Home | About | Donate

A Showdown on the Census Citizenship Question Is Coming to the Supreme Court

A Showdown on the Census Citizenship Question Is Coming to the Supreme Court

Brianna Cea

Today, the Supreme Court announced that it will hear oral arguments on the Trump administration’s decision to add a citizenship question to the 2020 Census. The addition of such a question would likely depress census turnout, skew the allocation of congressional seats, and change how billions of dollars in federal funding are distributed to the states.

0 Likes

I don’t give a dam how the court rules on this issue, I will not answer the citizenship question.
To be clear, I’m a natural born citizen, there’s not much they can do to me, if you’re not a citizen, it would be much more risky.

0 Likes

You might feel differently three years from now when a vote on single payer health care loses by one vote in in the House because poor census data gave an extra seat to a conservative legislator.

You might feel differently when FEMA response to a disaster leads to a number of extra deaths because they relied on inaccurate census data for their rescue planning.

You might feel differently when communities close to you fail to get their proper allocation of funds for every social program the Federal Government operates.

You might feel differently when your local food bank can no longer rely on accurate information about poverty rates, federal nutrition assistance program participation rates and the like.

You might feel differently when new voter suppression laws nullifying language assistance laws get through the courts because they use inaccurate census data caused by the low response rates this will produce.

Basically - you should just feel differently. This case has tremendous consequences.

4 Likes

Sadly, census respondents will be hiding in the shadows in any event.

0 Likes

In the past, most of the problem was with people who are hard to contact - like the homeless - rather than people who are easy to contact but difficult to get to participate. The current administration is trying to make things an order of magnitude worse with respect to the latter situation.

2 Likes

Have to disagree, I’ll answer the usual questions, just not about citizenship, if that disqualifies my response, then we all should refuse to respond to it period. All of us should refuse to bow down to fascism. None of the issues you listed revolve around the citizenship question, never have, and shouldn’t now.
This case has tremendous consequences for the people to accept fascist values, I will not, and neither should anyone else in this country.

0 Likes

Not true at all - every one of the issues I raise will be impacted by the citizenship question because it will drive down response rates - in a way that will hurt each of the progressive desires I mentioned.

Personally, I hope you don’t get a chance to refuse to answer that question as you intend - since it shouldn’t be there in the first place. The question has the same political origins as the voter suppression laws we’ve seen recently in many states. The Trump administration just doesn’t want certain people counted.

1 Like

I wish people took the time to read more about this case and our Commerce Secretary’s, Wilbur Ross, barely hidden intentions. He flaunted the law, purposefully, and was dishonest about his intentions to Congress and the Court. Frankly, it cannot be underscored how important it is for progressives to understand what four more years of guys like him running executive branch departments, even more being seated on the Courts, will mean.

1 Like

Yes - it is true that these guys are quite dangerous in their current positions - ignoring the advice of staff at every turn including on nonpartisan scientific questions.

1 Like

You’re missing my point. You admit you’re self in you’re post that it shouldn’t be there, and has never been in the past. this is over reach, you and I both know it. All citizens should refuse to answer it.

0 Likes

I’m not missing your point. Civil disobedience when the government overreaches is a fine tradition. But that doesn’t make the Supreme Court case unimportant as you initially said. In fact, if you think this is important enough to instigate wide spread civil disobedience than you are implicitly saying that how the Court rules IS important.

0 Likes