Home | About | Donate

Absent VRA Protections, Voters Report Long Lines, Intimidation in Critical Swing States

Absent VRA Protections, Voters Report Long Lines, Intimidation in Critical Swing States

Nika Knight, staff writer

In the first presidential election since the Supreme Court gutted the Voting Rights Act in 2013, voters in many crucial swing states are encountering fewer polling places, longer lines, and in some cases even reporting intimidation.

Greg Palast, investigative reporter was on democracynow this morning describing the over 1 million voters who were eliminated by "cross check." Suppose my name was Fred Donald Duck and a voter in another state had the name Fred Minni Duck, since we have the same first and last name, we are potential voters in 2 states. 27 republican states did this this year.

Also in OH, there is an audit function in the electronic voting machines that stores an image of the ballot that can be reviewed after the election during an audit. Guess what. In OH, several large counties had this security function turned off. Greg Palast and local attorney Bob Fritakis met with Scty of State and got the audit turned on. Still, there were almost 500,000 voters stripped with cross check.

Here is Greg on democracynow this morning

Greg Palast in Ohio on GOP Effort to Remove African Americans from Voter Rolls in Battleground State

If you want to do something different and get ready to fight the oligarchy, Greg's movie "The Best Democracy Money Can Buy" is free today on his web page. It shows an intrepid investigative journalist tracking down voting crimes and along the way the billionaires who are behind voting crimes and outsourcing jobs and benefiting from foreclosure. I saw the movie here in Columbus last night and Greg came by. He lives in LA these days.

At my polling place, voters were given pencils to mark their ballots. Since the top of the ballot specifies the use of blue or black ink pen , I asked about that and was told, 'it doesn't matter, pencil or pen is fine'. When I expressed doubt that pencil was not legitimate because it could be erased, a woman told me that the pencils were soft lead (that was clearly true) and because of that, if the marks were erased it would leave a 'big smeary mess'.

I have no idea if that's true, but given that I reside in the deeply red state of Idaho, I'm unhappily suspicious.

I totally agree that the whole thing is rigged. And these loooooong lines are on purpose -- but I have to wonder why if the election is rigged? I've been in this area for 30 years and never once had to wait on line for 1.5 hours or more like I did this morning. They just like us miserable, I guess.

Apparently there are only two ways to run an election in this country anymore.
* The wrong way and the Reich way which is also the wrong way.
;-})

In Canada, we only use the official pencils supplied by Elections Canada. Any vote that showed signs of tampering would not be counted, but would be kept with the others for the statutory 7 year period and would be accessible for auditing if necessary. If you mark the wrong circle by mistake, you are allowed one "do-over".

Voting Rights Act is gone with a new court appointment. When the south went Jim Crow, it wasn't just terrorism, it was also by changing laws. You can legally rig an election by limiting polling places, keeping hours short, and making it difficult for people to vote (IDs etc.). This is the world we live in now, and the court goes Trump for a decade.

No wonder Dumpf won!