Home | About | Donate

'Act Now. Our Lives Are in Your Hands': Demanding Climate Action, Extinction Rebellion Shuts Down Traffic in Five UK Cities

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2019/07/15/act-now-our-lives-are-your-hands-demanding-climate-action-extinction-rebellion-shuts

1 Like

In a statement, Extinction Rebellion said it is calling on the British government to act to “halt biodiversity loss and reduce greenhouse gas emissions to net zero by 2025.”

The british government though cannot halt those two things for the entire planet. It will take a global effort to do that.

2 Likes

Rather obvious… I don’t think it even needed saying… are you implying you don’t think starting somewhere is a good thing?

1 Like

Not at all. Just that unless the whole world participates then any individual country effort will be futile.

Let’s just have a global conference to discuss this matter. All seven billion plus people can fly to a selected destination to plan changes. Mike Pence can split fish and loaves for the masses. Trump can assure US that it is just a “Jinese” hoax. All can return to SNAFU. Life goes ___?

Wow that’s some serious defeatism there… dark even for me!

2 Likes

I will say something radical for climate change. Cease eating animal and animal products (beef, pork, chicken, fish, dairy, etc) because it is proven that, along with the other sources, this is the biggest cause of climate change. Want to make a difference? Eat a whole food plant based diet, save your environment, save your health, and put all the causes of the climate problem - out of business.

1 Like

“ and if it takes civil disobedience to make a difference, then so be it." I’ve been a strong advocate for taking Action rather than trying to talk or handle this matter in a peaceful way. I suggest every country selects a Leader and joins together with other countries and push all aside who stand in our way. Sorry 2025 won’t cut it! Climate Change is upon us Now and we must act as such… Now!

1 Like

If Americans were to be so bold as to shut down major streets we’d be gassed or water cannoned and hauled off to jail. In some states, it would be perfectly legal to run us over and kill us with a car. I, for one, am grateful for Greta and all the Europeans that are putting themselves out there.

4 Likes

I prefer to call it realism.

1 Like

The upcoming COP26 in London will amount to the same thing as Paris. Representatives from around the world will fly there by JETS and present their information and government’s concerns and they will all agree that we are facing the greatest threat to humanity in its history and then they will probably arrive at a non-binding agreement and fly home. The entrenched interests of the energy cartels shouldn’t be too worried. Didn’t the right-wing asshole, Mike Pompeo of the U.S., recently state that the unprecedented loss of ice in the Arctic now gives more access to the mineral “resources” and oil of the region? Another example of our insane denialism is the fact that the state of Florida (which stands to be decimated by rising ocean waters and more frequent and more powerful hurricanes has stated that terms like “global warming” will be excluded from state documents! The insanity continues.
Meanwhile climate scientists are gravely concerned that we have already passed any kind of meaningful “tipping point” in which global heating and climate disruption will increase no matter what we do. They are also deeply concerned about what has been referred to as a “methane burp” of billions of tons of methane being suddenly released from permafrost areas around the North and this powerful gas contributing to runaway global heating.
The United States is still addicted to the concept of the “Happy Motoring” lifestyle as described by James Howard Kunstler. This lifestyle has been adopted all over the world and there are now something like 1 billion cars and vehicles operating all over the planet. At the same time the U.S. still doesn’t have any real high speed rail system and we remain in big favor of trucks, minivans, SUVs and poorly insulated houses. Our interstate bus systems have also withered. What a profound mess and how are we ever going to explain to our grandkids how we left them such a decimated future?

4 Likes

Individual efforts, by either an individual country or a single person are never futile. In an absurd world, they are, in fact, what gives life meaning.

3 Likes

Correct. And i am part of an environmental (ngo) group - only 10 members at present - who are currently campaigning to clear our local river along with other small projects. However our efforts will not solve many other issues in the region relating to the environment.

If you are not preparing for the Great Dying you are in denial.

Only love remains.

1 Like

Absolutely LynneC. And once you stop eating animals and animal products you realize it was pretty easy and not as radical as it first sounded!!

1 Like

I have been doing that for a long time, not at all radical to me! What is radical is that some people would call your suggestions radical!

3 Likes

Sounds like you are spreading defeatism to me and I do not mean to make that sound like an attack Wings. It isn’t . I actually get as I am quite regularly feeling defeated but announcing the acts mentioned in the article are pointless like you did in your original post, as if you are some passive bystander to destruction is not helpful- it makes others feel defeated and powerless. And that is hurting instead of helping. Look I repeatedly post here in the in the same vein and folks always buck me up and give me the lecture I am giving you!! Nothing we do is pointless unless we do nothing. Belittling every action will not inspire more action but less. I am sure you are doing your part as are many of us. Thinking about the big picture 24/7 can be too daunting. I try not to. Hope you can also. Cheers…

1 Like

Our government isn’t into the “sharing gig” presently. Otherwise we would have relief for the destitute, the poor, the hungry, the homeless, the unemployed, the (under) employed, and provide healthcare for all. And our refugee situation could cost us more than we are prepared to spend.
Easy to see why some in government can’t see us spending a trillion-plus on the climate crisis when they want that money for the war machine. The MIC, the secret space programs, the underground bases, and PX and local spending at our 800 military bases.
“Somebody, quick, we are going to need more ink to print more Benjamin’s.”

We must then band together and start a global strike for the ecological crisis, followed by total non cooperation. THIS is the issue along with the other existential threat of nuclear winter. Here in Northern Vermont we are experiencing a real burning of our climate with some pretty terrible weather on its way. Thanks to all you Brits who have come such a long way from British Empire days.

3 Likes

Global, total, non cooperation. We must make the effort and stir the fire in our collective bellies regardless of success or failure.

2 Likes