Home | About | Donate

'Absolutey the Direction We Should Go': Sanders Becomes First 2020 Candidate to Support Felons Voting From Behind Bars

'Absolutey the Direction We Should Go': Sanders Becomes First 2020 Candidate to Support Felons Voting From Behind Bars

Jessica Corbett, staff writer

Sen. Bernie Sanders on Saturday became the first 2020 presidential candidate to speak out in support of allowing Americans to vote from behind bars.

0 Likes

Under the 14th Amendment slavery is illegal except for criminal punishment. However, if everybody is a lawbreaker the 14th Amendment is subverted, except white suburbanites aren’t bagged.

Everyone needs to vote in order to make justice work for once. Also, we wouldn’t have debtor prisons for the poor if rich people had to pay proportionally more in speeding fines, or more than proportionally more.

2 Likes

Great theory but based on a voting system that isn’t rigged.

2 Likes

(psst: 13th Amendment.)

Good post. Fwiw, we’re abundantly entitled to charge whatever the market will bear for the use of our commonly built, commonly owned 37 trillion dollar national and international infrastructure, and since the rich benefit inordinately from what we’ve built, we’re more than entitled to charge for its use an amount commensurate with that use, and that benefit, sufficient to pay for good roads, good schools, and etc.

As you imply, we can additionally stop foisting the cost of insupportable tax cuts the rich buy themselves, through bribery and corruption, onto the middle class and working poor in the form of excise taxes, payroll tickets, exhorbitant speeding tickets, and the like.

A just Congress would not just restore the 90+% top marginal rates of the 1930s through 1960s, supported then by presidents of both parties, but also compute the cost of tax theft and wage suppression by the rich since they bought themselves a drastic cut in the top marginal rate in the 1960s and an obscenely low minimum wage, but would also take back all that was stolen. Fraud must not be tolerated.

Interesting tidbit: The Walton family fortune, shared by six people, is now in the neighborhood of $170 billion. The difference over the years between a living wage if paid to all their employees, and the minimum wage they and theirs corrupted Congress after Congress to suppress along with buying the ability to bust unions and prevent their formation, is right around $170 billion.

I endorse a recuperative economy and legal system that would require immediate compensation for all corporate theft. In this case that would require the immediate recapturing of Walmart’s plunder and its dispensation to all past, low wage employees.

We would also issue one share of stock to each Walmart employee for each day worked, and its employees would continue to run Walmart as a publicly held corporation, sharing the profits among those employees and stockholders, the way Obama could have readily done with regard to GM.

1 Like

Wrt felon voting, it’s hardly clear that the commission of a crime is inherently related to citizenship or its forfeit.

The two have almost nothing in common beyond the vague proposition that if you commit a felony you’re not a “good citizen”–or something. Yet there is a lengthy list on non-felonious behavior indicative of bad citizenship, but we don’t think to deprive voters on that basis.

Forbidding felons from voting has devolved into an exercise in political power. Dems defend it because felons tend to be those unable to buy their way out of a sentence or unable to afford to bargain a felony down to a misdemeanor, and thus tend to be poor, minority, transient, unpropertied… thus Dem-leaning.

Republicans oppose it because of the above. I suppose you could say the GOP opposes felon voting on principle–the principle that felons tend to vote Democratic.

Meanwhile, for those of us not bound to party and its imperatives, is their any inherent reason for depriving felons of the vote? If there is, it remains unstated.

2 Likes

Do you need to know more?

http://newjimcrow.com/

1 Like

Another GOP hypocrisy when you consider that Trump would be a felon if he hadn’t been able to afford so much democracy and justice, and if Congress wasn’t continuing to protect him.

0 Likes

I cannot see a problem with foreign policy opinions or national opinions being voted on by incarcerated people. I will not call them felons or criminals because it is well known that all of those incarcerated are not guilty and also many crimes such as MJ possession and dealing are on their way off the books. Further, the percentage of the population that is incarcerated in the US is one of the highest in the world.

But I DO see a problem with large imprisoned populations in remote areas voting in local elections. This could create new local syndicates.

0 Likes

Local, or otherwise, syndicates, my first thought. I think losing the right, and then regaining it upon release was the right approach.
I’m not sure Bernie was well advised in putting this out just now. He could have done this after in office.

2 Likes

At any rate, his many bold plans are now being picked up mainstream. It appears that MSM has noticed progressives, maybe also thanks to AOC. Today MSN.com pronounced Bernie as the democratic frontrunner. Imagine that!

0 Likes

We all have to accept stark reality at some point. It just takes longer for partisans, including the MSM.

1 Like

Out in front as usual. A man after my own heart and principled! Go Bernie!

0 Likes

Exactly right. Plus the easiest predictor of who ends up a convicted felon is race. So Rethuglicons punish felons in many, many ways to further their white supremacist agenda. In fact, a recent study finds that racial prejudice is also a clear predictor of expressed concerns about “illegal immigration.” In the US, it’s almost always about race, and racism.

0 Likes