Home | About | Donate

A Serious Question Goes Viral: 'When Did You Become Radicalized by the U.S. Health Care Non-System?'

A Serious Question Goes Viral: 'When Did You Become Radicalized by the U.S. Health Care Non-System?'

Jean Ross

If you still wonder about the growing popularity of the movement for Medicare for All, consider this simple question @AllOnMedicare, one of the more active social media advocates of Medicare for All, posed on Twitter May 2 – “When did you become radicalized by the U.S. health care non-system?”

2 Likes

People were radicalized by the Viet Nam war. But it was not an accident. SDS and others worked hard to educate people about the war. Not slogans and buffoonery by teach-ins. Education, arguing with family members. Unrelenting devotion to this cause. That is a clue. Nurses need to spearhead massive teach-ins about the gross and immoral medical establishment. 160,000 for a snakebite, etc…people need to be taught.

5 Likes

Almost all of us have a horror story to tell about our 3rd world healthcare system. These stories are heartbreaking, but not surprising. I admit, I’ve had the same thoughts, at my age, I too will “check-out” if it comes to that, rather than lose to the healthcare criminals, the small amount I have to pass on to my kids and grandkids.

2 Likes

12,000 is a nice start. But you’ll need to get up to a million to get noticed by health insurance bigwigs.

Last time I checked, they owned congress.

3 Likes

Two additional things:

1. We also saw the body count totals and the bodies on the news every night

2. The Draft. Many of us, even most of us (guys) new we were on the line. Especially after they ended the 2S deferment and started the lottery - so it would be harder to get out of it. I was 11 in the first draft. that had a tendency to make me focus.

The biggest tragedy in the USA is not those greedy executives and shareholders all trying to squeeze as many dollars as they can out of another human being , it is that large swathe of the population who might be healthy or have decent care for themselves that have ZERO empathy for the plight of others not so fortunate. There have been more than a few that posted here that use the old “Why should I have to pay for someone else’s health care with MY money”?

You do it because it an act of decency and we all prosper off more decency in Society.

5 Likes

The news was actually fact based which is different from now when it is all corporate propaganda thanks to Reagan, Clinton and Obama. But boys did have to face the draft and the facts therein at a young age. But EVERYONE has to face the horror of the medical system though mostly at older ages. Still the nurses need to teach and talk.

To me, this is a good argument for bringing back the Draft. No Deferments this time so everyone has skin in the game. That’s how you get people to get interested.

1 Like

I’m glad that the serious question was asked. When even a few stories tell of people resisting their own health problems so that their families are not made bankrupt----you just know that at some point the anger and horror at what for -profit- health- care does---- will wash over angry and horrified people, and kidnapped and offed CEOs will be the new thing.
I think that kind of arrogance is what got so many of the highly placed in France on the guillotine list. How heartless do people have to get until their own evil comes right back on to themselves or to their own kids.
So health care CEOs and sell out politicians… pay attention to Yoda’s famous line-------“Do or do not; there is no try.”

2 Likes

The government is NOT a good role model for that.

Radical ?

“In an era of widespread deceit, telling the truth is considered a radical act” - George Orwell

The mainstream media paints Sanders, AOC and other progressives as radicals and extremists even though their platforms are no different than politicians like LBJ who were considered centrists a half century ago.

1 Like

health care provided by your employer (if you are lucky) is just another form of corporate control over their workforce… the system is so broken … my girlfriend works for yale/new haven hospital… one of the premiere hospitals in the world … her job is to get insurance company authorization for PET scans … her whole job is to be on the phone with insurance companies pleading for authorization that doctors have prescribed and then telling doctors that their patient was denied and the doctor has to go fight with the insurance companies.
Just set up a “GOFUNDME” website is what they actually say… its so fucking disgusting

3 Likes

The U.S. citizenry is not a good role model for that.

1 Like

I agree but I see little of decency these days in society.
I would argue that even those saying they don’t want to pay for someone else’s health care need a public care system. As it stands this is like hiring an accountant and requiring the successful new hire to be an embezzler.

Right now every insurance company is a predator/parasite. The basic idea of pooling resource among a population for the common interests means that we are paying for the embezzlement (insurance) industry to steal from us and to skim off the top, the bottom and anywhere in between.

Essentially they “hire out” to us by appealing to our fears of disaster but they are really extortionists. Like so many other con “artists” and low-level street criminals they are only helping themselves.

Oh, and did I mention that my health costs for all of last year (2018) (some cost, because I am a non-combat vet) were the huge amount of $30 as copay for two prescriptions. I got labs, examinations, consults, bp machines, ultrasound, vaccinations and more at no cost. And I then I get follow up from them. They keep me up to date by getting me to schedule my exams so I don’t forget (speaking of which, right now, I have a little mail message urging me to call for an appointment and noting that they tried to call but couldn’t get me - [they do call and mail and email - and I forgot to update my landline phone number to them after a recent move]). That’s a public health care system. This shouldn’t be just for vets of any description, it should be for everyone. There’s more than enough money for it, after all think of how much is currently being paid to insurance companies who embezzle that money by denying care. And you can bet the insurance companies are unlikely to send notices to make sure you are on schedule with exams, shots, etcetera.

1 Like

Third world healthcare? When I lived in Africa a few years back, I had a mole that was changing. I went to a dermatologist, he cut it out, stitched me up and had it biopsied and charged me the equivalent of $10 USD. That is third world healthcare. What we have here is something much worse.