Home | About | Donate

ACLU Sues Baton Rouge Police for Violating Rights at Alton Sterling Protests

ACLU Sues Baton Rouge Police for Violating Rights at Alton Sterling Protests

Nika Knight, staff writer

The American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) of Louisiana and other local civil rights groups filed suit against the Baton Rouge police department on Wednesday for violating the first amendment rights of demonstrators protesting the recent fatal police shooting of Alton Sterling.

"Seeing the way the police were manhandling folks caused me to hide, scream out of fear, and finally flee for my safety. I had to run."
—Crystal Williams, North Baton Rouge Matters

While the corporate media sings the praises of the community policing policies of the Dallas Police Department and the politicians congratulate one another on "how far we've come," what we see in Baton Rouge is a stark reminder that little has changed.

The militarized police department of Baton Rouge has learned nothing since last summer's tragic events in Ferguson, MO. Neither have the police in Falcon Heights, MN.

The heavy-handed tactics in Baton Rouge are all too familiar. And the results are equally alarming.

Here you can see the effects of a lousy education, deep-seated arrogance, and an almost ludicrous tone-deafness to shifting societal perceptions. The Baton-Rouge police department will find itself being scrutinized and eventually reprimanded and even punished, all negative externalities they could have prevented with the smallest amount of good will and understanding of their actual role within the community. At this point, all I can say is...glad i don't live there.

If ever a picture were worth a thousand words, Jonathan Bachman proved the value of BEING CONSCIOUSLY PRESENT.

The elegant, stalwart firmness of this young woman speaks volumes. There is a coherence of such strength that it conveys, from my perspective, precisely the components of the mirror that needs to be held up to a crazed and deluded system.

I once had a dream that there was a march on Washington of the 99% - the full spectrum - no placards, no chants, just unity in movement back to the reflecting pool and then... for speakers.
Jill Stein, Cornell West, - imagine the potential roster

They may say you're a dreamer---but you're not the only one....

Who is gong to Enforce Our Constitutional Rights when Our Representatives, sworn to Uphold, Protect and Defend them are the very ones Denying Them?

I agree that the picture says it all ,, the calm determination of the woman , and fear in the body language of the police in combat gear ,, what's wrong with this picture ?? I'm ashamed !

Lauding police agencies when they do not want or work for change is not warranted - violence from police must not be tolerated or overlooked by politicians!
Far too many innocent people have been murdered by police violence as the first and often only response, and belligerent mindset - not to mention increased violence-inducing steroid use.

The response to the murders of police in Dallas should not be to repress free speech or come against protesters in riot gear and automatic weapons, or to arrest them for speaking out, it should be for police to remember who they serve and support reform and accountability. There will be no peace until there is justice and real accountability for cops that kill innocents!

If police want a new beginning and relationship with the people they must reform and weed-out killer cops and brutality!

I hope the lawsuits bankrupt the city, all the managers are fired, and all the pigs lose their jobs.

I guarantee the orders for what the Baton Rouge pigs did came from the top.

I wouldn't doubt that steroids are PROVIDED to the cops on the streets to make them more violent. This is brutal fascism -- and nothing less.

You said it exactly. It's the best photo. The stark difference on the left and right tells all. There she stands so beautiful and peaceful with a strong calm soul inside --- and on the other side -- pure hell confronting all that is GOOD.

Your reference to steroid use inspired me to search police use of steroids.
Oddly enough the vast majority of coverage dates back to 2008-11. I did find one small blog that looked at the articles I had found and presented a compilation on the question. Time to revive the national conversation.
Are Cops on Steroids a Contributing Factor in Excessive Force Cases?
Feb 26, 2016

and then there is a 2008 Police Chief Magazine article with a very interesting list of authors:

Anabolic Steroid Use and Abuse by
Police Officers: Policy & Prevention

By Commander Kim R. Humphrey, Professional Standards Bureau, Phoenix, Arizona, Police Department; Kathleen P. Decker, M.D., U.S. Air Force; Linn Goldberg, M.D., Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, Oregon; Harrison G. Pope Jr., M.D., Harvard Medical School; Joseph Gutman, M.D., Practicing Endocrinologist, Tempe, Arizona; and Gary Green, M.D., University of California at Los Angeles (UCLA)

Thanks oldgoat! There are studies on short-term and long-term violent behaviors and belligerence by steroid users. I posted several as well as the police union defending steroid use as a "right" of cops.
When there is a clear violence problem with many cops and there is a probable/potential cause of such that is not addressed there is something very wrong that must change!

"Steroids are classified as a Schedule III controlled substance with possession carrying a $1,000 fine and a year in prison, according to federal law. Trafficking carries up to a $250,000 fine and five years in prison for a first offense." http://thelawdictionary.org/article/why-are-steroids-illegal/

"Scandinavian research suggests they may also cause brain damage linked with long-term violent behaviour."
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/lifestyle/wellbeing/diet/3303205/Anabolic-time-bombs-could-steroids-turn-you-into-a-violent-psychotic.html

.....keep the faith!

Citizens do not Confront Power unless Abuse of Power has Provoked the Confrontation.

How can there be any doubt left, America has seen so much violence from our Authorities.

I could not believe the composure and empathy shown by brave young Cameron Sterling, son of the murdered Alton Sterling. A fine young man teaching us that it is only a few cops that are bad, it simply isn't all cops. That those people in Dallas did not deserve what happened to them..

My God what a Soul....Sterling is such an appropriate name for the young Man.

I would also bring additional relevant points to bear.

With our society being what it is, how the ranks of our forces are made up, many of our Police suffer from Concussion, PTSD, Steroidal Frenzy, and just plain Mental Pathologies and Personality Disorders.

Look at the physical and mental affects of the above elements, and then look how our ranks are formed, look how we recruit, look at our pool of prospective officers. These men are not even screened effectively for these affects. If fact, behavior that displays the trauma is often times lauded and solicited.

This is fundamental group pathology on display, influencing individual’s decision-making processes, causing a shared pathology that is escalating before our eyes.

We need the American Psychological Association studying this not torture.

And once more the ACLU is doing our heavy lifting.

To be confronted by what looks like robots; actually humans with expensive gear paid for by the taxpayer would totally piss me off. I personally do not let myself be intimidated.

"We can't bring Alton Sterling back but at minimum, the police can stop blocking our right to protest in his name," : Methinks it is way past the time for mere symbolic gestures. These thugs in blue are the KKK. Time to place a monkey wrench in their designs and adopt the Gandhi inspired total non cooperation.

Fascist amerika has been a police state for a long time; going way back to the terrorist decimating of the native people! Now its much worse, as imperialist amerika decimates the World!
The rest of the World is awakening to the imperialist terror state, that is amerika! The empire will fall!

"Land of the free and home of the brave"? How different is the picture of the woman standing in front of the Police swat vehicle in baton Rouge from the man standing in front of the tank in Tiananmen square? Well, just how different is the US police state from the Communist police state? Tell me, I want to know!

It seems like it will have to fall om the shoulders of the likes of the Micah Johnsons among us in every city.