A Plug-and-Play Model Policy for Police Body Cameras

A Plug-and-Play Model Policy for Police Body Cameras

Chad Marlow

Ferguson.

Staten Island.

Pasco.

North Charleston.

Baltimore.

An unarmed person of color. Dead at the hands of law enforcement. And then another. And another. And another. And another.

While as a first, second, third, etc. reaction to the misdeeds of so many uniformed officers, body cameras may have some drawbacks. One is that it may further dehumanize an already dehumanized profession. Camera-wearing officers may evolve to almost Terminator-esque bots. The big focus needs to be on training and getting officers out from behind the wheel and getting to know the neighborhood. Time to rehumanize the profession.

I'd add that there is no substitute for community engagement with formally established community oversight committees as part of municipal government.

There are Police forces the world over charged with keeping the peace and to "serve and protect" that do not kill citizens at anywhere near the rate that US police officers do. That cameras are suggested as a fix so as to ensure a Police officer properly performs his or her duties as a Public Servants demonstrates that the SYSTEM is in failure.

If a police officer can not serve his or her role without the need to kill someone than the entire premise of the Police force has to be questioned. Body cameras do nothing to address this. If it runs through a police officers mind "I want to KILL this guy now but the bloody camera prevents me from doing such" than the issue is the mentality of that police officer and how she/he got there"

See Abu Ghraib and Rumsfelds banning of cameras as a solution to torture.

As we say goodbye to privacy, we might consider getting our own body cameras.