Home | About | Donate

'Abdicating Its Moral Responsibility,' SCOTUS Paves Way for Resumption in Federal Executions

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/06/29/abdicating-its-moral-responsibility-scotus-paves-way-resumption-federal-executions

So, those “pro-life” judges are only for the lives of fetuses–not even for children after they are born–but the death penalty, as warfare, is ok.

2 Likes

“The U.S. Supreme Court on Monday cleared the way for federal executions to resume following a 17-year pause…”
So how did Obama ordering the assassination of an American citizen and his sixteen year old son fit into the narrative of a 17 year pause in federal executions. Am I missing something? It just goes to show that all presidents are above the law, not just Trump.

2 Likes

Read Just Mercy, by Bryan Stevenson, for background and the fight to reverse the death penalty for the wrongly accused.

We may need to have the death penalty to punish traitors serving in our government.

As well as the rightly accused…

The original Prime Minister Pierre Trudeau coined the term “the Just Society” back in the 1960s and 70s. That was when executions were halted forever in Canada. It will be much more difficult to stop in the US because its society is used to blood, considering the millions who perish from American bombs all over the World every year.

1 Like

Another Obama failure: He had congressional supermajority from 2008-2010 and could have ended executions once and for all or have his supermajority congress write legislation abolishing this horendous practice once and for all, but he didn’t. Sure, Trump is a horrible person but how did we let things get so bad? What about all the “good” people we elected into office to do something about it? Trump is everyone’s fall guy but I always urge to look beyond this low hanging fruit. Remember Trump is a symptom and in his wake there are all these people everyone thinks who are great who failed, enabling him along the way. My point is, it didn’t have to be this way. Those two years were ample time for Obama to protect immigrants, abortion/choice, address the death penalty, reschedule drugs…he did none of it and he cant even blame Republicans for it. And now here we all, everything crashing down on us and it is infuriating to see people act like this was a uniquely Trumpian failure

There are people who are eligible to be put to death for their crimes.
In the USA, an obvious example is Timothy McVeigh, who did the Oklahoma City bombing.
In Japan, an obvious example is Shoko Asahara, leader of Aum Shinrikyo, which committed the Tokyo subway nerve gas attack.
In Germany obvious examples are the Nuremberg defendants, and many more Nazi actors who had committed many crimes during WWII.
So many of them were executed. (And several more died before they could be tried, condemned and executed - I’m looking at you Hermann Goering, Robert Ley and Heinrich Himmler.)