health problem and not a law enforcement matter.
  • The Law Enforcement Action Partnership does not promote the use of drugs and is deeply concerned about the extent of drug abuse and drug-related violence worldwide. However, both drug abuse and violence flourish under drug prohibition, just as they did during alcohol prohibition.
  • The Law Enforcement Action Partnership recognizes that drugs can be dangerous and addictive. Reasonable regulation should protect public health and include age restrictions on drug sales and use.
  • The Law Enforcement Action Partnership recognizes that currently illicit drugs pose different risks, requiring different models of regulation. We believe that U.S. states and other nations must be given the regulatory latitude to try new models that balance personal freedom and responsibility with the public health risks of death, disease, and addiction.
  • The Law Enforcement Action Partnership recognizes that it will take time to strike a proper balance, blending private, public, and medical models to best control and regulate currently illicit drugs. Our speakers advocate for a range of strategies in line with their own diverse experiences and political philosophies.
  • The Law Enforcement Action Partnership believes that government has a public health obligation to ascertain and clearly communicate to the public the risks associated with the use of each currently illicit drug.
  • The Law Enforcement Action Partnership argues that as the government ends prohibition, it should release drug offenders, expunge their records, and restore their civil rights. However, we believe that people using alcohol or other drugs must be held accountable for the harms caused to others while under the influence.
  • The Law Enforcement Action Partnership believes that individuals suffering from drug addiction who seek help should receive support, including drug treatment. We argue that the cost of expanding such services could be financed with a fraction of the criminal justice savings from ending drug prohibition.

Duterte :
“Hitler massacred three million Jews [sic], now, there’s three million
drug addicts. I’d be happy to slaughter them,” he said in September.
Last month, he told a group of jobless Filipinos that they should “kill all the drug addicts.” Police have killed over 7,000 people, devastated poor areas of Manila and other cities, and used the drug war as a pretext to murder government officials and community leaders.

Our bully boy emperor to Duterte in phone call:

“I just wanted to congratulate you because I am hearing of the
unbelievable job on the drug problem,” Trump told Duterte at the
beginning of their call, according to the document. “Many countries have the problem, we have a problem, but what a great job you are doing and Ijust wanted to call and tell you that.”

Full text of call here:https://theintercept.com/2017/05/23/read-the-full-transcript-of-trumps-call-with-philippine-president-rodrigo-duterte/

Amen.

“You want to know what this was really all about? The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I’m saying? We knew we couldn’t make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders, raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did.”
-----John Ehrlichman, who served 18 months in prison for his central role in the Watergate scandal