Home | About | Donate

'A Recipe for Disaster': Rights Advocates Fear Intimidation at Polls from Sheriff Joe Arpaio

'A Recipe for Disaster': Rights Advocates Fear Intimidation at Polls from Sheriff Joe Arpaio

Nika Knight, staff writer

Voting rights defenders in Arizona are expressing fear and concern that right-wing Sheriff Joe Arpaio, who was found in contempt of court in May and again last month for failing to stop his practice of racial profiling and targeting of Hispanic people in "immigration patrols," will inti

So, being found in contempt twice recently means what exactly if this fascist is free to act?

One possible "ray of sunshine" I would like to see: A "pole watching" Mericopa County Sheriff's Deputy surrounded by chastising Hispanic voters informing him/her, "I am a tax-paying citizen of Mericopa County, and you are my employee"! The panicked look and sweating brow of the deputy are wonderful images in my imagination. Of course, the calling of riot police by the deputy, and resulting disaster for all, are not as pleasant. Still, I wouldn't mind observing Arpaio explain away having caused a riot at a polling station by authorizing the intimidating presence of a Sheriff's Deputy in full uniform.