Home | About | Donate

ACLU of Iowa Files Civil Rights Complaint on Behalf of Transgender Corrections Employee

ACLU of Iowa Files Civil Rights Complaint on Behalf of Transgender Corrections Employee

ACLU

DES MOINES, IA - The American Civil Liberties Union of Iowa today filed a complaint with the Iowa Civil Rights Commission on behalf of Jesse Vroegh, a long-time Iowa Department of Corrections nurse who was discriminated against because he is transgender. The complaint was co-filed with the ACLU and cooperating attorney Melissa Hasso with the Sherinian & Hasso Law Firm in West Des Moines.

###

Did this just begin? The plaintiff is described as a "long-time ...Corrections nurse" but the release doesn't say how long that is or whether he's identified and presented as male for all of that time, and it doesn't say what the health care is that is covered for others but not for the plaintiff.

I know from a transgender member of my family how unsatisfactory it is to have to use a unisex restroom, though it was more difficult for her at the beginning of transition to be forced to use a gendered restroom. And my family member works in an arts institution, which I'm sure is much more receptive to gender fluidity than a corrections environment.