Home | About | Donate

'About Damn Time': In First of Thousands of Lawsuits Against Big Pharma, Johnson & Johnson Ordered to Pay $572M for Flooding Oklahoma With Opioids

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2019/08/26/about-damn-time-first-thousands-lawsuits-against-big-pharma-johnson-johnson-ordered

A drop in the ocean.

3 Likes

Chump change for a corp like this. Make it a real punishment. If corporations are people, then this one is guilty of pre-meditated murder. Head honchos knew or should have known the effects of their product. Therefore…Shut it down. And send the CEO’s and CFO’s to prison, hard time. And not one of those country club joints. No, make it a corporate run prison, with lousy food, slave labor, and sadistic guards. If it’s a fine, then add a few more zeros to the figure, like a trillion dollars. Remember Johns-Manville and the asbestos verdict.

5 Likes

$572 million is not enough. A fine alone changes nothing. It’s just the cost of doing business and makes the government and the attorneys partners in the crime.
CEO’s, Senior Management, Boards of directors need to go to real jails and do real time and lose THEIR personal fortunes. Until that happens this is meaningless

10 Likes

They’re going about it all wrong. People in poverty take alcohol and other drugs, including opioids to ease their pain. We could easily end poverty by ending gross inequality with an UBI, ending regime change wars, using at least half the Pentagon Budget to do so and so on.

Ending the WOD and legalizing opioids, like Andrew Yang proposes and treating addicts instead of placing them in private prisons at 100 grand an inmate, would practically end the problem, as it has in Portugal and in other places.

Opening conservative minds to it is the difficult part. We are exceptional after all…

8 Likes

Please stop talking common sense solutions that are fair and honest. This is AmeriKa after all.

3 Likes

Hi nature boy:
It seems like Big Pharma very often makes the drugs and THEN tests them on unknowing people! Did Bayer ever have to pay the people for the drug that made people feel heroic? —YOU know, Heroin???
sigh-----just another conundrum of life, because if corporations were People, we would see a lot more of them in jail instead of paying fines. : (

Due to the nature of the Corporation as a structure , these fines to little to address injustices. The big players, those that profited most off the sale of these drugs , will not see their fortunes touched.They tend to pull their money out of these stocks long before they see a share price decline. The share value is then kept artificially high for as long as possible by those stars of wall street who ensure that the big players have the time to get out while they can leaving pension funds and mutual fund holders holding the bag.

The structure that is the Corporation is by design intended to ensure that the CAPITAL of the 1 percent always protected and that is why the 1 percent always get richer no matter the number or amounts of such fines.

If those shareholders were help personally liable for their harm they did and if they went after the profits and Capital gains of the 1 percent , the system we call Capitalism would collapse. This is why the system is cancerous and one of the most harmful economic systems ever conceived of by humankind.

4 Likes

JJ stock rose 5% today because speculators were expecting roughly a $17 billion fine instead of 5 1/2 million.
Personally I’m hoping for a class action against them for originating the reason millions of chronic pain patients have lost most or all of their pain medication, causing horrible, unnecessary pain outcomes and suicides.

I agree the award should be much larger, but I also worry what these suits will do to the supply for people in serious pain who need them. We have a few of these people right here on CD, and they will tell you, without these meds their lives would be unbearable.

I’m happy to report that we’re dying by the truckload with a huge spike in suicides expected din the community as a result of this crappy decision.
I’m disgusted by the liberal/left reaction to this issue. Hatred of bad business practices was leveraged into a campaign to eliminate cheaper opiate treatments in favor of far more expensive–and experimental–alternatives that rarely, if ever, work.

My closest friend in the Chronic Pain Patient activist community is going to take her own life in the next two weeks as a result. I hope you fuckers are happy.

So now in addition to jumping into bed with every other alphabet soup agency in the Us government, add “fanboys of the Drug War” to the resume of shame.

3 Likes

Copying @ReconFire

Is your friend not in a state that allows medical marijuana? Reason I’m asking is a friend of mine, with severe hip and back problems, was the highest OxyContin user in our state and successfully switched to an MJ with a very high CBD content.

1 Like

MMJ doesn’t touch most of the severe cases in our community. My friend has Chiari at an advanced stage. MMJ would be a joke for that condition.

Part of the problem is that people have no idea of the true range of painful conditions that exist out there. We tend to base our understanding of pain on our worst experiences. Trust me when I say that few people know how bad something like, say, arachnoiditis can be.

Opiates are some of the oldest medicines known to our species. There’s a reason for that.

1 Like

Sorry for your friend. Of course, I don’t know what her symptoms are; but, you might consider reading the responses to the following post.

Who uses/has uses Medical Marijuana for Chiari Pain? – Feb 18, 2010 - HealthTopQuestions

However, it’s no longer necessary to smoke MMJ, my friends who use it for their pain take it in the form of “butter” and “rice krispies”, which they make at home.

I do this all day every day and have for 19 months. It’s basically my unpaid job.

MMJ is great for the people it works for. Like all drugs/medicines, it doesn’t work for everyone and often has adverse effects, just as opiates don’t work for everyone.

So if there’s any Kratom evangelicals lurking out there, might as well jump in and hand out your brochure, too.

What’s the “this” that you do all day, every day?

1 Like

I’m sorry to here that, I was thinking about you and a couple of others here at CD when I wrote my post above. I should have been more specific, I want the manufacturers to pay for the way they have screwed the public on all meds, and would love to see it all nationalized, but certainly not those who need the relief. I don’t understand it, we don’t allow animals to suffer, but for people, it’s ok. As far as the liberal/left/DINO’s, lets face it, they’ve been into the Drug War since it’s inception. I know we live further apart now, but if there’s anything I can do to help, let me know.

By my calculation, the fine amounts to a little over one thousand dollars per death. They knew this and factored in the small fine as the cost of doing business. If you were to ask them if it was worth it, and if they were honest, they would tell you–like Madeline Albright did when asked if killing hundreds of thousands of Iraqi children was–that it was indeed.

Psychopaths. All of them. Think any of the current crop of presidential candidates are any different…? (Well, one is, anyhow.)

1 Like

Wonder how large of a percentage that measily fine takes out of their profits from the crime.
Also a little unclear on where the money from the fine actually winds up.
Will a handful of lawyers be able to buy themselves a 2nd mercedes, or does some politician’s wife get to take their next shopping spree at Oscar de la Renta?

I’m not sure making opioids available over the counter would solve anything at all. It would likely make matters worse.

Old-fashioned opiates control pain just fine. The chemically tuned opioids are dangerous, and that has been demonstrated many times.

I think the products should be withdrawn from the market and never produced again, just as they did with Quaalude back in the day. There are ample pain medications that work just fine.