Home | About | Donate

Advertisers Urged to #DropFox by Outraged Activists

Advertisers Urged to #DropFox by Outraged Activists

Eoin Higgins, staff writer

A coalition of activist groups is protesting in front of Fox News Headquarters in New York City today to bring attention to the network's recent controversies—as the cable channel tries to woo companies in the wake of a number of high profile advertising defections.

"The message to companies and their media buyers is clear," said Angelo Carusone, the president of watchdog group Media Matters for America, one of the organizers of the action, in a statement. "No matter what time of day you advertise on Fox News, you support the network's extremism and bigotry."

Thanks to the folks at Media Matters, Fairness and Accuracy in Reporting, and others who watch Fox so I don’t have to. I stand in awe of your resilience, your political acumen, and your strong stomachs.

7 Likes

Of course like me most Common Dreams commenters, never watch Fox News, but maybe we should just to see what advertisers we should boycott. But I will suggest turning the sound off!

6 Likes

Fox News has been the enabler of right wing propaganda and the current fascist regime in the White House. Daily lies and twisted reporting have brainwashed millions of Americans into not believing the truth. Try talking to people in the public arena, store workers ( gas stations, markets, etc.), neighbors, friends, relatives, etc. about any of todays issues. What you get is a lot of repeated lies from fox news, limbaugh, hannity and any other anti humanity hacks. Slowly trying to spread the truth, that will hopefully help some folks to see the light. Just in time for the 2020, the I see clearly now election! Peace

3 Likes

But if the target demographic for your product or service is old, willfully ignorant bigots, where else would you advertise?

I have real news for ya… ALL NEWS CHANNELS AND SITES ARE TOXIC!!! They all say the same thing. Every one of them steals the same garbage from the other, and Trump’s Puss is everywhere. There has not been One Day where he wasn’t! He IS the News. Are you Not sick of This yet? THe days of real Journalism are long gone. All we get is lies and bull shit. Welcome to the New Age…

5 Likes

What gets me is I don’t believe “Fixed Noise” listeners will give them up until they get charged for a criminal offense. I first saw their lies back during 911, how many do you remember back then?
The one I remember most, because I almost got in a fight at work, was the lie about NYC Muslims dancing in the streets in celebration. That drove me nuts, because we all know NYC Muslims were out there helping, body and soul to help.
The only way I see forward is America needs to come around to this fascist/Corporatism propaganda and face it head on, OR Pelosi is right the divisiveness will end us all.

3 Likes

“ A Day in the Life”… People who have jobs hate what they do. They come home, pop on the big tube that is set to FOX buy default, crack open a few bottles of cheap wine and plop on the couch. Their kids are in their rooms playing video games and save their homework for last, or don’t do it at all and fall asleep in the same clothes they wore yesterday to school and will wear again. Their Parents either bring home poison fast food or whip up a bowl of GMO Mac ‘n Cheese. Then they pass out. What a wonderful Life!

5 Likes

Only the out of touch still advertise on TV. Many studies have shown that TV advertisements have no effect on sales. Ironically we should let the advertisers waste money by showing TV-ads. Also I think more focus needs to be on their online sponsors instead of TV.

1 Like

If Adversizing didn’t work, they wouldn’t keep pestering us. It sure does work! You don’t get hungry if Wendy’s add with a big fat jucy Buger comes on? Sure ya do. Same with Car commercials. Fact…that 40% of the people who have leases are months behind on payments. Think they care? Think about it…

2 Likes

Absolutely ads work, or they wouldn’t spend billions running them. Why would a company spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on a single Super Bowl ad?
It’s commercial propaganda, and Americans suck it up like a sponge.

2 Likes

Fox is Bill-O. Fox is high school educated news for white racists, unbridled greed, eternal war and deregulation of everything, privatization of education and sucking the last ounce of good from every living organism. Sometimes one can find truth in foreign news, certainly a more objective viewpoint such as the Himalayan News. All capitol newspapers have english editions and can be found but you have to look for them. It is true corporations began buying large, private, daily newspapers during the Sixties and the days of daily, Republican and Democratic editions died. Normally, the difference was only editorial opinion, advertisers and placement of hard news but overall they published basic truth. No more. The CIA has reintroduced their editorial control and we slide down to dictatorship all fueled by betraying America on 9-11 and every day since then. These Corporate Advertisers do NOT BANK in America and and much of what they sell is NOT MADE IN AMERICA but they demand our allegiance to them and their bombers. Can we survive and return and remold our republic? Yes. We have a blue print but let’s see the Republicans kill all the social services and murder Roe V Wade and see what happens. It will light the fuse. Fox is a syphilis for petrified, insecure cretins and the gazillionaires who lead the lemmings to the cliff. USA Today prop Susie told America they knew two guys who attacked Dr. Ford on the day of Kavanaugh’s nomination vote and Sinclair and all of them reported it. BUT the two guys never appeared. Imagine that. Absolute dictatorial shit. Time to fling their shit back at them. Really!!

2 Likes

Advertisements could be effective if the company spends billions of dollars on marketing the ad. However, I do not see any brutally honest statistics that show that TV-ads work. Please show me evidence that ads such as car commercials do work. Word of mouth is multitudes more effective than advertisements on the TV- Industrial complex.

Superbowl advertisements are highly entertaining, however there is no data that they increase sales or profits.

1 Like

Yes, Fox is deplorable. The worst ever.

But, if you for one moment imagine that MSNBC, CNN, CBS, ABC or the others represent a respectable alternative you are sadly mistaken. None are worthy of your viewing minutes. They all fill the airwaves with contrived propaganda that mostly works against your best interests.

3 Likes

Agreed. Trying to explain capitalist propaganda to the average USan is like trying to explain water to a fish.

3 Likes

One thing advertising does is to generate “ordinary and necessary business expense” deductions from gross revenues, lowering net taxes.

And one group who will assure you that advertising works? Advertising executives.

3 Likes

If propaganda was not effective the world would look very different.
It is hard to track the effects of individual ads because corporations do not release such information for a variety of reasons.
There is no reason to think they are spending millions a year on something they only think is effective.
They will have done the research, and have no reason to share it with anyone.

3 Likes

Many millions who are “out of touch” still watch TV. Their perception of reality is very
different from most CD posters. Unfortunately, they vote.

2 Likes

its not the product selling thats big, its the simulation of accepting advertising aka Propaganda.