Home | About | Donate

Abuse Charges Against a Former Cop Are Disturbing–As Is the Lack of Media Interest

Abuse Charges Against a Former Cop Are Disturbing–As Is the Lack of Media Interest

Janine Jackson

Daniel Holtzclaw is a former Oklahoma City police officer now standing trial on 36 counts, including rape, sexual battery and stalking. Twelve women and one 17-year-old girl have come forward, saying Holtzclaw assaulted them while on patrol. Most of the victims were black, poor and embroiled in the criminal justice system for things like prostitution and drug use—a precarious state Holtzclaw allegedly used to threaten and coerce them.

This story reminds me of all the rapes and murders of young Hispanic women working in the U.S-Mexican border towns as well as other regions. None are investigated. I suppose the crime is chalked up to "Boys being boys." The entire misogynistic underpinnings of patriarchal culture express as much.

Janine Jackson paints another piece of the portrait that could be entitled, "Say Her Name!"

Recently I've found myself drawn back to the T..V. drama (viewed on You Tube) "L.A. Law." It's so much more innocent that the N.Y. version of "Law and Order."

I just viewed an episode that involved police violence and the law-team expressed not just outrage, but the full confidence that such crimes would not go without investigation or redress.

How far this nation has come in the way of being forced to accept so many muscular big brother policies after 911. One can just imagine a cop telling the woman he's raping that he's protecting her security after 911 and that she should be thankful.

I don't know if 12 targeted victims of sexual assault has much to do with mood swings. Probably shouldn't have hired him, sure, but this is an institutional sickness.