Home | About | Donate

A Second Wave of COVID-19 Looms Large—and It’s Not Because of Protests

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2020/06/12/second-wave-covid-19-looms-large-and-its-not-because-protests

2 Likes

I write as a survivor of West Nile Virus all the way to encephalitis during a reelection year (2004). Politics and viruses do not mix well. “Sweep-it-under-the-rug” forces cannot be underestimated. We see what havoc they brought for COVID-19. Thomas Frank’s (2008) The Wrecking Crew: How Conservatives Rule explains our plight quite well. Sow government with incompetents and let things play out. Let corporations suck up the profits. Tends to work for the upper echelon.

6 Likes

The rush back to business by Reeves and so many governors who have pursued aggressive openings gives a new expression of white privilege in America.

Great summary from Derrick Jackson.

County public-health officers are getting harassed all over California – to the point where the gauntlet got too much for San Diego County’s. Ohio’s health chief also just quit, for the same reason.

3 Likes

Two days ago CNN started trying to blame the Protests for this second wave. They completely ignored the stupidity of not only the WH lack of doing much of anything, but also ignored the stupidity of opening States too soon.

4 Likes

" When someone tells you who they are ( what they are, what they represent, who they " front " for ), believe them. " It’s being shoved into your face by the elites or their parroting cronies. Catch a clue, here.
Please, for your own safety and sakes understand, that for about 50-60% of the people living in America the PTB don’t, and/or can’t care.
" One Corporotocracy reaps ( $$$ ) what another Federal entity dumps ( COVID-19 ) onto you. "
This uptick in COVID-19 pandemic #s is not the sloppiness of an inept Trump Adm’s " well-oiled machine ", it is an enhancement for their agenda.
Their agenda is to capture, and destroy or subsume, all facets of the current social contract and re-write the terms of same.
But, don’t take my word for it, ask the First Nations ( Native Americans ) of this country. Something like 509-565 treaties ( the highest recognized gov’t contract ) and just how many have been honored, or enforced?
We honor " the entrepreneural spirit " of America’s crony capitalists and plutocrats ( the kleptocracy ) at our own peril. They’re crooks!!!

5 Likes

It’s been a strategy that has been working for the past several decades after all.

2 Likes

Superb assessment by Derrick Z. Jackson.

Too bad “our” intentionally stupid corporate “mainstream” media does not foreground this kind of honest straightforward assessment and reporting.

With this kind of media malfeasance, layered on top of the USAn miseducation and diseducation that has been promoted for the past four decades, “we the people” find it hard to maintain any such honest straightforward conversation among ourselves, distracted and drowned by the incessant distracting and fracturing noise generated in society and in our own minds by the divide-and-conquer propaganda of the looting class.

The looting class is presently having a field day, on the fields of epidemiology and white supremacy, led by their intentionally inept field general Trump.

2 Likes

I would love to hear Dr. Fauci say “I tried to tell you, you wouldn’t listen”.
I have noticed that fewer people are wearing masks every week. The people over 60 seem to be the only ones who are are taking this seriously.

4 Likes

Our Governor Brown of Oregon announced today Friday that the state’s reopening moves are halted for at least 7 days or more, due to the upspike of new cases.
As she often repeats, the virus sets the timelines, not residents’ wishes.
I WILL CONTINUE TO FOLLOW THE GUIDELINES & URGE FRIENDS, FAMILIES & NEIGHBORS TO DO SO!! I am a senior citizen & am doing my part for the common good!!

5 Likes

We won’t see the results of the protests for another week or two. My bet is they will have results—not great ones either. Crossing my fingers I’m wrong, many people wore masks from what I saw. While I totally agree with the sentiment of the protests, realistically speaking, the virus is still going to do its thing however noble the cause.

2 Likes

we are being told to die for capitalism–since the current mantra of our military is to kill for capitalism–an unsurprising response from the harbingers of terror,death , and destruction— here and around the world–our government

1 Like

On a side note, I was comparing deaths attributed to pneumonia with past years, and it’s glaringly obvious that C19 deaths are being under-reported. In some states, the rise in pneumonia deaths is over 600% compared to averages.

And out yesterday, I noted that social distancing has been thrown to the four winds – the country has moved on.

1 Like

Of course one factor in a rise of Covid cases will have been the protests. They bring people together.

But the protests are essential work. They are not voluntary collectively, though participation may be voluntary individually. Injustice did not suspend itself for the virus. There is no normal to which to return.

As always, we have a future to create. Conditions demand action.

1 Like

The CDC has apparently said in 2017, the deaths in the U.S. related to “lower repertory pulmonary” causes were 160,000, and the deaths due to flu were about 55,000. That’s about 210,000 with no Covid 19 insight. The 2020 figures won’t come out for years, but with those 2017 totals, the approximately 110,000 deaths right now don’t seem catastrophic to me. I’m mindful we live in a country that saw WTC Building 57 collapse and no-one said it was a demolition except about 2200 architects and professional engineers…reality is not our strong suit.

2 Likes

Except there was zero social distancing in 2017.
And the CDC flu “season” lasts from December through March.
And several states reporting pneumonia as the cause of death have 5-600% spikes in those deaths.

I don’t think the deaths are catastrophic. Yet. But we’re only four months in.

4 Likes