Home | About | Donate

A Swiftian Modest Proposal for the President

A Swiftian Modest Proposal for the President

Tom Engelhardt

Call me crazy, if you want, but I think I see how to do it!

We have two intractable issues, one intractable president, and an intractable world, but what if it weren’t so? What if those two intractable problems could be swept off the table by a single gesture from that same intractable man?

0 Likes

China’s Belt & Road Initiative is the attempt of the plowshare to beat the sword. That is a good idea on its face value, but the environmental impacts are too seldom discussed. It may be favorable in comparison to the status quo manner of trade, but does it exceed the carrying capacity of the planet? Increased “economic” activity will inevitably do so. There is no more frontier to exploit. Once humanity gets that it may have a chance at mitigating its excesses. Otherwise, it is just a matter of choosing what sauce to put on the cooked goose known as the planet.

2 Likes

Might I suggest a hoisin, soy, chili and black bean sauce for that goose?

1 Like

The so-called Great Wall Of China was actualy built as a roadway–In the rolling hill’s and valley’s of that land it was impossible -on a cloudy day–(no sun to navigate by) to proceed overland without becoming marooned and lost—maybe remaining so for week’s at a time(study photo’;s of some area’s of the great wall)—This is MY belief as to why the “so-called” wall was built-“SKYTRAINZASTRON”–UFO Research --(and other interesting subject’s good for speculation)??–(note–try getting lost along Tex-Mex border–hard or easy-??)Sun shines 360 day’s a year in El Paso–comparison may involve that disparity–(And it wasn’t a Mongol problem–nor is it now a Mexican one–etc. and so -on–)by “Captain Wallroad”–Seeking “Dark Fleet”–

0 Likes

reply by author–Great Wall-actual purpose–(edit–add)see-Great Wall photo’s on a foggy day–)just look at a page full of photos and picures of the great Wall and draw your own conclusion-, Imagesfile:///C:/Users/Carl/Downloads/Great Wall Of China Pictures, Images
file:///C:/Users/Carl/Downloads/Great Wall Of China Pictures, Images

0 Likes

Swiftian indeed!

0 Likes

(from “Imagine: John Lennon” soundtrack)

Imagine there’s no heaven
It’s easy if you try
No hell below us
Above us only sky
Imagine all the people
Living for today… Aha-ah…

Imagine there’s no countries
It isn’t hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for
And no religion, too
Imagine all the people
Living life in peace… You…