Home | About | Donate

Accusing Trump of Trying to 'Subvert the Constitution to Protect Himself,' Senators Sue to Block Whitaker Appointment

Accusing Trump of Trying to 'Subvert the Constitution to Protect Himself,' Senators Sue to Block Whitaker Appointment

Jake Johnson, staff writer

Denouncing President Donald Trump's appointment of acting attorney general Matthew Whitaker—a fervent critic of the Russia probe—as a blatant effort to "subvert the Constitution to protect himself and evade accountability," three Democratic senators on Monday filed suit against the White House and demanded that Whitaker be barred from t

Not to be impeached.

1 Like

I just called each Senator’s offices and thanked them for standing up for the Constitution. I didn’t keep their phone number’s, maybe you too can look them up. It might be nice if everyone did thank them, don’t ya think?

1 Like

“Americans prize a system of checks and balances, which President Trump’s dictatorial appointment betrays.”
—Sen. Richard Blumenthal

Senator - is this the same system in place when we bombed Iraq, Afghanistan, Libya, and Syria?

2 Likes

Acting attorney general is too high an office not to be confirmed that the Senate. Hopefully the court will see it that way and it will be another setback for this attempted fascist takeover of the United States by Trump and his gang with their Russian connections, and Putin and the Russian oligarchs.

2 Likes

Seems to me that there is an awful lot of resentment coming from the democrats. If you want someone that is ruining our country, why not start with Hillary Clinton - no questions at all that she and Barack Obama were responsible for Benghazi and yet no one says a word about that - or what they did in Hati - the list goes on. Giving Iran over a billion dollars - In actuality President Trump has done nothing that touches that and more (include odd deaths and suicides) and then there’s Spartacus, and Lying Bluemthal, and is Harris still seeing her old married boyfriend? Is Beto paying for his criminal background? - No Trump is not perfect but he’s doing a darn good job. I think Mueller needs to change his views and go for the guilty democrats that you don’t have to dig and dig and dig and still not come up with anything. Trump is to good for you people to antagonise him… Leave him alone, He’s smarter than that AG you want. I for one can’t stand him. Leave Whitiker alone.

Wow! You didn’t waste anytime spewing that nonsense around here! Less than hour as a member and you went right after it. Guess you need to show results fast or risk not getting paid.

Newsflash: Hillary lost the election. She’s not ruining (or running) anything in government right now.

Let me help you out with a small edit there:

no evidence at all that she and Barack Obama were responsible for Benghazi

Have no idea what you’re talking about there. Sounds like an Infowars thing.

Don’t think we did that. We did however return funds to Iran that belonged to Iran in return for Iran ceasing their nuclear development program. Nothing wrong there.

Ok, now we’re just into LOL territory.

You have inside info on that? We don’t know what Mueller has. Fortunately, he’s not the type to stay in the press all the time. Instead, he’s quietly doing his job. All indications are that he does, in fact, have something on Trump, his campaign and the Trump organization/family. We just aren’t privy to those facts yet.

Not a chance. His appointment is an unconstitutional attempt at obstruction of justice.

3 Likes

“Crony, indeed” – this would be like Nixon putting Jerry Ford into the Vice
Presidency – unelected – and by Nixon’s own appointing of him, allowing
Ford to succeed to the Presidency … and then PARDON NIXON!!

"The stakes are too high to allow the president to install an unconfirmed lackey to lead the Department of Justice—a lackey whose stated purpose, apparently, is undermining a major investigation into the president," declared Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse (D-R.I.), who joined fellow Democratic Sens. Mazie Hirono (Hawaii) and Richard Blumenthal (Conn.) in filing the lawsuit.

"We want the court to make clear that the Senate must confirm Matthew Whitaker’s appointment as acting attorney general—otherwise this temporary appointment violates the Constitution’s Appointments Clause," Hirono added in a statement.

1 Like

Hey Jimmie, do you get paid by the letter or the word count? Just askin’.

2 Likes

Jimmy you have entered the seventh stage of hell, HERESY. Not sure what the nature of your game is, but know nobody is that dumb.

1 Like

Who or what is stopping the Senate from holding confirmation hearings?

That would be the absence of a nomination.

1 Like

Thank you. I did not think that was possible - I just assumed he’d been nominated and was serving as acting AG while waiting for confirmation.

I really don’t get it.

Why is anyone even giving Whitaker the time of day?

Only the Senate has the power to grant Whitaker authority.

Trump can only recommend/appoint a candidate.

Without Senate confirmation, he’s a guy with a title and no authority.

Can anyone here explain why anybody is even taking Whitaker serious?

The fact that he is “an unconfirmed lackey” (and likely unconfirmable) is precisely the reason the president wishes to “install [him] to lead the Department of Justice.” It’s not a glitch; it’s a feature.

Chump is using a temporary replace!emt law designed for emergency situations to justify appointing Whitaker, but their was no emergency since he fired Sessions. The proper Acting AG would be Rid Rosenstein the Deputy AG but he supports Mueller so Chump is trying this evil stunt. We’ll probably soon find out if the 5 Rethuglicons on the Supreme Court will allow Chump to ruin the Mueller investigation and thereby ruin our representative democracy.

1 Like

Because he has access to the investigation and can inform the Prez of what is taking place…but…there are some 18 sealed indictments already filed that he cannot get his hands on. Mueller’s horse already left the barn :-)))

1 Like

Thanks for the explanation.

This is an abuse of the system.