Home | About | Donate

'Absolutely Chilling': Reports From Frontlines of Coronavirus Outbreak Reveal Roadblocks to Testing, Lack of Safety Protocols

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/03/06/absolutely-chilling-reports-frontlines-coronavirus-outbreak-reveal-roadblocks

3 Likes

Mike Pence said Wednesday that travelers from Italy are getting screened “multiple times” before they’re free to walk through U.S. airport security. But that’s not what julia lindau saw.
Gosh, Mike Pence. You know it ain’t right for a Christian to tell a lie.

13 Likes

I does not get any more blatant when the commander in chief - and lets start including this formal title for the sake of ACCOUNTABILITY .

LITERALLY - admonishes critiques with … DO . NOT . COUNT .

It is a fun release valve to engage creative ad hominem but those days are over. The president of the united states needs to have the critique tied directly to the title and his name. There IS aggregate power in accuracy and trump is wide open.

When I think in terms of the numbers, there is also an aggregate strategy of dehumanization to come to grips with. Keep in mind Hillary Clinton’s admonition that a crisis should never be allowed to go to waste. This has become institutionalized

7 Likes

Alas, it’s fine for a Christian to lie if it’s a way to convert more souls to their imaginary sky god. It’s also fine to cheat, steal, and kill. Nothing new here folks, except using a crisis as a way to gain power and finally bring the Christian theocracy out into the open. Jeff Sharlet’s two books, The Family and C Street dissect the various movements with chilling clarity. Pence is one heartbeat away from being President…and he’s already packed the federal courts with his minions. No, I’m not paranoid, just informed and awake. I spent years in such a church and culture; they mean business…

5 Likes

I look into the “shocking update” from GlobalResearch (my goodness, the “Centre for Research on Globalization”) and find that none of the sources cited substantiate the claims of the article’s author – though presented in professional clicktease fashion to imply just about anything. So much for that disgusting piece of crap website.

So much for Callmeskeptical, so far as I’m concerned. If he can’t be more careful than this with his sources in as serious a moment as now, he is not to be trusted and his motivations are highly suspect. His factual carelessness impinges on and exacerbates a genuine international emergency.

We have a boat with 3,500 people aboard (just a few miles away from me, as I write), who have no idea when and where they’ll land, and meanwhile Callmeskeptical amuses himself jerking off around here. It’s absolutely disgusting. I’ll remember his violence against the Commons.

4 Likes

In case anyone would like an example of what reliable information looks like, even though it’s on the web, please see the-scientist mag’s excellent coverage (even boring old Johns Hopkins):

Younger demographics have been far less likely to become sick during the outbreak, so it hasn’t been clear whether they were contracting the virus as often as the older people around them. A preprint published Wednesday on medRxiv suggests that children are just as likely to harbor the virus as adults.

“Kids are just as likely to get infected and they’re not getting sick,” Justin Lessler, an epidemiologist at Johns Hopkins University, tells The New York Times. The lack of symptoms might explain why there haven’t been large outbreaks spreading through schools. Still, children could be passing the virus along to others who are at a higher risk of becoming severely ill, he says.

*ttps://www.the-scientist.com/news-opinion/global-covid-19-cases-top-100-000-67234

Here’s an interesting difference: The-Scientist focuses on interesting information – relevant to how we deal with the outbreak. Maybe it’s a good time to concentrate?

4 Likes

Hi Callmeskeptical:

Oh my—as listening to that nurse, it’s horrifying that doctors and nurses are not provided any ability to protect themselves. The CDC is not prepared—On top of that it appears that an LAX worker has the virus and a person returning from Italy—and no one is screening these people???
I also do find it odd that IRAN is having an even worse time and many officials are dying—and not old people----but younger ones. Wondering too why neither Israel nor Saudi Arabia seem to be affected. It’s also strange that more is happening on the west coast----I guess Trump really doesn’t like the west coast—as weren’t the first affected supposed to
be landing at military bases in Florida—but Trump changed it to military bases in CA?

3 Likes

Accelerate infections for human herd immunity to get past economic fear and restore Trump for four more years. The policy is not what they say. The policy is what they do.

3 Likes

It is disgusting to watch trump lie directly to the public every single day.Today he had a few officials standing by. Every one of them looked uncomfortable while trump was lying, and were quick to nod their heads when there was slight bit of truth.

5 Likes

There’s a scifi novel in there somewhere, maybe about the Earth cleansing itself of the old detritus and the young survivors creating a new world. As an old, it pains me. As a scientist, it is logical.

1 Like

West Coast has more Asian interaction.

1 Like

West Coast has more Asian interaction, where most cases were coming from before Asian travel was curtailed.

1 Like

Almost like someone is trying to create panic and a make this flu into a worldwide
epidemic . . . . by mistake … or on purpose?

3 Likes

Note also Trump saying he was against letting people off the ship outside of San Francisco because he doesn’t “want the numbers to jump because of one ship”.
It’s pretty damned clear where the lack of widespread testing is coming from, the one basic response for any and all things like this is testing so we know where we are. Tail wagging the dog, or ignorance is bliss for Trump. For the rest of us, not so much.

5 Likes

What is interesting to me is that no one has yet explained to the idiot in the White House that by preventing testing it makes the US mortality rate for this virus appear to be twice that of the rest of the world. Which makes the US look like a third world country. And that proper wide spread testing would change that. I understand that he doesn’t care one bit how many Americans die from the virus but I thought he still did want to appear to not be turning America into a shit-hole. Especially with an election and all.

4 Likes

What’s “absolutely chilling” is the criminal incompetence, lies, de-funding of health services to enrich billionaires, the fossil fuel conglomerate and silencing/censoring scientists and health professionals by the great pumpkin - the very stable genius - and his pathological syphilitic mind.

The shift from truth, decency, intelligence and honor to lies, deceit and astonishing ignorance, corruption, personal mental illness, and profits uber alles in this country will lead directly to the deaths - preventable deaths -of many thousands, caused directly by this odious regime from Hell!

Profits? Wall Street market’s health over public health? Neo-nazis and racist bigotry, the endless shuffle of trump sycophants, lap-dogs, and profiteers like musical chairs from position to position in the most destructive, dangerous, hyper-partisan regime in American history is trump fiddling and lying while the nation burns.

A criminal incompetence and derelection of duty and leadership unparalleled in our history should cause people to rise-up, but they have not the gumption or truth to do so. All is well now that the “Democratic Party was saved” by the votes of South Carolina raising credit card usurer joe biden from the politically dead - where he should have stayed - The number of ill-informed, ordinary followers, stooges and shills jumping-on the biden train makes me ill
The entire theatre play seems a freakin nightmare.

Bernie for truth and justice!

13 Likes

The only Christian that I am personally aware of is the one who died on the cross but there have been plenty who have approached christianity to the point of sainthood such as Dorothy Day. Pence is not one. Let’s not forget that Yeheshua (Jesus) was Jewish.

The Trumps and Pences are not pro-life but pro-death. They have zero regard for Life: death penalty being reinstated, callous indifference in the handling of this pandemic, callous indifference to the millions without or with inadequate health insurance to get care (yeah, Fern suggested they can just go to the ER and hospitals are required to treat you but then present them with astronomical bills they can’t pay), exploding inequality, indifference to the ecological crisis and the plight of all species–they are moral monsters.

7 Likes

An example of the biden camp’s agenda, or lack of it, and the voters of South Carolina that tragically raised him from political death, is exemplified in this clip of a biden surrogate’s words, and words qouted from Dr King on white “moderates” or centrists, so-called, like biden, and his support, or lack of it, for the bBack/Latinx.communities.

The “southern firewall” used by the clinton/biden camp has been and remains an enormous fraud perpetrated on people of color who cling to a myth rather than support true racial and economic justice…

ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bdacBIpnbc

3 Likes

Shock Doctorine 101? Went to NYC’s Armory Art Show on Wed (one person wearing a mask, only a couple security folks in gloves). Went to UWS Trader Joe’s, yesterday: Stalin era, yuppie feeding frenzy… same as it ever was? Take CARE.

ttps://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2020/03/06/rich-m06.html

ttps://mronline.org/2020/03/04/no-the-coronavirus-is-not-responsible-for-the-fall-of-stock-prices/

ttps://wolfstreet.com/2020/03/06/stock-market-volatility-jangles-nerves-somethings-afoot/

ttps://www.mintpressnews.com/big-banks-call-wall-street-deregulation-fight-coronavirus/265558

1 Like