Home | About | Donate

A TV Mega-Merger That’s Bad for the First Amendment

A TV Mega-Merger That’s Bad for the First Amendment

Jacob J. Hutt

The Federal Communications Commission is currently considering a corporate acquisition that would make a single company — Sinclair Broadcasting Group — the largest owner of local TV stations in history.

“If a man loses pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured, or far away.”
–Henry David Thoreau

The music MUST have variety for the human soul to be enriched and I have NEVER loved Big Brother.

In 1972, I graduated from a suburban Catholic high school. In my junior year, I enrolled in a Modern Literature class, wherein 1984 was required reading. 2019 will mark to 70th anniversary of the publication of George Orwell’s novel, which could easily be perceived as a kind of “playbook” for the hard right. In order to read, discuss, and understand what Orwell was writing about, one must be able to engage in critical thinking, a talent which is severely lacking in people of all ages these days. Without critical thinking, and without dissent, the Republic is really endangered with someone such as the current President and his acolytes in office and in government. It’s tragic that a short comment such as this could be considered a thought crime.