Home | About | Donate

A Perpetual Killing Field in the Worst Place on Earth

A Perpetual Killing Field in the Worst Place on Earth

Nick Turse

LEER, South Sudan -- There it is again. That sickening smell. I’m standing on the threshold of a ghost of a home. Its footprint is all that’s left. In the ruins sits a bulbous little silver teakettle -- metal, softly rounded, charred but otherwise perfect, save for two punctures. Something tore through it and ruined it, just as something tore through this home and ruined it, just as something tore through this town and left it a dusty, wasted ruin.

Is there such a thing as an International Class Action Lawsuit that can be filed against the originators of these atrocities?

Make them pay.

Direct Democracy

After reading this article I used Google Earth to look at Leer, South Sudan. In pictures dated 8/15/2015 I did not see any of the destruction mentioned in the article. I saw a normal town with a all normal looking buildings , Native dwellings in the surrounding areas. I am having trouble putting these two versions together. Bor and Malakal also look normal. What am I missing?

This article is contextless and that makes it difficult to understand how it came to be and what needs to be done to stop this violence.

I also found this sentence especially troublesome as it too has no context:"Cambodia, too, has seen none of the wholesale bloodletting of the 1970s since the Khmer Rouge was driven from power."

How the Khmer Rouge came to power, who supported them and who drove them out is not mentioned as if this was some passive occurance, an act of nature and not completely defined by the political and military actions of world power outside Cambodia. The political context is important in Cambodia and in the Sudan and shouldn't be hidden or swept aside.