Home | About | Donate

ACLU Acts to Block Court Order That Permits Discrimination Against Women, Transgender People Seeking Health Care

ACLU Acts to Block Court Order That Permits Discrimination Against Women, Transgender People Seeking Health Care

ACLU

FORT WORTH, TEXAS - The American Civil Liberties Union today filed a motion to stay a nationwide court order preventing the federal government from enforcing an Affordable Care Act regulation that protects transgender people and women from discrimination in healthcare. The ACLU also asked the court to issue a formal ruling on its request to intervene in the lawsuit.

###

Thank goodness, a ray of hope that section 1557 of the ACA may yet be implemented!
It was very discouraging to hear of the injunction from the 5th circuit blocking it. My home state of Wisconsin can use transgender exclusions in the Medicaid program to block medically nessessary treatments, as well as denying services by claiming my legally recognized gender prevents them from providing basic services for body parts I was born with, because I am not that gender! They can deny services on two fronts, not just the one. It is much more insidious than denying transition care. I am sure the state will resist even when section 1557 does get implemented, meaning more lawsuits and delays, but at least the weight of federal courts can override our conservatively stacked state supreme court as well as the Republican majorities in state government. Thank you ACLU for taking this on at the Federal level!