Home | About | Donate

A Second Trump Impeachment Has Not Lessened the Current Danger

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2021/01/14/second-trump-impeachment-has-not-lessened-current-danger

3 Likes

I suggest a set of handcuffs, leg irons, and a ball gag to go along with the 2nd Impeachment.

Hand Melania the keys to release him after 6 days time.

If she chooses.

Danger averted.

If Trumpers try another round, our military will finally get to defend freedom and deeemocracy(sic) instead of propping up failed states or overthrowing legitimate governments. Oops, I forgot we are a so far failing state.

1 Like

Why did the generals issue this message yesterday?

My answer: Maybe because they know more than we do?

1 Like

Excellent piece. But I’d suggest the challenge lies more in an ongoing long term low intensity insurrection. That would pose more difficulties, not least those having to do with the state reaching for widespread repression that would go well beyond the fascists.

1 Like

… Well, that was a pretty sobering read -even for a former ‘jarhead’ like myself…

2 Likes

Intriguing tossing of the gauntlet with so many intended audiences.

I’ve said this for months that if push came to shove, the JCS would step in and step up. This has come to pass, so I’m pleased to see that I haven’t gotten so rusty on my analytical skills that I would’ve missed something like this.

But this is also a clear message to the GOP douchebags that have been stirring this pot hoping to score points with screwball voters as they continue to scramble and clamber up the totem of American power. There will be no private armies allowed to operate in sufficient number to threaten the State.

This has implications for us on the Left, certainly, but nothing we didn’t always operate under. For the Right, however the message is unmistakable: the military does not wish to govern. And for most of us, that should be a relief.

Will it matter? Hard to say, seeing that these little two-legged Frankensteins can turn on anyone at the drop of a dime. But at the very least, it should buy time to see if those crap neoliberal Democrats can finally rise above their own self-interested pursuit of power and wealth and actually govern for more than just their own status. Because if Biden’s crew fails, and this Democratic Congress fails, it will mean war.

6 Likes

“…the preservation of constitutional democracy in the U.S. has come to this.”

Indeed. The photos of hundreds of guardsmen sleeping and filling the halls of the Capitol and the news that bullet proof vests for congress people are reimbursable, rang like a war zone has come home.

The real dark times seem to me are just starting. And I don’t mean the next few weeks, which by all appearance they will be handled right, but the next years, when a trumpian mentality at large in the populace and congress can not be policed with arms and military.

4 Likes

Also, hopefully, some of the “leadership” of the neo-Confederate insurrection will scale back their delusional fantasies of an armed uprising right now, while perhaps a significant chunk of the followers will think several times about the wisdom of storming the state this week.

3 Likes

“No One Took Us Seriously”: Black Cops Warned About Racist Capitol Police Officers for Years

Allegations of racism against the Capitol Police are nothing new: Over 250 Black cops have sued the department since 2001. Some of those former officers now say it’s no surprise white nationalists were able to storm the building.

~https://www.propublica.org/article/no-one-took-us-seriously-black-cops-warned-about-racist-capitol-police-officers-for-years

4 Likes

i’m trying to get a feel from this town full of 'maga heroes" how they’re going to go. I need to go down to the meth block and hang out for a few hours. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Am I correct in surmising that you are either writing from overseas or have experience there (e.g. Mali)? Because I think that would illustrate the point that U.S.-raised Americans do not have any idea what it’s like to live under a truly repressive government, so there’s a lot of hubris and comic book heorism, including on the left, about what that involves. This should be kept in mind as we cheer on repression of the fascists. We have two adversaries here.

2 Likes

You can read it once, you can read it twice – nowhere do I find any reference to the treachery of DC police agencies, which was absolutely crucial to brownshirts accessing the building in the first place, not to mention getting plenty of help from police once inside, even from Congressmembers the day before, to scope out the joint. Treachery, treachery, treachery, last Tuesday and Wednesday, significantly brought to heel today, Thursday. That’s the story of this failed coup, which Jeffrey C. Isaac misses so obliviously, I almost think he’s playing dumb. Listen to this part, for instance:

Why did the generals issue this message yesterday?

The answer seems clear: because recent reports—both classified and unclassified, private and public—have made very clear that the assault on the Capitol involved a substantial degree of organization and planning by paramilitary forces, and that the groups and individuals in question continue to threaten the lives of U.S. public officials and to threaten armed and potentially insurrectionary protests in Washington, D.C. and in every state capitol in the country in the days leading up to January 20—and possibly beyond.

There is, in short, a clear and present danger of armed, insurrectionary violence by right-wing groups aligned with Trump and his “Stop the Steal” effort.

This is functionally “be afraid, be very afraid” agitprop, extremely suspect diversion from the true threat: police treachery. We mainly need to be worried about whether USA police agencies are loyal to us, the ones who pay them, or if they’re moonlighting for Nazis. Seriously: Why the diversion, Isaac?

The coup-plotters blew it. They’ll not be able to follow up Jan 6 with an effective strike to explode all pretense of democracy (by dissolving Congress, for instance). The way this one works, they would have had to strike more quickly and decisively. It’s over now, for awhile – if police and military can be trusted to abstain from overtly turning on us (as we prosecute their treacherous brethren). Don’t make the networked facepainted weirdos out to be the threat. The problem is crooked police, as usual. Only much more so.

4 Likes

As i read through that sentence when i first read the article, i kept expecting Isaac to get to the point, which i anticipated would be about the grave threat posed by inside players – “public officials” in police forces, and in the Congress as well, who were clearly facilitating and supporting the goon squad.

2 Likes

Don’t Impeach Trump: Treat Him Like a Civil War Traitor

~https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2021/01/dont-impeach-trump-for-insurrection-use-the-14th-amendment.html

2 Likes

As far as matters of true historical import go, yesterday’s Impeachment 2.0 may turn out to be less weighty than the video Trump released of himself flushing his loyal followers away like a dead goldfish. “I want to be very clear: I unequivocally condemn the violence that we saw last week,” he practically moaned in that flatline monotone he deploys whenever he couldn’t possibly give less of a shit about what he was saying. “Violence and vandalism have absolutely no place in our country.”

Trump’s announcement that the thousands who literally carried his banner into the Capitol are not really his people anymore amounts to a grim look in the mirror. Those folks have spent years wallowing in the idea that all is not as it seems. Now, they are enduring the solemn agony of being right.

~https://truthout.org/articles/trump-was-impeached-twice-within-the-span-it-takes-a-giraffe-to-gestate-a-calf/

1 Like

i love this follow-up paragraph in the same article:

Of course, QAnon devotees have already “explained away this spectacular public betrayal: The video was a “deepfake” sham, because Fearless Leader would never treat his most loyal allies like so much gravel to walk over on the way toward avoiding civil and criminal liability. Some will surely accept this as gospel, because if you already believe lizard pedophiles are running things in Washington, getting to “the vid was faked” is easier than farting in bed.

1 Like

Thumbs up to you for referencing an American precedent and not something with less direct relevance from another place and time. Will be interesting to see the backgrounds of those that have been charged regarding their actions at the Capital on Jan. 6.

1 Like

Maybe they are more unified than they were last week?
Maybe they are watching social media more than they were last week?

Excellent. Thanks for this.

2 Likes