Home | About | Donate

A US Media Lost in Propaganda

A US Media Lost in Propaganda

William Blum

Vulgar, crude, racist and ultra-sexist though he is, Donald Trump can still see how awful the American mainstream media is.

I think one of the main reasons for Donald Trump’s popularity is that he says what’s on his mind and he means what he says, something rather rare amongst American politicians, or politicians perhaps anywhere in the world. The American public is sick and tired of the phony, hypocritical answers given by office-holders of all kinds.

I find this article's analysis to be quite over-simplified, and it seems to applaud Trump.

As to this random comment:

"Just as in the first Cold War, one of the basic problems is that Exceptional Americans have great difficulty in believing that Russians mean well..."

Why is no mention made that military insiders like Allen Dulles made SURE that Americans would distrust Soviets and Communism by fomenting the Cold War mentality, the McCarthy hearings, and the committees addressing allegedly "Un-American" activity?

Why is a comment like that tossed into the hat to suggest that American Exceptionalism spontaneously arose without any help from those propagandists inside the fledgling Military Industrial Complex who understood that peace meant an END to their business. Therefore, it was incumbent upon this ilk to make sure that a viable and enduring enemy could be invoked from the dying embers of World War II.

In lieu of this superficial analysis, one can imagine what TRUTHS Bernie Sanders might expose if he were given one-fourth of the mainstream media time earmarked for the celebrity performer, Trump!

George Shuffleuptous is just doing his job.

“We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the obvious is the first duty of intelligent men."

The article mentions both the media and 9/11 but doesn't mention that 9/11 didn't happen the way the media has told, then and now, the Big Lie (and its many little lies) about that day.

There is much information for the author to peruse here:
ae911truth.org

You would have to read more of Mr Blum in order to answer your questions. He has written entire books on US Foreign interventions and yes speaks directly to US Propaganda and Mr Dulles and how the cold war was MANUFACTURED in the West via propaganda.

When writing a short column such as this there no way he can get into all that detail. In this artice he is not applauding Trump for his policies. He is demonstrating the irony that even a Mr Trump can expose the media for what it is.

To his point on exceptional Americans, I am sorry but he is exactly correct and the term Exceptional Americans does in fact separate those that see through all the lies from those that do not. Those Americans that see themselves as "Exceptional" can never and will never ascribe good intentions to a people they see as "The enemy". I do not think most of the people that post here see themselves as "exceptional" in the way the term used by US Political leaders.

I would suggest the book KILLING HOPE as a start. He has written many others since then but this book details a litany of us foreign actions abroad orchestrated by the CIA and other members of the deep Government. This book was published in the 1980s and was one of the FIRST to detail the wrong doings of the US Government.Since that time he has written a number of others detailing even more of those criminal actions.

These books include Rogue State, Freeing the world to death and , Democracy, Americas deadliest Export. He also writes regularly for the Anti American Empire Report. It was my reading Mr Blum in the 1980s that awakened me to the true nature of the US Government.. These books are very detailed and the information well researched with extensive footnotes citing sources. They are hardly superficial.

Your critique of Mr Blum is unwarranted. It very much like a person critiquing Ralph Nader for an article written because he does not detail in it each and every facet of how the Corporate State operates. People not as familiar with Naders past work and articles or books might well assume he just ignores them in responding to such an article.

[quote="SuspiraDeProfundis, post:5, topic:17220"]

Points well-taken.

I just ordered Lofgren's book on the Deep State.

I may read Blum in the future.

I still find this particular article glib and dismissive.

YOU separated Americans who fell under the spell of the mantra "Exceptional" from other Americans. Many just place all U.S. citizens under a singular blanket condemnation. Again, the issue is where this fallacy came from and who benefited from trafficking in this particular frame. (Hint: M.I.C.)

Very good to see CD pick up Bill Blum. He's always on the money, and knows whereof he speaks.

Let me guess - you probably have never heard of Edward Herman, or his book (with Chomsky) "Manufacturing Consent - The Political Economy of the Mass Media" either, right?

McCain was flapping his lips (talking) In exchange for what?

Bill's Blum's account of this Russian movement of deconstructing USAns and the propaganda they are victims of has provided some interesting insight as to now-departed"Pechorin's" work here.

Nothing says instant self-destructive double-whammy quite as clearly as "Exceptional American". In one swell foop both fool and tool of 'Stockholm Syndrome'. The marionette strings hum in punch and judy style of manufacturing descent.

We could only wish that Sanders was the sort of dedicated anti-imperialist that William Blum is.

Joe Scarborough looks like he belongs in the This Modern World cartoon by Tom Tomorrow:

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Not only have I read the book, I have often referred to it.

You clowns hardly have read as many books as I have.

And someone like you who plays the forum Cass Sunstein in seeking to discredit persons who look further than the allowable discourse, self-identifies AS an engineer but spends his working days engineering opinion in these threads has a LOT to answer for.

When you've read ALL of the following, get back to me:

1. Conservatives Without Conscience--John Dean
  2. The Chalice & The Blade--Riane Eisler
  3. Dangerous Dossiers--Herbert Mitgang
  4. The Nazis Next Door--Eric Lichtblau
  5. The Devil's Chessboard--David Talbot
  6. Confessions of an Economic Hit Man--John Perkins
  7. God and Government--Barry Lynn
  8. Coup D'etat in Slow Motion--Ole Dammegard
  9. The Shock Doctrine--Naomi Klein
  10. The Death of the Liberal Class--Chris Hedges
  11. American Fascists--Chris Hedges

and LOTS of material that is Esoteric....

THEN, you get back to me.

P.S. this is a partial list.

And by the way, I critiqued what's missing from THIS article in the way of analysis. Yet you team-sports boys have decided that I have attacked Blum and his background. That's not only a fallacy, it's your own narrow-prism projection.

I told Suspiria that he made some valid points. And I didn't tear apart his comment which, as always, is full of typos and spelling errors.

SR, there you go again. You can never come right out and write "I'm sorry, I was wrong on that one". You try invariably to weasel your way out of all your misstatements or badly constructed opinions. You must expend a lot of cash on all of the books that you have indicated you would buy and read. I wish I had the time and money to allocate to such reading and research. It wouldn't hurt for you to display some degree of humility now and again.

So Trump is your anti-imperialist hero?

I think you missed that I was trying to point out the the composition error in your comment. You wrote a nonsensical "McCain [talked] to the NVA in exchange for talking". I understood that you probably meant "talked to the NVA in exchange for better treatment. I was just trying to get you to fix it

This statement is precisely what is wrong with the voters in this country and is part of what has gotten us to where we are today. Continually voting, as I have said before, for the best of the worst of choices is like adding negative numbers. One never gets ahead but merely continues to slide backward. Like continually paying the minimum due on your credit card. You will never pay it off.

For all his faults, which are legion, you have to give the devil his due. Trump made George BS. and Joe BS look like the corporate media liars they are!