Home | About | Donate

A Year After Adoption of Historic UN Treaty, Support for Nuclear Disarmament Stronger Than Ever

A Year After Adoption of Historic UN Treaty, Support for Nuclear Disarmament Stronger Than Ever

Julia Conley, staff writer

As nuclear disarmament advocates marked the one-year anniversary of the United Nations Treaty on the Prohibition of Nuclear Weapons (TPNW), polling found grave concerns among Europeans regarding U.S. nuclear weapons and widespread support for the historic agreement.

Mondo Senza Atomiche
Italia, Ripensaci

Now, we need the whole world to rethink nuclear weapons and start to imagine a just world that has neither rich nor poor so that strife is minimized. Also, this rethinking needs to be pointed out repeatedly so that, “Never Again!” becomes imbedded in the psyche of the people especially in the USA-- this was the nation that actually dropped two atomic bombs over crowded cities in Japan and, thus, ushering in a nightmare for all the life species on Earth.

Don’t fret, for every nation is about to disarm, just not the way you think.
Once they launch all their missiles they will technically be disarmed. And nobody will be able to build any more. See, problem solved!

Nuclear Disarmament Now, Nuclear Disarmament Tomorrow, and Nuclear Disarmament Forever!

Peaceful Coexistence Requires Nothing Less.

Imagine all of the Money that would be saved, and how much “good” it could be used for.

Strongly recommended reading: The Doomsday Machine, Daniel Ellsberg, 2017.

Disarmament doesn’t work very well. Some fear filled, greedy, thieving, murdering conservative asshole always escalates the danger. We’ll have to trust our robot overlords and hope for the best.

Notice that no nation that actually has nuclear weapons is among the signatories. Nor will they be.

As long as you have nation states you will have nuclear weapons

As a nuclear Veteran (Operation Redwing, Marshall Islands, 1956) I’ve been urging a ban on nuclear weapons, and anything else nuclear, as I have seen and experienced what they can do. To my surprise, I have survived. I am also anti-war as I have seen what that can well lead to.
*Trillions of dollars are spent each year on war; inventing and building new weapons of mass destruction, funding wars around the world, overthrowing governments that try to help their people rather than kow-towing to the merchants of war and greed.
*Very little is spent on helping people, on cleaning up the ecological mess that is killing our Mother, the good Earth. That, apparently, is not as profitable as bombing, poisoning, killing, and putting the bucks in the safe and out of sight where it will help no one.
*I’m glad I’m in my eighties. I’m getting tired of all of this. But I am so sad for those growing up in a world which is losing (or has lost) its morality, its empathy, its charity, its ability to love.

Lately the news seems filled with hate and tragedy;
Only occasionally does love and kindness appear.
Verily, we need a new strategy
Encouraging empathy and forgiveness instead of fear.

Teachers revered throughout history have always taught love,
Hatred is proved but a sordid blind alley.
Youth has always sought a path of enlightenment in the light above.

Now we are facing a cult of hate and destruction,
Engorging itself upon power and greed.
It is time We the People begin giving instruction,
Growing love and compassion with new seed.
Hatred is like being chained to an oar in a galley.
Brotherly love can snap the chain and break the oar,
Or, take the galley and head for an halcyon shore
Resolving in peace, that of hate, we will take no more.

Steve Osborn
28 May 2017

;-})

The details of disarmament are tricky indeed, with the US committed to dismantling the warheads of WWII. They are still working on that, with a long way to go!!!

I’m not so good at data mining, but I know that Anniston, Calhoun County, Alabama still has a pile of warheads to dismantle. And it was the USS Calhoun which dumped nuclear warheads into the deep ocean.

A US doctor some years,ago told me not to eat anything from the ocean.

Right when plutonium stops becoming part of the economy both in destroying it, think nuclear power left overs, and creating it well kind of the same issue. They will start thinking about other ways to intimidate others. Don’t hold your breath it could be thousands of years. Nuclear doesn’t go away over night.

And Japan kinda got us all back with Fukushima but then you are not going to hear a lot about that.

Nuclear the gift that keeps on giving.

Although those warheaded missiles are worrisome they got nuthin’ on the pigheaded leaders at times enabled to launch them.

The plutonium in nuclear power spent fuel is a negligible part of the economy. It amounts to between 1 and 3% of the spent fuel, and the spent fuel is part of the economy only with respect to what it costs to store and look after it, which is a speck out of the economy. Creating plutonium for bombs in production reactors is considerably more expensive, but this is not related to nuclear power.

The disaster at Fukushima Daiichi was a combination of a natural disaster, an old American reactor design (that we pushed on Japan) and a sleazy, corner-cutting operator. And the actual harms stemming directly from the disasters were confined almost exclusively to Japan and local residents. To suggest that the effects of the Tohoku-related disasters, which Japan alone suffered, in any way evens the score for us having needlessly, deliberately, and callously incinerated two of their cities is beyond wrong. It is an affront. And if we don’t hear a lot about this claim because hardly anyone is making it, I have to think that’s a good thing.

Plutonium is a man made element, if you find it in the environment it is because someone put it there. Having said that the externalized costs have a direct and everlasting affect on economy. Making it, destroying it, storing it, using it, cleaning up after it, and treating the effects.

The few warheads it dropped would not have posed a contamination hazard for sea food. The pits would have been uranium or plutonium, both of which would have low mobility, and both would be trivial compared to the billions of tons of uranium already in the seas. (But it’s still a very bad way to dispose of warheads, because you never know who might run across them and pick them up.)

The worst contaminants from the USS Calhoun County (named for 11 Calhoun Counties) were in the hundreds of tons of production and lab waste in ordinary steel drums, some of which they shot holes in so that they would sink.

Even so, the amount of radioisotope contamination coming from those barrels was probably insignificant compared to the fallout from atmospheric bomb testing. The levels from that aren’t as bad as natural radiation, but it certainly would not be a bad thing for ocean life if people decide against eating sea food.

Of course, Trog, worldwide, the dump was not a real big deal. But locally? Was fishing banned locally? What about selling seafood caught there to a larger market? Trash from Fukushima made it in whole pieces to Cali. I stand with my doctor’s advice, thank you.
And if this made it to publication, what dumps didn’t? Nuclear plants are known to leave contaminants in their cooling water. How many nuke plants are on the seaside worldwide?
Nuclear submarines?

Beautifully written, Steve. Thank you!