Home | About | Donate

Advancing Change in a Time of Disruption: Forging a New Pathway for Nature

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2020/04/01/advancing-change-time-disruption-forging-new-pathway-nature

Great article. I love the forward and positive thinking in this. Also, the basic natural lesson that every disaster bring opportunities and not just for the Shock Doctrine fascists. Look at what happened to the land around Mt St Helen’s after she blew her top. Look how nature repairs the clear cuts after the rapacious loggers do their worst. I agree, awful things happen during these crises and civilization as we know it suffers. But nature is resilient and if we lived closer to Her principles, we would be resilient too.

4 Likes

Great article, missing one key point:

• There are interested parties who exercise power to maintain the present system against all efforts to change it.

Unless we confront the need to confront these powerful interests, our “personal journeys” to change our habits will be likely to founder on the rocks of the establishment.

The military-industrial complex, the profiteering corporate structure of the economy, must be directly named and confronted, along with our efforts to create new habits of living.

1 Like

ww - Absolutely so. In my view, we must start by revisiting the concept and social value of the corporation itself. Until we remove it of its “obligation” to show consistent profits over all other considerations, it will in effect continue to hold us hostage.

i advocate to abolish the investor-owned limited-liability corporation. It is a deadly virus that is killing the ecology. More later!

EDIT: Maybe you’ve seen me post this before, but the investor-owned limited-liability corporation was literally invented for colonization, the very first such corporation was the Dutch East India Company and when others saw how the model works the British East India Company was reorganized on the same model. We need to educate ourselves about the history, purpose, and outcomes of this model of organizing the economy, and we need a new abolition movement to end this model. To be replaced with organizations NOT driven by greed and lust for wealth, NOT protecting the investors from criminal and civil liability for the crimes of the corporation, and NOT “externalizing” costs (ecological and social costs) in the pursuit of a “bottom line” in the black, but reforming accounting as well to prioritize ecological and social accounting above financial accounting. Organizations like trusts, community corporations, municipal corporations, cooperative corporations. With social and ecological charters that require them to have a “bottom line in the black” for ecological and social outcomes, or they go out of business. Instead of simply financial accounting that can put a corporation out of business.

1 Like

Thank you very much for this. May I adapt it to present to pertinent legislative entities?

Certainly and thank you! i’m continuing to work on these approaches, and am very happy for this particular “virus” to spread.

1 Like

If you’re so inclined, am curious as to how you are promoting this profoundly important agenda.

Actually i’ve been developing this agenda over the past couple years, primarily by participating in the comment threads at Common Dreams! But i have contacted several writers who post articles that seem aligned, asking them to consider this framework of focusing on the history and structure (and negative outcomes) of the investor-owned limited-liability corporation, and calling for a new abolition movement. i have not gotten much traction.

My initial impetus came from work done a number of years ago by the Program on Corporations Law and Democracy, POCLAD. They do not seem to be super active today, you can find their web site with a search for the acronym. i used to know some of the people who started POCLAD.

The other organization i’m aware of working along somewhat related lines is the Community Environmental Legal Defense Fund, more active than POCLAD but also more focused on the “rights of nature.” CELDF has tool kits for people to promote their agenda within specific local political jurisdictions.

A third organization that i consider to be possibly open to such an approach is the Democracy Collaborative. i did reach out to one of their staffers once and got no reply. i had previously known one of their staffers but he no longer works there.

Mostly i’ve just been clarifying the framework in my own writing, not working on any organized outreach or campaign. (i’ve also made a few hand-made posters outlining the framework – including more specifics on the roots of colonization and the development of capitalism with the great historic crimes of enslavement genocide and “grand theft continental” that were carried out – and posted these locally, but without contact info, so i have no idea if anyone would have wanted to get involved.)

Thanks much for your positive response, it is encouraging to me to get more organized and active myself.

1 Like

I remember POCLAD. I’m a member of a Dem Party caucus related to water issues, and we recently had a CELDF speaker join our call.

1 Like