Home | About | Donate

ACLU Sues Cleveland Over 'Draconian Reach' of RNC Protest Rules

ACLU Sues Cleveland Over 'Draconian Reach' of RNC Protest Rules

Andrea Germanos, staff writer

The American Civil Liberties Union of Ohio on Tuesday filed a lawsuit in a federal court against the city of Cleveland charging that the rules for the 2016 Republican National Convention violate free speech and "criminalize everyone."

Bring out the jack boots...the deceased Daley is dancing in his grave as he set the precedent for police brutality at the 1968 Democratic Convention in Chicago. What has changed since then is the militarization of the weapons, armor, and armored vehicles (assault) that will serve to create even more mayhem and carnage. Somehow I do not think the framers of the Constitution had this in mind....

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Welcome to the police-state! What Black Americans have to deal with every day is now directed at white, middle-class Americans by the party of Trump.
The revolution in Cleveland will not be televised except outside the "security zone" enforced by police thugs!

My question is what will be the "kinder & gentler" rules at the Dem Convention in July in Philly look like? When the Sandernistas show-up by the tens and hundreds of thousands (hopefully) what will be our expressions of free-speech be met with?

"Number 14. Fraudulent elections. Elections in the form of plebiscites or public opinion polls were usually bogus. When actual elections with candidates were held, they would usually be perverted by the power elite to get the desired result. Common methods included maintaining control of the election machinery, intimidating an disenfranchising opposition voters, destroying or disallowing legal votes, and, as a last resort, turning to a judiciary beholden to the power elite."

From "The 14 defining characteristics of Fascism" by Dr. Lawrence Britt

http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article4113.htm

Please note the continuing emphasis by the media on the fact that in the Orlando massacre a SWAT officer was saved by his military-style Kevlar helmet. I believe this is an attempt to justify continuing the militarization of police in the face of growing calls to strip municipal authorities of their military surplus equipment. I don't think I'm overstating this, and it has implications for Cleveland. Just remember, this city is majority African-American, has black political leadership at all levels, and is overwhelmingly Democratic. Yet, the ACLU has to sue them to get basic rights for political dissent. Just remember this when the Clinton people ask you for your vote in November.

It appears that the police will be seeking to dissuade people from participating in demonstrations by issuing civil fines. These fines, which will be nearly impossible to fight in court, will be $100 each, and several can be issued to any individual during the duration of a protest activity. For those who are not wealthy, such fines can be more of a disincentive than arrests.

Those fines against those who can't afford to pay, are also a mechanism of ultimate control i.e., people getting incarcerated for non payment of fines. There are people serving months or even years stuck in jail for accumulating unpaid parking tickets for instance. Just adding to your point.

Some will shout, pay the damn ticket! Others, having experienced poverty, know how clueless such judgments against the poor actually are.

Cleveland taxpayers are made of money. That's why they approve handing so much of it over to the victims of the coming police riot. For every single political convention going back to perhaps Chicago in 1968, the police have rioted, the city has bought good lawyers but lost in court, and the local homeowners have been made of money. Good luck with all that, folks.

There's a huge mobilization of activists going there. The authorities cannot be unaware.

Here's an important use for Crowdfunding.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

No big deal, just repression that goes with destruction of the First Amendment and all around totalitarianism.