Home | About | Donate

Abolish the Billionaires!

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2019/07/02/abolish-billionaires

3 Likes

In case anyone is curious, here is a listing of some of the Amazon patents mention by Reich’s article

2 Likes

Patents and patent protection are the absolute opposite of what the “Free Market” is claimed to be just as private property is.

Both are elements of society that can only be enforced by Laws and by Government. As such the suggestion that Government should not interfere in the market is an absolute con. It very much a "Governments should protect MY ability to do what I wish in the market and refuse that same right to everyone else and this interference should be have as its basis “who has the most money” "

3 Likes

Until enough of the 99% acknowledge that it was Teddy Roosevelt and other gilded age reformers, and Franklin Roosevelt and other New Dealers that created the middle class that they have grown up with (primarily by breaking up monopolies, regulating corporations, and leveling the taxation playing field) we will continue to see Amazon, too-big-to-fail banks, and other monopolies continue to expand and control not only the US gubmit, but also gubmits around the world.

5 Likes

An additional option, eat the billionaires, they probably wont taste good, but think how tender they would be from lack of work.
But please clean you’re pitchforks first, no one wants E coli.

2 Likes

. . . putting on my bib.

2 Likes

Dude private property isn’t private property if you have to pay taxes on that property. Once you stop paying property taxes on your property guess what happens?

1 Like

Thank you very much for the information you just shared. Justia appears to be an interesting website. My fingers gotten tired scrolling to try to get to the bottom how’s that patents Amazon owns. Amazonamazing!!! I have a question. Now the billions of dollars that Jeff Bezos has, is that before or after his divorce?

Thank you very much for sharing the information concerning Amazon’s patents. Amazonamazing…
Justia appears to be an interesting website. I bookmarked it for future reference. Once again thank you.

Copyright laws, especially in the age of technology, are extremely wrong, old, monopolizing, opaque, and restrictive to rights and transparency. Alas, they are weaved throughout the US society. It’'s not just Amazon etc. Any government that runs public programs and uses public funds, when they contract out to technology companies, the copyrights are with the company!!!

Billionaire’s can be easily erased. Just set a maximum top wage or income etc.

2 Likes

Robert Reich can never bring himself to say “Abolish Capitalism”

2 Likes

To abolish the billionaires, democratize corporations. One man, one vote should apply to them too.

End one shareholder, one million votes. Buy one share and get an equal vote.

1 Like

Tx for the info

WTF!? Most of those patents are dated this year! What caused that?
in any case. patents like that just need to be busted, they aren’t going to stop anyone outside this country - at best

1 Like

Thomas Jefferson was against Patents.

Just sayin.

1 Like

The french Revolution was a fix. I see it in our future as a nation.

A broken clock is right twice a day.

1 Like

Mr. Reich’s very first point is completely wrong. Amazon isn’t even close to being a monopoly. I buy hundreds of things every week that don’t come from Amazon. Even most of my online purchases don’t go through Amazon. A true monopoly has complete, or nearly complete, control over the price and availability of a commodity. Amazon is a dominant presence in the world economy, but they are far from a monopoly.

1 Like

The idea of private property has to be enforced with violence, which is one of the state’s primary functions.
If you do not pay property taxes the state will have no incentive to defend “your” property.
In a government run by criminals, like the one America has now, they may be more inclined to claim your property if they can not profit from it. They could also refuse to defend your claims of ownership.

2 Likes

Any tax plan that doesn’t include seizing wealth, and the death penalty for attempting to hide it, is doomed to failure.

1 Like

As long as we have fiat currencies, it will always be ruled by a few.
We have no recourse until we create a new monetary system.
An electronic one
Once lets all relevant issues impact its velocity, and take into account the environment.

1 Like