Home | About | Donate

'Absolutely Outrageous': UK Judge Denies Julian Assange Bail, Keeping WikiLeaks Founder in Prison

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2021/01/06/absolutely-outrageous-uk-judge-denies-julian-assange-bail-keeping-wikileaks-founder

1 Like

Just get a move on with the appeal. I presume there is a time limit to present it:

~https://www.theguardian.com/media/2021/jan/06/julian-assange-refused-bail-despite-judge-ruling-against-extradition-to-us

1 Like

It was sad that some people were pulling out their dancing shoes a bit prematurely.

This was a token human rights checkmark to absolve Britain of a reckless and political abuse of extradition authority. The slow-motion murder continues.

3 Likes

I knew this wouldn’t be over. The judge didn’t deny the basic validity of the charges against Assange, only that his treatment in U. S. prison would be cruel and unusual. It is outrageous that they upheld the idea of the original charges at all. Of course he’s a flight risk, I’ve been advocating getting him out of the UK to asylum by private jet the minute he’s out. That’s not an original thought by any means.

2 Likes

Have any of the Democrats, such as Biden and Harris, spoken out in favor of Assange and against what the U.K. and the U.S. are doing to him? One suspects not as that would be considered far too “radical” for the moderate Biden and the former prosecutor Harris to do. Those in power rarely support those who criticize their authority. And one should not count upon allegedly progressive organizations like The Young Turks to speak out in favor of Assange and against the unfair treatment which he has been subjected to by the British and the harsh rhetoric of the Americans.

3 Likes

As I predicted: they’ll just keep him in Belmarsh til he dies. The US’s appeal will be given extension after extension until nobody remembers there was meant to be one.

2 Likes

I don’t know. If I am Assange, I would rather be in a UK jail than free on the streets with the likelihood of a US black ops team swooping in and renditioning his ass somewhere to be tortured and killed.

3 Likes

Something to be said for that.

If you lose your appeal the only recourse is the supreme court to appeal the court’s decision. But it can’t just go on and on and on.

I wouldn’t rule that out, even as he sits in Belmarsh. The DEA kidnaped a Canadian citizen on Canadian soil and put him in a federal penitentiary for 5 years for the massive crime of selling marijuana seeds to American citizens. Now consider how much higher Assange is on the food chain compared to that, for all of those embarrassed dem “leaders”, I think nothing is off the table in their minds.

2 Likes

It’s hard to take, watching all the liars and cons get away with bloody murder (this includes most of Congress), get rich, screw people over, lead the country over the precipice, destroy the fabric of our society, support perpetual war, support the dumbing down of the masses, support all kinds of authoritarian policies - while Julian Assange rots in prison for speaking the truth. Of course, he pissed off some powerful people in the war machine and the ‘Democratic’ National Committee so he, and we all, pay the price.

3 Likes

Of course they haven’t spoken out. They fully support the destruction of this man, as they are part and parcel of the establishment that is threatened by truth tellers.

5 Likes

Baraitser, rather than as a ‘just barrister’, served it up like a true “barista”, guzzle down that intoxication, Baraitser, and tell us about the shadows you see flickering across the back wall of your cave.
Tell me Baraitser, would you be willing to throw yourself against the gears of a tragically broken system threatening the entire planet?

Thank you, by the way, for the recognition of the brutality of privatized prison fascism.

1 Like

This was my first thought when I heard the judge’s decision. Freed Assange would be Black-ops dead Assange. Freeing him is license for the spooks to take him out.

Assange’s legal team should have pressed for bail on Monday, obviously the Biden/Clinton cabal got to the judge.

John Pilger: This is a lively and illuminating discussion on why a judge (who is not really a judge) sent Julian Assange back to the dangers of Belmarsh prison, having “discharged” him on Monday. (twitter)

Clinton questioned about comments on a drone strike on Assange: ~https://twitter.com/wikileaks/status/783424443070738433?s=20

1 Like

Biden and Harris would be too much to ask when even Sanders, AOC, or the famous squad, have conveniently stayed quiet. Only Tulsi, Amash, and Gaetz have been vocal. Even Young when asked, blurted out ‘Assange should face justice’. All you need to know about progressives.

2 Likes

By “it can’t just go on and on and on” do you mean ethically or legally? As far as I know, there is no legal limit to the number of extensions that can be granted —if the Court wants to grant them.

Biden is most certainly anti-Assange and will be as anti-media as Obama was. (‘cept for the ones (neolibs) that were regulars at the Joe/Jill Biden yearly VP digs pool party for the neolib press. Pics of Wolf Blitzer in his swim trunks chasing Jill w/a squirtgun may still be on the www. In days past, it was the press’ job to report on the powerful, that includes the VP and POTUS, not mingle w/'em, trading tips on hired help, at the neighborhood brunch.)

Clinton blames Assange, and many others, for her loss in 2016 to Obama. While SOS, Clinton and her ilk are said to have been “joking” about conducting a drone strike on Assange. Assange had a better chance w/Trump than any establishment democrat for gaining his freedom.

2 Likes

the mossad will do America’s dirty work