Home | About | Donate

Addressing Those Who Have Been Fooled All of the Time

Why I support Tulsi

3 Likes

Black, White, Brown, female, LGBT… all either party sees is green? It’s just easier to scare more $$$ from yuppie liberals? Trump’s followers are scarier than Obama’s and the cops are on their side. Like any third-world shithole kleptocracy.

1 Like

When I hear Democrats running for president make defeating Donald Trump the focus of their campaign, I am worried that they are missing the point

Unfortunately, the mainstream media is indoctrinating people with this notion. With this comes self-righteous venom against progressives who criticize Biden.

2 Likes

I agree. Many of the college kids I teach have told me that they don’t support Democrats or Republicans and don’t plan to vote. In the Puerto Rican, Mexican, and Central American communities in the US, I’ve heard many state that they will not vote because both Parties screw them. And, while the media often states that Biden has a lot of support in the African-American community, I’ve also heard folk in the community note that they won’t go out of their way to vote for Biden.

Only a candidate who inspires these folk can win.

I don’t think the establishment Democrats will let Sanders get the nomination, but even if he were elected, he won’t be able to get anything passed until folk are out, in the street, in mass, shutting down business as usual until progressive legislation is enacted.

3 Likes

I just read most of “Dying of Whiteness,” by Jonathan Metzl (didn’t finish it all because it was due back at the library and couldn’t be renewed, so I skimmed the last section), and am about halfway through “Strangers in Their Own Land,” by Arlie Russell Hochschild. Both books purport to explore why-oh-why so many red state voters vote against their own interests. I was hoping to get some promised insight, but it all seems to boil down to the usual willful ignorance of racism, anti-intellectualism, anti-governmentism, and religion. Nothing new, and it leaves me where I was before: seeing clearly that willful ignorance is a virulent form of sheer stupidity. So, if the question is boiled down to, “Why do so many people stupidly vote against their own interests?” then the answer keeps coming back in simplest terms: “Because they’re stupid.” They’re “fooled all of the time,” as the title suggests, because they choose to be.

So with that, I offer Texas a new state motto: “You can’t fix stupid, but you sure can shoot it!”

4 Likes

We also need to address who is responsible for all the evil that that has happened to the middle class. This is where something like a Wikileaks or Fox news model might be helpful to the Left, if they could muster the backbone to go on the offensive. As it stands the Right is scapegoating a plethora of others for their own betrayal of America’s citizens. We need to call them out publicly and have their portraits spread allover the press and airways. We can start with Reagan and the nonsense of trickle down economics. We can add the many senators and congressmen who made his policies possible. We should expose the Corporations and their CEOs who sent jobs overseas because the idea of shareholder value was the reigning business paradigm, not quality of products and certainly not worker welfare. The left had its own villains who made their contribution, Bill Clinton for sure, but Obama is not immune either. Nader, Sanders and Williamson get it right. If we ever had a culture of public service in government leadership, it was a long time ago, pre-Reagan at least. Even Nixon had at least a glimmer of duty to the Office and the People he was elected to serve. We need to call them out. We need to make it clear that if hasn’t been Brown people who put the working middle class in the dire straights they find themselves in. It wasn’t black people. It wasn’t immigrants. It wasn’t Jews. It wasn’t LGBTQ people. It wasn’t feminists. It wasn’t gay marriage or a lack of prayer in schools. It was a bunch of a greedy, rich white guys, the same ones who are still pouring the Kool Aid.

2 Likes

Exactly. Fuck Trump supporters.

2 Likes

Hitler distributed free radios to the Germans. The radios could only get one station, which he controlled. Trump mastered the same with his twitter following.

All his twittering seemed so stupid to me when he first became President but clearly, he was wiser than I. The format fits him perfectly. He never thinks deeper than a sound bite. He quickly developed a massive follower base who believe that his ridiculously vacuous sounds bites are brilliant truths from the mind of a genius.

There isn’t much hope of getting to these very well propagandized followers but fortunately, they are a minority and cannot bring him an election if there is a good turn out in 2020.

The turn out depends on nominating a non-neoliberal. Unfortunately, the MSM and the DNC are working hard to prevent that from occuring.

3 Likes

I would replace “wiser” with “more psychopathologically cunning.”

2 Likes

Close but not quite right. Trump supporters are deeply alienated from the institutions that have betrayed them, particularly the government and the press. They know what they support, a man who has no regard for the government, the press, or the liberal elite. They care not whether he lies or tells the truth; in fact, his lies show his total disdain for the Establishment. Do not patronize them by prophesizing that one day the dust will be cleared from their eyes. Trump was sent to explode the system that had long ago ceased to work in their (or our) interest, and to detonate the system he has done and continues to do well. In this respect, Trump is a Godsend. Clinton would have governed effectively (for the elite and corporate interest) with just enough crumbs and tidbits for the masses to keep them believing the system was working in their favor. Now we have an opening to elect authentic politicians who work in the interest of the poeple, not their corporate masters. It is a rare opportunity, and the Establishment is doing all that it can to ensure that neither of the two are elected. The pundits pontificate about the merits of the front-runner, telling the masses what to believe and what is actually possible. Don’t listen to their lies. They are afraid, as they should be, for we have a chance, slim as it may be, to seize power for ourselves. If the Trump supporters witness a government that actually governs in their interest, then they may be coaxed back to the fold.

The point is Democrats promised the same things that Trump has. But, they didn’t deliver them, either.

"… but even if he were elected, he won’t be able to get anything passed until folk are out, in the street, in mass, shutting down business as usual until progressive legislation is enacted. "
Bernie would be the first to agree. When the economy “hiccups” again, the people will hit the streets - big time.

I spent my childhood in an evangelical cult that believes in the literal creation story and Noah’s flood. I spent my adult career working with scientists and DNA. Some of my old friends are in the cult to this day. Faith is impervious to logic. I can prove they’re wrong, but that just makes me the Tool of Satan. Their insulation is nearly perfect. As long as their leaders say “follow the Orange Guy,” they will.

4 Likes

So much in this essay I had to read it multiple times…

I can buy that his base supporters are alienated and they ‘have to believe in something’ but…
people like Sanders and Warren are DIRECTLY and clearly addressing the issues that personally affect their lives negatively with concrete solutions that will help them almost immediately. Yet those are the very ideas his base seems to revile the most. I have thought long and hard about this and I just don’t get it. To me it really does seem to come directly back to abject stupidity. They clearly have no idea how the world or government works anymore. And they are racist and xenophobic just to boost their own value of which there is none left.
Sanders and Warren want to change that and give them a sense of their own value again, educate them et al and they reserve their most vile criticism for them both…

1 Like

I should have read your post before I posted mine. You said it far better than I did. I agree with you 100%. And I have just requested those books you mentioned at the library as well. Thanks.

The 2004-2016 vote totals show that ‘Trump’s’ base today and in 2016 consists of Republican Party loyalists who voted for that party’s nominees even before Trump became a candidate. These voters are hard-core Republicans, they support that party for many reasons other than Trumpism, and they can’t be peeled away from their party by progressives, leftists, or Democrats. Characterizing them as ‘disillusioned’ or ‘misguided’ is mostly wrong - and a waste of time. Republican loyalists constitute about 25% of eligible voters and can’t be moved, but about 50% of the eligible voters did not vote in 2016, and they CAN be attracted to a progressive candidate, as they were in 2008. Those people are the folks who can defeat Trump and McConnell, and they will defeat Trump if Bernie is on the ballot in November 2020.

1 Like

Blue state voters who supported Clinton in 1996, Obama in 2012, and Clinton in 2016 also voted against their own interests. By those years the respective candidates had clearly shown their Republican leanings. Blue state voters could have voted for, rather than against, their own interests by supporting the Green Party, but they didn’t.

Blues can be stupid too!

2 Likes

Excellent observation!

1 Like

Much better wording.

I had the same childhood experience. The fear of hell was grounded into my psyche at a very young age. I was 40 before I began to reason my way out of the nonsense. It is good to be out but I understand these people because I was one of them. Sadly, as you say, their insulation is nearly perfect. There is no intervention that I know of. They’ll either find their own way out or continue living a life guided by their illogical fear.

2 Likes