Home | About | Donate

'Absolute Robbery': Gilead Announces $3,120 Price Tag for Covid-19 Drug Developed With $70 Million in Taxpayer Support

As AOC famously said - I believe the answer starts with a “C” and ends with an “apitalism"

1 Like

Ok, but that doesn’t account for our social programs that adhere to Capitalism isn’t that the role of entitlements?

They only adhere to Capitalism when they are commercial entities.

Thank you but that is still an unaccountable generality, there is a provision for this, I just don’t know what it is.

I dont follow what you mean at all, also keep in mind that I am not any kind of expert since I’m not a lawyer.

They are just forming WTO law also, We’re being used to create new WTO law.

They are tired of national laws.

This is from Forbes: This is the case I keep talking about.

~https://www.forbes.com/sites/timworstall/2016/03/05/indias-quite-right-in-the-wto-complaint-over-us-temporary-visa-fees

Medical services are regulated by federal code, “The entitlements” that you hear about sometimes. They are pretty specific. I’m just not that up on this part of the spectrum, only that there has to be one.

HB-1 visas would probably not impact drug prices, but more specifically who would administer them. More likely why your doctor speaks English as a second language. My doctors are Chinese.

Okay - my answer was only semi-serious. The point I would make is that it is easy for companies to “get away” with this type of price gouging when the government is a wholly vested partner in the endeavor.

Normally a pharmaceutical company would negotiate with each country/entity separately or in small blocks. In the U.S. where Medicare is not allowed to negotiate by law the VA and Medicaid will get a better deal than Medicare. Canada will get a much better deal than the U.S. as will every other developed country. Trump just said he’d pay top dollar to Gilead and take whatever stock they had if they agreed to also overcharge every other developed country (Trump would rather buy stuff we don’t need as prices we can’t afford as long as he thinks he’s won some advantage over the Europeans and Canadians by screwing them over).

1 Like

Thank you very much. Yeah, those public-private partnerships, ok.

This is a little more information on this: dpearl is correct on this as a PPP (public-private partnership)

~https://www.who.int/intellectualproperty/topics/ppp/en/

Are they Western style medical doctors or “TCM” “practiioners”?

They are Western style doctors in a medical group.

I found this executive presidential directive on PPP and vaccines too. It is a bit odd forming this type of task force.

~https://www.whitehouse.gov/presidential-actions/executive-order-modernizing-influenza-vaccines-united-states-promote-national-security-public-health/

What is PPP? Do you really mean “PPE” (personal protective equipment, i.e. protective clothing masks, gloves, face shields, respirators, etc. for use in preventing health workers from getting contagious disease. )

Didnt we have one until recently and Trump disbanded it?

I will answer both posts here: PPP are Public-Private Partnerships with origins in Title 3 of the federal code. Applied in the World Health Organization in regard to health services, and amended by the executive directive by Pres. Trump in 2019 that established a PPP task force on vaccines that is quite extensive.

The history of how Gilead is able to announce it’s price tag for drug development and sales.

“Sec. 3. National Influenza Vaccine Task Force. (a) There is hereby established a National Influenza Vaccine Task Force (Task Force). The Task Force shall identify actions to achieve the objectives identified in section 2 of this order and monitor and report on the implementation and results of those actions. The Task Force shall be co-chaired by the Secretary of Defense and the Secretary of Health and Human Services, or their designees.
(b) In addition to the Co-Chairs, the Task Force shall consist of a senior official from the following executive branch departments, agencies, and offices:
(i) the Department of Defense (DOD);
(ii) the Department of Justice;
(iii) the Department of Agriculture;
(iv) the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA);
(v) the Department of Homeland Security;
(vi) the United States Food and Drug Administration;
(vii) the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention;
(viii) the National Institutes of Health (NIH);
(ix) the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS); and
(x) the Biomedical Advanced Research and Development Authority (BARDA).”

It is a little confusing because Title 3 covers a lot of partnerships from education to other business.

Neoliberal ideology doesn’t allow governments to compete with industry. Thats why PPPs are the only means available under this ideology. Also, Neoliberal ideology is against any kind of price controls, basically its a cult that believes that only the “invisible hand” of the market should decide prices.

It needs to be said here that cults are very dangerous things and that a lot of signs exist that we’re being run by a warlike and apocalyptic cult pretending to be two parties. Its a doomsday cult in the sense that it wants to bring the society we live in now crashing down - its not a normal government. Many people can sense that but they have no idea how badlty we are being lied to.

As far as this drug issue, we should be aware that other countries in the world are rejecting the ideology we’re pushing now, when it comes to COVID-19. The president of Costa Rica proposed a COVID-19 technology pool and it represnts a new model for sharing information. The WHO put forward and announced the establishment of this technology pool and we quit the WHO it seems in protest.

1 Like

I would agree. It is confusing on purpose too. I watched a Ted Talk by an International Health professional which touched on this subject and makes sense, an International response entity for surveillance of infectious disease. I think the U.S. is determined to exploit this as much as possible.

Its not just the US, several EU countries have a lot of Big Pharma too. I think Gilead is a French country that is also in the US. An NGO “KEI”, (keionline dot org) has a lively listserv (mailing list) called ip-health which has a lot of info on the various issues.

U.S. Big Pharma has a presence all over the world, in India and China respectively. Medicare can’t negotiate drug prices because big pharma is already doing that. Thank you for the info. I bookmarked it for another time.

The product is not effective enough for people to be certain it works, at all.

Wonder how much corporations will want for something that clearly DOES WORK?