Home | About | Donate

'A World Without Clouds. Think About That a Minute': New Study Details Possibility of Devastating Climate Feedback Loop

Agree with you completely, webwalk. Okay, maybe adults currently over 80 will shuffle off without the door hitting them on the behind (as it were)… but maybe not. IPCC’s timeline of 11 years to avert catastrophe doesn’t bode well for anyone, really. I’m 62 and unless I die “prematurely” I do expect to live through the serious S hitting the F. If it isn’t already. Ditto for all adults younger than me - that would be anyone over 20, yes?

2 Likes

CHERSKY, Russia — The Russian scientist shuffles across the frozen lake, scuffing aside ankle-deep snow until he finds a cluster of bubbles trapped under the ice. With a cigarette lighter in one hand and a knife in the other, he lances the ice like a blister. Methane whooshes out and bursts into a thin blue flame.

Gas locked inside Siberia’s frozen soil and under its lakes has been seeping out since the end of the last ice age 10,000 years ago. But in the past few decades, as the Earth has warmed, the icy ground has begun thawing more rapidly, accelerating at a perilous rate the release of methane, a greenhouse gas 23 times more powerful than carbon dioxide.

3 Likes

We should have listened to the Scientisrs 3 decades ago. Good luck Kiddies all right… and the rest of us as well.

You are witnessing pure ignorance, as the majority of people are still debating this issue on this message board any all of the others. They refuse to believe it’s already happening as we have Passed the Tipping Point! We can do nothing more to convince anyone.

2 Likes

Really? Had no idea you know more than the Scientisrs. Guess your job is to take swimming lessons. They will come in handy when you least expect it… within Your Lifetime…

1 Like

Let me get this straight. If you deny the existence of global warming(sic) or insist either that (a) there is no need to panic, or (b) nothing can be done, and assume that “business as usual” will roll right along as it has for the past 70 years (during which time business has undergone at least two major changes of course due to globalization and financialization), you are a “centrist.” What then, pray tell, would count as being “right-wing”?

1 Like

The rightward shift , now progressing over more than three decades has gone to the point where Persons clearly on the right wing Like Nancy Pelosi, Chuck Schumer, Barak Obama, and Hillary Clinton are being strongly rebuked by Their NAZI counterparts as extreme liberals. In fact they aren’t even centrists, they are right wing. Ronald Reagan himself wouldn’t count as right wing to these people in today’s political continuum.

3 Likes

…It takes 40-50 years to reveal what was baked into our atmosphere ‘then’. If the ocean hadn’t sucked up 90% of the heat since 1955, the atmosphere would be 97 F. degrees hotter. It will start letting this heat out now because it is saturated. The last time the CO2 and methane were this high (millions of years ago) the ocean height was 150 feet higher than it is right now…guess what…?..10 years ago the methane was at 700-800 ppb, now they are 1700+ ppb…anyone think we have a problem here?..

…Any real ‘notables’ populating the ‘progressive’ side of the aisle. In other words are you aware of a person that could steer us correctly in your eyes. This is not a snark or a troll job…just asking?..

I love it.

There are some who lean progressive on token issues but not the pressing progressive issues, and it is always near impossible to be sure. Obama ran on a progressive platform but in action was pretty much the same as Bush, (a couple of issues aside), except that he was more eloquent perhaps. Seeing people like Sanders and Cortez is reassuring to be sure, but They are not 100% either. Sometimes I think all they do is lend validity to a party that without them has none. I cannot believe that people like Omar, Cortez, and Sanders lack validity though, but they exist in a hostile place with few solid allies and need real support if they are to withstand the constant undermining by their ill meaning colleagues. The Voting records for longstanding members like Warren and Sanders are available to see on key issues like war and corporate welfare, but with the new blood who knows? Its not a smorgasbord, there are only a couple of real choices, and we need a majority, a strong one, and there is no time.

1 Like

To them the necessity is the money, nothing else matters. They will be long gone before the worst hits us. They have all demonstrated that what happens in the future doesn’t matter.
Just look at how they ignore the rich taking the wealth form the rest through tax cuts and loopholes. If they cared, they would be addressing the problems we have, not making sure the rich do well.

I sure do! I heard Al Gore say it in 1986, which got my attention. We did nothing about it and this is now the #1 issue that tops the catastrophe list… our Extinction. Trumps’ Caravan of Bad People are migrants who have no food due to severe droughts. The ignorance on this is astounding with the misinformed using the phrase, “Not in my Lifetime.” There are many Republicans who understand the gravity of what we face but are afraid to buck the system and remain quiet. Implementing a New Green Deal 11 years from now is a Joke. There is no stopping what is to come. The common dream here is to debate everything, never posing any solutions. There is only one outcome and none of us can stop it. Time to build that Ark.

1 Like

I think our best bet is to follow the lead of people like Greta Thunberg. That crowd is going to generate the passion and the enthusiasm and the will to tackle these issues and they aren’t posers. For the most part, their movement unfortunately came too late, for us , for them and for the future. The Uber Duopoly won this one insofar as it is possible for anyone to win an extinction event.

1 Like

I believe this is the place.

1 Like

Clutching at straws??? Worth a try???

Remember Jimmy Carter with sweater on, giving us the message to turn the heat down and use less fossil fuels. He was laughed off stage.
And Ronald Reagan refused to put the solar panels back on White House roof.
Remember the 55 mph speed limit to use less gasoline. Now people in cars are routinely passing me going over 80, giving me the finger.
That was over 30 years ago. And that is today.
A massive reset is about to happen.
Thank ?goodness? for the craziness and scary people in power, it has finally stirred and awakened many among us to act. Thank goodness for the children’s Sunshine movement speaking truth to power. And CodePink.
We all need to be out in the streets!

3 Likes
1 Like

Exactly correct Adam and well said.

Simply stated, here’s how that happened

well…

AND this

2 Likes

Correct.

1 Like