Home | About | Donate

'A Poll Tax By Any Other Name': Florida GOP Undermines Newly-Restored Voting Rights For 1.4 Million People

'A Poll Tax By Any Other Name': Florida GOP Undermines Newly-Restored Voting Rights For 1.4 Million People

Julia Conley, staff writer

Civil rights advocates Tuesday slammed Republicans in Florida for passing a bill that would severely undermine a law approved by voters last year that restored voting rights to residents with felony convictions.

The problem is that the democratically elected legislature has every right to pass a law that will overturn the referendum previously approved by the “qualified” voters if it desires to do so. Such are the vagaries of the “checks and balances” within the “democratic” process in our society.

1 Like

Conservatism and the will of the people are not compatible. 100 percent of American’s who have not been convicted of treason should be allowed and required to vote, in every election.

5 Likes

The GOP knows that in fair and democratic elections, they do not have a chance of staying in office.

7 Likes

Florida, the dick of the nation.

3 Likes

There is only one choice in almost all cases: vote for democrats.

2 Likes

Boy, Floridas GOP is slow. It only took until Utah’s legislature was in office again for them to override the legislation that Utah voters approved. The medical marijuana laws are practically worthless now that they and the Mormon church got their hands on it as well as for expanding Medicaid.

It actually doesn’t matter if the Mormons say anything publicly because they can just say it at the ward houses and since most of the legislature are Mormon they will still do the church’s bidding.

This is just one of the many reasons I refuse to play in this kabuki voting system. The top reason though is that congress doesn’t listen or care what we want. They will only listen to their donors. And their donor’s lobbyists.

Yeah since they have been so great at even trying to stop what republicans do regarding voting. Gerrymandering? Long lines in heavy democratic areas because there aren’t enough voting machines? No problem. It keeps the GOP in power so that democrats don’t have to pass legislation that help people.

5 Likes

If the bill passes and goes into law then Progressive groups in Florida, besides doing the usual lawsuits ad nauseum, must set up a fund that will pay the court costs of every single individual who has been granted the right to vote under the passage of the Amendment.

1 Like

Yeah, those republicans are not nice. Why don’t we just roll over and play dead? Well, they piss me off. Fuck 'em. I’m going down fighting. If a lot of my rural neighbors hate me, too damn bad. Some newspapers still accept my ornery letters.

One dick is normal.
But the Greedy Old Psychopaths have inserted a dick wherever they have power.
They must ALL be cut off.

Can the majority in Florida who voted for the initiative put up with this? We’ll see in 2020.

1 Like

That would eliminate a lot of Republicans.

How’d we not see THAT coming?? We should have known, as we all know Rethugs could not possibly let a decent moral thing stand without soiling it…

3 Likes

What now would occur in a rational world is that these Florida legislators would have to find jobs next November but then what passes for rationality these days is anyone’s guess.

1 Like

The new census happens next year and after that the party in control in each state gets to redo the district boundaries according to the dispersion of the population. This is also when gerrymandering is done and, if not challenged by the courts, is the law of the land for the next ten years.

1 Like

Unfortunately, the state voting laws in the red states is the problem. Not the democrats from those states, but the cheating republicans and their rich donors.

Yes, here in North Carolina we’re still trying to get a Supreme Court order against gerrymandering from the LAST redistricting to stick. The GOP legislators (see Laurenceofberk, above) gerrymander, a court rules it unconstitutional, they gerrymander again, court rules again, etc. I think the one that was recently shot down was the third, and that with a Democratic governor and the loss of the veto-proof majority in at least one house, we may at least come to an impasse with NO district map as long as the current situation is maintained.

Floridians actually thought that their voice counted? Then they elected a Republican who had his head so far up Trump’s butt he hasn’t seen SUnshine in a long time?