Home | About | Donate

'A Red Line Crossed': Nationwide Protests Declared for Thursday at 5PM After Jeff Sessions Fired

'A Red Line Crossed': Nationwide Protests Declared for Thursday at 5PM After Jeff Sessions Fired

Common Dreams staff

Breaking News... Check back for possible updates and added details...

Progressive organizations have announced coordinated protests to take place in cities and communities nationwide on Thurdsay, November 8th at 5 PM (local time) in the wake of President Donald Trump's firing of Attorney General Jeff Sessions.

10’s of Millions protested the Iraq war before it started, and many many more worldwide, and its still raging without a whimper of protest, now the longest war in US history. Protest is irrelevant.

Only when protest gums the gears of the process of everyday life for the elites will we see it be effective.

I agree with you. you should have also mentioned the Afghanistan War which started before the Iraq War & is still going on & there were never any protests about that war that I know of.

Reminds me of the time these same highly-principled organizations organized protests just a few months ago, when the Democrats colluded with their Republican e̶n̶e̶m̶i̶e̶s̶ partners to hand that idiot/traitor/Tool 'O Putin the biggest military budget in world history.

Oops.

Trump did not cause a constitutional crisis. He only asked his Attorney General to resign, which any president has the right to do. The constitutional crisis is the result of the US Constitution not having any language that handles a case like this. When politicians don’t want to deal with a situation, they convince themselves it will never happen. Well guess what! These things are starting to happen. The electoral college is another one. For many decades we fooled ourselves into thinking the electoral college was just fine because there was no way anyone could ever win the popular vote but not the electoral vote. It happened in 2000 and again in 2016. Living in denial makes us a delusional nation. There are massive gaping holes in our constitution and, as much as I don’t like Trump, he can not be blamed for a crisis that was literally written into the constitution before he even considered running for office. If we blame and shame Trump for this, it will happen again, in a much more serious way. We need to clean up our legal system and stop finding scapegoats for our inadequate and ambiguous laws.

The truth of the matter is that “protests” are nothing more than a distraction designed to occupy the energy and attention of those dissatisfied. It is a fool’s errand.

And a partisan distraction from the real issue.

The Bush administration and media were able to link the World Trade Center attack to Afghanistan quite easily. It gave people the feeling that if they protested the war, they would have been supporting the attack on the World Trade Center. Only months later there were massive protests about the Iraq war. Saddam Hussein had secretly done what Iran and other nations are talking about doing quite openly now, trading oil in a currency other than the dollar, and dodging US sanctions. It is the same thing Gaddafi did.

But the war in Afghanistan was still a huge mistake. Ironically, the USSR collapsed after a war with Afghanistan that continued too long for them to win and too long for them to continue fighting. It looks like the same thing is happening to the US. It looks like the weak and insignificant Afghanistan will be credited with defeating, or contributing to the defeat of, both of the former world super powers.

lol now protesting on behalf of…jefferson sessions? oh…man…better than fiction.

Everyday we are shown more and more evidence against the notion that humans are a rational species.

Are you effen kidding me? One fascist fires another fascist and “progressives” are supposed to hit the streets? When the Nazi Blackshitrts (SS) slaughtered the Nazi Brownshirts (SD) were the German people supposed to rise up to support Hitler in the intersectional struggle? This is so far beyond ridiculous…never mind…

The Parties don’'t care about the rule of law. They just want to win at any cost. You are right to point out that the partizan ping pong game is an ongoing distraction. If noting is resolved based on principle, then everything is solely about power and manipulation. It is profoundly cynical.

FYI. Do not give any info. to MoveOn…especially your real email…use a fake email…They use info on “surveys” and other issues, even if you never heard of them…It’s a front

Very many good points stated here in regards to not protesting. I was almost decided on showing up in St. Paul after work. But now I am undecided. My aim was to support the ongoing investigation by Mueller. In the end, I believe Crumpus will do as he wishes.

OMG, I can’t believe it! Who is organizing these protests for the most pathetic reasons?? I’m blown away that no one is organizing protests for what is happening in Yemen! Shameful!!
And I don’t give a damn about protecting Mueller’s “fake” investigation. Somebody, make it
stop!!! Common Dreams? Seriously???

It appears that Trump has enlisted Mr. Clean to clean up his fuck up.

I’ll be there as I agreed to do months ago!

Tell that to the thousands of soldiers and their families who would have died in Vietnam had all of us who protested that tragedy not done so until it was stopped.

Tell that to all the children that were born to those who would have died there in order to support the Corporations and the warmongering politicians that prolonged it for what.

Profit.

Silly reason??? This despot fired, then “hired” the head of the nation’s justice system without congressional consultation, nevermind approval. He threatened those we elected there would be “warlike” retaliation if they do their job and investigate as the GOP has refused to do. Ever hear of the Saturday Night Massacre when Nixon thought he could fire those investigating him with impunity? The nation rose up in protest. Judging from these comments, Trump is right in saying he could murder someone in the street and get away with it. He’s certainly doing that to our way of life and many here say “big deal”. Many thought the civil rights movement was Silly, too.