Home | About | Donate

ACLU to Cities: Defend Online Privacy, Net Neutrality With Publicly Owned Municipal Broadband

ACLU to Cities: Defend Online Privacy, Net Neutrality With Publicly Owned Municipal Broadband

Jessica Corbett, staff writer

In response to Republicans' recent attacks on net neutrality and digital privacy protections at the behest of giant telecommunications companies, the ACLU is calling on local government leaders to establish municipal broadband systems.

"States, cities, towns, and counties should take matters into their own hands by creating publicly owned services that do honor those values and can help ensure an open internet."
—ACLU report

They may become the only real defense against the destruction of net neutrality. But just like with fracking, if enough towns try to actually create publicly owned Municipal Broadband, I expect the corrupt State Legislatures to step in and stop it. The Fascists always seem to have another card to play.

Here is some background information on the way the United Kingdom is dealing with the same situation with its PUBLICLY owned internet services:

My point being the America needs to find its own way of dealing with the internet situation, but can look to other countries and their different ways of handling the same situation. In other words, finding out what the common experiences are with the internet, what looks like the most effective alternatives and what has not worked and needs to be avoided.

Wouldn’t you like to see these mayors put our money where their mouth is?

After spending hours yesterday pingponging between Spectrum and AT&T to get a better deal, I have my hand up.