Home | About | Donate

A Trade Rule that Makes It Illegal to Favor Local Business? Newest Leak Shows TPP Would Do That And More

A Trade Rule that Makes It Illegal to Favor Local Business? Newest Leak Shows TPP Would Do That And More

David Korten

Secret negotiations on the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP), a trade and investment agreement involving 12 nations of the Pacific Rim, are coming to a close, and President Barack Obama will soon submit the final agreement to the U.S. Congress for approval.

Presumably, he will urge the deal’s passage with the same unsubstantiated and misleading claims his administration has offered all along: that the TPP will support Made-in-America exports, enforce fundamental labor rights, promote strong environmental protection, and help small business.

Meat on the bones of our suspicions - and fears.

Good article.

mcp

"Presumably, he will urge the deal’s passage with the same unsubstantiated and misleading claims his administration has offered all along: that the TPP will support Made-in-America exports, enforce fundamental labor rights, promote strong environmental protection, and help small business."

If U.S citizens had an honest, functioning media then reporters would point out how the SAME promises were made by Bill Clinton in relation to NAFTA. These reporters, pundits, and journalists could then PUBLICLY expose what's actually taken place since in the form of:

1. Wealth aggregating to the topmost portion of the financial pyramid
  2. That legions of virtually orphaned children threatened by local drug gangs have risked their lives boarding trains and seeking ways into the U.S. to reunify with absent parents
  3. That the agricultural economy--formerly a staple to agrarian incomes--was eviscerated in Mexico (due to their local farmers being unable to compete with U.S. farmers who enjoy major govt. subsidies)
  4. A whole armed border infrastructure and massive problem with "illegal" immigrant workers
  5. Corporations getting used to no holes barred business dealings and busily purchasing politicians who will open the floodgates to yet more nations to pillage and plunder
  6. Corporate challenges to hard-won Environmental and Labor laws

But U.S. citizens are instead fed slogans, empty promises, false narratives, and lots of tangential pomp, splendor Roman arena style "entertainment" news. After all the horses are let out of the barn there are faint whispers of what might have been done to stop the bleeding. By then, the damage is done and the chorus of pundits sing in unison, "Who knew?"

Having read this far, it's clear that NO nation's leadership would agree to a treaty of this nature were they not blackmailed, bribed, or paid to do so. A more thorough gutting of the rights and necessities of citizens to preserve corporate predators' Divine Right to Kingly profit could not BE remotely more possible.

On this:

"Forms an investment may take include: (a) an enterprise; (b) shares, stock, and other forms of equity participation in an enterprise; (c) bonds, debentures, other debt instruments, and loans; (d) futures, options, and other derivatives.."

When an honest thinker considers how thoroughly the stock market has been inflated by FAUX assets--things like BETS on LOANS (which means an ABSENCE of actual product) and that out of THIS bubble, these trade treaties will enable corporate criminals to use inflated stock "assets" to purchase the NATURAL RESOURCES and actual wealth of other lands, one begins to wrap their mind around how felonious and extensive this graft really is. The only thing that qualifies as a competitor in the rush to Dante's inferno are wars begun on the basis of planted evidence and fake triggers.

What have they done to the earth, what do they now PLAN for "our fair sister." Jim Morrison... you had it right!

The Constitution compels each President to arguably protect the rights and security of citizens.

From Mr. Korten's important article:

"The article continues on with six additional provisions, which together prohibit governments from requiring that a foreign investor be under any obligation to serve the host country’s people or national interest."

The above would be regarded as high treason if our government had not become wholly captured by corporations. Our loathsome Supreme Court's usual suspects would have no problem bypassing the Spirit of the Law as they did with "Citizens United" and the recent decision that deprives Black voters of hard-won voting rights (I don't recall the name of that odious bit of misguided judgment). Thus the difficultly of holding power to account for breaking laws as serious as those enshrined in our nation's founding documents.

This is The Big Lie:

"Obama administration officials say these provisions are needed to level the playing field for American companies doing business abroad..."

It's almost a done deal, "WASHINGTON -- The two top lawmakers on the Senate Finance Committee announced Thursday that they are nearing a deal on a bill to give President Barack Obama the fast-track authority that he will need to push mammoth new trade deals through Congress" Senator Hatch and Senator Wyden are in accord. The above from Huffington Post.

Even if this agreement does not pass , the very fact that our political leaders entered such negotiations Demonstrates we do not live in a democracy and that these bastards are fully owned by monied interests.

This akin to people calling themselves humanitarians entering into negotiations so as to determine which of the worlds ethnic groups are to be exterminated.

TTP, TTIP are sealing the deal on global fascism with corporations owning governments. How can anyone deny the conspiracy of the rich?

Hey Oregon - start the Ron Widen recall/impeachment. What a sellout.

He and his buddy, Paul Ryan.

The Obama family is preparing to pop the champagne corks. Signing TPP buys them a lifetime pass on the corporate "speaking fee" gravy train that has provided an 8 figure annual income ($17 million in 2013 alone) for the Clinton's since Bill left the white house in 2001.

You know the media is not talking about this. That lets it up to us to inform the public and be lobbyists.
Today I made 7 phone calls to members of Congress. I sent several tweets, one to the traitor Wyden. I signed about 10 petitions and then posted all of them on my Facebook page and some of them on other Facebook pages I help with. And I just got back from delivering about 30 flyers in my neighborhood and I want to do more tomorrow. And I sent some info to political groups I am involved with. There are lot of sites where you can get flyers. Here is one: see CWA's stopthetpp.org - there are several links to flyers there, including a 1 pager.
I am sure Public Citizen must have one.
Please make flyers and educate people. QUICK
I have been trying to educate people for sometime but I really expanded my efforts today.
And I hope to send a few more tweets today.

Word. It seems that now, the last two years of any President's term is devoted to setting up a path to "replenish the old coffers" as GWBush so inelegantly put it.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.