Home | About | Donate

'A Recipe for Disaster': Democrats Worry Biden Campaign Missing in Action in Battleground States

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/09/17/recipe-disaster-democrats-worry-biden-campaign-missing-action-battleground-states

Biden isn’t running to win. He’s paid to lose and is doing a fine job. US general elections are theater for the proles, while the oligarchs consolidate their power.

9 Likes

Yes, the dims’ top three priorities since the 1985 Democratic Leadership Council (DLC) formation have been 1) get more corporate money, 2) get more corporate money, and 3) get more corporate money.

I have also noticed that dim incumbents in local elections haven’t yet started campaigning while their GOP challengers have been campaigning since April.

4 Likes

Here in western PA, Biden signs are as rare as hens teeth. I don’t honestly know of any campaign offices in the Pittsburgh area. I’m sure there has to be one, but I can’t find it.
And once again, just as in 2016, you have a Republican candidate playing to his base. And you have a democratic candidate too busy trying to attract unicorns, and by that I mean something as rare as unicorns, Republican moderates, in lieu of exciting his progressive base and getting them out to campaign for him.
A train wreck is coming. But you need not worry about Joe Biden, as he won’t be on any train, or plane, or bus. He will be “busy” making ten minute or less appearances at the podium in his back yard a couple of times a week, taking no questions, and wandering back into the house.
Any Legitimately progressive young candidate would be 20 points up in the polls right now, as their opponent is the worst president in American history. But no, the democrats are running another milquetoast “moderate” that excites no one. Polling has shown already that single biggest reason people are voting for Biden is that he isn’t Trump.
Just makes you brim with confidence doesn’t it?

5 Likes

His only selling point is “Biden is not Drumpf.”

It might be enough. But only if enough vote to get rid of the fraud occupying the White House.

The reality is it’ll come down to the Electoral College.

Ain’t American Democracy a gem?

1 Like

It hard to get voters to resonate with the message of “Vote for me and nothing will fundamentally change” The only people who buy that message are the ones that are doing great financially, be it Wall Street or the already rich. Who would any person barely able able to keep their heads above water vote for keeping things the same?

4 Likes

They are horse races and the oligarchs own both horses. Much like one of my relatives is a Republican but gives $$$$$ to both parties.

2 Likes

Biden is a right-wing ideologue and warmonger and always has been. For example, 90% of Democrats support Medicare for All, but Biden opposes it. How in the hell is Biden the Democratic Party candidate?

Because right-wing oligarchs run the party, not its voters.

We don’t have democracy, not even in the Democratic Party. We have the illusion of democracy.

2 Likes

I agree but one clarification. Biden is not a moderate. He’s a right-winger, if not an ultra right-winger. He has always been proud to run against Dem Party policies and side with Republicans. There hasn’t been a war or invasion he hasn’t supported. He was friends with and eulogized virulent racist and segregationist, Strom Thurmond. He’s disgusting and despicable. I am voting for him only because Trump is worse. I will vomit afterwards.

3 Likes

All too true. Isn’t it funny how the word “moderate” is now used in democratic circles to describe what would be, in any other era, a Nixon Republican?

3 Likes

For some reason I thought of Margret Atwood and her statement that what unified Canadians is they are not U.S. Americans.

Of all the people I know who plan to hold their noses and vote Biden, it’s ONLY because they’re voting against Drumpf.

Yuck.

2 Likes

I was going to suggest that you swap one of those priorities for their very high priority of making sure a genuinely progressive agenda doesn’t stand a chance with the Party but when I thought it through, I realized that was just another way of making sure they “get more corporate money” so, never mind.

2 Likes

Unbelievable. I just clicked the “unsubscribe” button (again) for the Biden campaign and this is what the site said, “Would you consider following our campaign on Twitter or Facebook? We post a lot of great pictures of Joe Biden eating ice cream and wearing aviators”

I pointed out to them that this is why the campaign is largely irrelevant and that they need to actively reach out to progressives and to support progressive issues if they have any desire to win.

2 Likes

Well, the anti democrat, anti Biden comic relief is strong here. The topic though is whether Biden is doing enough schmoozing in battleground states.
He had better take advantage of the weather in Wis, Mich, Minn, Penn, and Illnois while he can. The weather here can get cold really fast.

What we are witnessing with the democratic campaign is what we could have all expected when we nominated a nearly 78 yr old man.
What we need to be asking is this, at a time when the USA will need bold and aggressive leadership in the post pandemic, global warming era, will a senior citizen who doesn’t even have the energy to make more than a couple of appearances a week, and only for 15-20 minutes each, have the wherewithal to be the president we need?

1 Like

Point well taken. Who among the other primary candidates were young enough, or could be trusted any more than Biden?

1 Like

Here in California – where Biden need do nothing – I’ve seen a handful of different ads from him. Each one is about how he’s not Trump; none of them mention any concrete initiatives. His ads in swing states need to talk about what he hopes to actually achieve, if he wants to turn out the apathetic vote. People want something to vote for.

1 Like

A strategy as diminished as his faculties

Not to worry, I’m sure they’re betting on how the dem judges bumping Howie Hawkins of the Green Party off the PA. ballot, will mean a win for Ole Joe.

1 Like

And therein lies the democrats big problem. Outside of the Squad, where are the young progressives in the party?

1 Like