Home | About | Donate

'A Truly Horrifying Pick': Fury Over Trump Nomination of Amy Coney Barrett to SCOTUS

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/09/27/truly-horrifying-pick-fury-over-trump-nomination-amy-coney-barrett-scotus

3 Likes

The stark differences between the GOP and the Democratic Party are obvious when you look at the record of this religious fanatic who resembles a character from The Handmaid’s Tale.
Democratic presidents nominate people like RBG.
GOP presidents nominate drunken fools, right-wing whores, and theocratic fascists.
GOP Supreme Court nominees are chosen because they support gestation slavery, a president as King, gutting all environmental, consumer, workplace, civil rights protections, and voting rights, empowering gun nuts, police and the wealthiest people and corporations, and dismantling the New Deal.
This Barrett lunatic with the Michelle Bachman eyes must be blocked. There are ways to do it. The progressives in Congress are ready to hit hard. We’ll see if Pelosi, Schumer and the corporate sellout DINOS are ready as well.

26 Likes

I fear a break in the line between church and state.

11 Likes

The new justice would make seven out of nine of the Court Roman Catholic. Diversity by gender or race is not the only thing we should consider–diversity by religious belief is important, too. Would love to see an avowed Atheist on the Court.

21 Likes

Last night I had the privilege to play bridge with a collective wealth of 298 years. My partner and I went down, but so what. I should say he fled Hitler at the age of fifteen. This Nazification of America makes me sick. — As I was typing, my phone rang. It was a Jewish bridge co-conspirator asking if I would be so kind as to play some chess with my 102-year old German (Hitler Hater) pal this afternoon. Because Fuck Trump and his Hateful Ideas!

13 Likes

The trump/GOP regime is a clear threat to the nation, people and environment. Given their utter contempt for truth, precedent, justice, US Constitution, and the Common Good, to serve their narrow-minded extremist ideology.
this nomination and frantic rush to cement a right-wing - aka “conservative” - court majority on the SCOTUS must be recognized for what it is and stopped by any means! If this move cannot be stopped there must be a re-balance by any means!

Beside highly questionable record on case law, to me the story is told by the unprecedented youth of this nominee designed intentionally to dominate the court, and America, for decades regardless the needs or wishes of the public. I believe that scotus nominees should have a relatively fast turnover to more accurately respond to different needs, not be cemented for 40 years plus! Are YOU prepared to accept the thinking of this person for the next 40-50 years?? Should America?

Nominees should be required by law to over a certain age to allow that “quick” turnover that is fair and just to/for all Americans, not a court locked into a mindset that may ignore critical issues like Global Heating and other environmental issues, NOT serve corporate interests and profits over people and our planet!

The court and its justices have for far too-long been nominated for their youth, not experience, wisdom, impartiality to political considerations, respect for established law and precedent.

Republicons will pay a very high price for this contempt for America, and that beging with voting OUT the Republicons (and Quisling unDems)!

13 Likes

Barrett was obviously chosen to overturn Roe v. Wade as well as to repeal Obamacare, both of which conflict with her extremist right-wing ideology.

Interestingly, Barrett’s writings about Catholic judges and the death penalty, which is condemned by the Catholic Church, express her view that such a judge has an obligation to recuse herself from such a case because she would not be able to be impartial due to her religious beliefs.

Therefore, when she is questioned at her Senate confirmation hearings, she should be reminded of her own writings about the obligation of such recusal, and asked if she believes a Catholic justice also has the obligation to recuse herself/himself from cases about abortion and contraception, both of which the Catholic Church opposes and condemns, which would prevent her/him from being impartial.

That would apply to the other FIVE Catholic Supreme Court Justices: Chief Justice John Roberts, Samuel Alito, Brett Kavanaugh, Sonia Sotomayor, and Clarence Thomas.

Barrett’s confirmation to the court would bring the total of Catholic Supreme Court Justices to SIX out of nine Justices, five of them conservative Catholics appointed by Republican presidents.

How could such a court, heavily-biased by five conservative Catholics, be impartial in cases conflicting with their strongly-held religious beliefs?

We must remind our Senators, especially Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer, of Barrett’s writing about recusing oneself from cases which involve one’s religious beliefs, and encourage them to question her about this in relation to abortion and government health care funding making contraception available to those who want it and whose religious beliefs are NOT violated by abortion and contraception.

Contact your Senators this week: 202-224-3121 and 202-225-3121

Contact Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer (even if he is not your state’s Senator, because he is the Senate Minority Leader)

PLEASE ACT ON THIS ASAP!

21 Likes

A U.S. KKKristian theocracy is exactly what the Evangelical “Christians” want.

Support all candidates who STRONGLY support separation of church and state.

Support Americans United for Separation of Church and State, which works with the ACLU to keep that separation in existence through threats such as that posed by regressive “justices” such as Barrett, who even oppose civil rights legislation.

18 Likes

Appointing a Supreme Court justice who is determined to destroy the Affordable Care Act and protections regarding pre-existing conditions in the middle of a pandemic is analogous to the captain of the Titanic rushing on deck and shouting to the crew, “The ship has been hit by an iceberg. Destroy as many of the lifeboats as you can before it sinks.” Such is Trump’s and the GOP’s idea of leadership.

23 Likes

SCOTUS has almost never been a friend of ordinary working people. Quite the opposite. Bring on the crazies. End any legitimacy of all of these reactionary institutions once and for all.

7 Likes

A couple of thoughts re this article and this nomination:

In the article, Ben Jealous suggests that Senators following Trump “over the cliff” with this nomination will pay a price because their constituents are in love with the Affordable Care Act, in particular, it’s coverage of pre-existing conditions:

"People For the American Way president Ben Jealous directed his attention to Republican senators, asking in a statement: “Will they follow Trump and Mitch McConnell over the cliff in ramming this disastrous nomination through? Or will they stand up for their constituents who want their healthcare protected and expanded during this pandemic, and the millions of Americans who could lose coverage for preexisting conditions?”

“It comes down to this,” said Jealous. “Senators who ignore the will of the people so they can put another nail in the coffin of healthcare are putting another nail in the coffins of their own constituents. Come November, voters will remember this betrayal.”

I don’t buy it. Trump’s Death Cult will lend full throated support to this nomination and they’ll vote enthusiastically for the Cult’s senators supporting it. Voting against their own personal and financial interests has never been a serious consideration for Trump supporters, once their leader tells them what he wants. The senators Jealous says will pay a price in November for following Trump off the cliff well know the sentiment of their constituents. It’s the reason they so consistently and shamelessly support the Trump insanity. The last thing those constituents want from their senators is a sudden return to reasonable and rational government. The overriding intent of those voters is to destroy any semblance of what they have come to believe the Democrats and their liberal minded judiciary have done to their country.

As for this nomination, the unDemocrats appear to be in a tough spot, not that I sympathize with them. They know that it would be a big mistake to attack the nomination based on her religious beliefs. They’re clearly counting on bringing so called Republicans over to their side, including “reasonably minded” Christians of all churches. If they attack the tenets of Coney Barrett’s faith - for example, her involvement with People of Praise - they risk offending those they wish to bring over. They should and I expect they will avoid doing so and that might offend those wanting a 'no holds barred" attack. I just don’t see such an attack happening. Maybe they really do want to win.

4 Likes

I wonder if Pelosi has a jacket with writing on the back: “I don’t care. Do you?”

13 Likes

File a lawsuit and see where it goes. We don’t need much of a stall, and the court has no real reason to hurry this along.

2 Likes

I do not know how much more clear the nazification of the u.s. could be.

People who are ignoring this present GLOBAL danger are either delusional, in denial or cheering it on because they are racist, misogynist, nature hating, science deniers that now have their man.

Simple definition of fascism: a governmental system led by a dictator having complete power, forcibly suppressing opposition and criticism, regimenting all industry, commerce, etc., and emphasizing an aggressive nationalism and often racism.

— Adolf Hitler to a British correspondent in Berlin, June 1934:
" Don’t forget how people laughed at me 15 years ago when I declared that one day I would govern Germany. They laugh now, just as foolishly, when I declare that I shall remain in power!"

People laughed at trump, did endless satires (and continue to do so) on trump as he told people what he is capable of and what he will do. And he then went on to do many things he stated he would do and is acting right now in ways that will secure and expand his power.

When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time.–Maya Angelou

Many people laughed and/or dismissed trump when he clearly stated he had the authority (and determination) to be a dictator. Here is a direct quote from trump last April:

“When somebody is the president of the United States, the authority is total, and that’s the way it’s gotta be. It’s total.”

People laughed when he said he could shoot someone in public and not lose support.

These things that trump states are not jokes. Read Mary T’s book----she states that he has no sense of humor, what he says he means.

Right now his rallies are growing and he has them almost every night with thousands of people that he is getting primed to fight.

Where I live the level of trump boat/ATV/pick up truck caravans is growing by the day. Loudly driving around with trump flags, honking, cheering, leering . . . .

Joe Biden thinks it’s no big deal that trump is telling people if he loses it is because the election is rigged. Biden smiled as if it will all just go away/be OK as trump is ginning up his base to fight and that he stated he may not leave office.

THIS IS NOT NORMAL. IT IS NOT OK FOR A PRESIDENT TO SAY/DO THESE THINGS.

It’s a huge deal. We are here. It has happened before, it will happen again—it is happening here.

With Germans who opposed Nazism failing to unite against it, Hitler soon moved to consolidate absolute power.

Both within Germany and abroad, there were initially few fears that Hitler could use his position to establish his later dictatorial single-party regime. Rather, the conservatives that helped to make him chancellor were convinced that they could control Hitler and “tame” the Nazi Party while setting the relevant impulses in the government themselves; foreign ambassadors played down worries by emphasizing that Hitler was “mediocre” if not a bad copy of Mussolini even SPD politician Kurt Schumacher trivialized Hitler as a “Dekorationsstück” (“piece of scenery/decoration”) of the new government.

German newspapers wrote that, without doubt, the Hitler-led government would try to fight its political enemies (the left-wing parties), but that it would be impossible to establish a dictatorship in Germany because there was “a barrier, over which violence cannot proceed” and because of the German nation being proud of “the freedom of speech and thought”.

Theodor Wolff of Frankfurter Zeitung wrote in January 1933:

It is a hopeless misjudgment to think that one could force a dictatorial regime upon the German nation. […] The diversity of the German people calls for democracy.

Even within the Jewish German community, in spite of Hitler not hiding his ardent antisemitism, the worries appear to have been limited.

In a declaration of 30 January, the steering committee of the central Jewish German organization ( Centralverein deutscher Staatsbürger jüdischen Glaubens ) wrote that “as a matter of course” the Jewish community faces the new government “with the largest mistrust”, but at the same they were convinced that “nobody would dare to touch [their] constitutional rights”.

The Jewish German newspaper Judische Rundschau wrote on 31 Jan:

… that also within the German nation still the forces are active that would turn against a barbarian anti-Jewish policy.

However, a growing number of keen observers, like Sir Horace Rumbold, British Ambassador in Berlin, began to revise their opinions. On 22 February 1933, he wrote,

“Hitler may be no statesman but he is an uncommonly clever and audacious demagogue and fully alive to every popular instinct,” and he informed the Foreign Office that he had no doubt that the Nazis had “come to stay.”

On receiving the dispatch Robert Vansittart, Permanent Under Secretary of State for Foreign Affairs concluded that if Hitler eventually gained the upper hand, “then another European war [was] within measurable distance.”

21 Likes

Sorry I accidentally flagged your great post when I meant to love it and I see no way to undo that. Humble pie for breakfast for me.

2 Likes

You’ve hit on the nomination’s really big potential for harm to the nation. I fully realize and agree with the concerns regarding how this nomination might affect a woman’s right to choose and the broad spectrum involved. But there’s so much more to consider and there’s no limit to how it might affect the rights and lives of those “ordinary working people” you mention. While we cannot know with certainty, based on her record, having this woman on the Court would very likely harm the interests of the masses, including those working people, for generations to come. Healthcare, the environment and climate change, finance and economics, civil rights - the areas of danger are near endless.

2 Likes

Fitting analogy OldGuy :frowning:

In addition to destroying the ACA we need call out the implications of her potential (likely) appointment for nonhuman life forms, ecosystems, global heating etc.

Given many people (too many people, imo!) are anthropocentric, there is course (and understandably) nonstop talk in the news about Amy CB and the ACA, Roe . . .

I’ve heard zero coverage of how her position on SCOTUS will impact the environment (apologies in advance if I’ve missed it here on CD’s!)

Politico touches on it in this piece for those who want more things to keep them awake at night:

h-ttps://www.politico.com/news/2020/09/26/how-amy-coney-barrett-might-rule-422055

5 Likes

This “crazy” nomination may determine if the US collapses as a theocracy or not. She is a deciple of Scalia who was all about church cozying up to the state. Also, is she the one that’s a member of a cult? The ultra misogynous one I keep reading about ‘male’ power and obedience to the husband?

9 Likes

They Shoot Horses Don’t They?

3 Likes

Yeah, me too! A lot of people criticized me for calling Amerika “THE FOURTH REICH” but I was comparing it to the Third Reich when it was in it’s early days in the 1930’s. I am surrounded by rabid Trump acolytes! This is going to get very ugly; especially if Trump steals the election! And that does not mean Biden is much better…BUT WHO WOULDN’T BE!

11 Likes