Home | About | Donate

Advice from a Billionaire: Forget Charity, Do Good While Making a Profit

Advice from a Billionaire: Forget Charity, Do Good While Making a Profit

Diane Ravitch

This is a very interesting interview with Bobby Turner, who is the partner of Andre Agassi in opening new charter schools for profit across the country. He seems to think that destroying public education is a way to perform good works.

Charity is laudable, Bobby Turner says, but if you really want to raise enough money to improve a thorny social problem you have to introduce the profit motive.

"The Turner Multifamily Impact Fund launched in June so far has drawn investments from high-profile hedge fund manager Bill Ackman; Citi Community Capital, a division of Citibank that invests in affordable housing; the University of Michigan endowment; and Rockefeller Brothers Fund, a philanthropic organization operated by the Rockefeller family."

Philanthropic? For the Rockefeller perspective:

“I don’t want a nation of thinkers, I want a nation of workers.”
– John D. Rockefeller

“In our dream we have limitless resources, and the people yield themselves with perfect docility to our molding hand. The present educational conventions fade from our minds; and, unhampered by tradition, we work our own good will upon a grateful and responsive rural folk. We shall not try to make these people or any of their children into philosophers or men of learning or of science. We are not to raise up among them authors, orators, poets, or men of letters. We shall not search for embryo great artists, painters, musicians. Nor will we cherish even the humbler ambition to raise up from among them lawyers, doctors, preachers, statesmen, of whom we now have ample supply.”
– Frederick T. Gates (advisor to John D. Rockefeller)

Only in an era of absolute moral decline would this behavior be allowed, no less framed as doing Public Good.

But then, Monsanto is on a rabid campaign to rape and poison much of the natural world and hides behind the P.R. frame that it's feeding a hungry world... efficiently, no less!

And the make-war state propelled by insatiable, bloodthirsty weapons' manufacturers destroys nations under the guise of spreading Democracy.

No surprise then that Shock Doctrine vulture capitalists using the fiction (should be illegal!) of Hedge Funds to perform equivalent "Hostile Takeovers" of public schools and after emptying them to supply "no such thing as Global warming/evolution" religious-based charter schools in their wake... argue they are performing a public service.

Every decency has become inverted, every Truth rendered suspect. In this morally compromised nexus, the sociopaths have a very distinct advantage over caring, humane persons.

Typical paid poster... arguing that after schools are defunded they perform badly; and then using these contrived metrics to argue that public schools are poor in functioning.

Get lost until you can GROW a conscience, shill!

The banksters fund both the (compliant) D's as well the R's, so what is your point. Even a rapist might treat his victim to a nice meal before his crime. Your statement in the preceding post, "Nearly nothing Ravitch writes can be trusted." is suspect to me. As a retired second generation public educator who has assiduously studied the history of public education in America from its Prussian roots, I can assure you that J.D. Rockefeller's sentiments are steeped into the system.

But you gave Pechorin's post an up-vote. You can remove it by clicking the heart again.

Billionaires and democracy are mutually exclusive.

Improving online education is taking over. Schooling as we know it seems to be going the way of the telegraph. Neither school privatizers nor public educators seem cognizant of that trend.

"Starve the beast." Here is how it works. De fund all government programs except the MIC, place propaganda about how efficient the "market" is and when the government is too poor to pay for the needs of the people, the people will beg us to give the public trust to our rich friends.

Privatization is nothing less than a narrowing of perspectives and a poisoning of the core and essence of education as a means to a better future — far from being the innovative force they claim it to be.

Part of an ever-increasing War on Democracy, private investments in "education" are closer to class-based mind control that keeps everyone in their "place" and feeds the income disparities that empower NOT the People, but the 1% who use a fund-based rubber-stamp Congress as a shield as they make major national decisions behind closed doors, beyond the reach of the People who are supposed to govern in a true democracy.

It is an agenda-making effort with no regard for truths to restrict the minds of our children and increase acceptance of social-based limitations as is convenient to the funders' own class notions of society and propriety.

I don't think I did give it a like and I can't remove it.

They were born with a sense of entitlement that was nurtured in a manner akin to wine fermenting until it reaches its vintage (point)... only to accelerate in a full-out rotting.

This time I definitely believe your accusation-

When I was typing my comment to Pechorin my computer froze and said "Word no longer working." I had three open files and had to wait for a "Recovery process."

These days I take both so-called recovery (2nd time it's happened on this computer) and the mandatory "updates" for planned NSA downloads.

Now if poster tells me a LIKE appears on a post I called out... it would appear that there's more computer/IT manipulation going on.

There has been LOTS of it.

Well stated JJ- You cut to the chase here, but this clown has been so propagandized that your words won't reach him....

"The master planners devised the strategy of a merger - a Great Merger - among nations.
But before such a merger can be consummated, and the United States becomes just another province in a New World Order, there must at least be the semblance of parity among the senior partners in the deal. How does one make the nations of the world more nearly equal? The Insiders determined that a two-prong approach was needed; use American money and know-how to build up your competitors, while at the same time use every devious strategy you can devise to weaken and impoverish this country. The goal is not to bankrupt the United States. Rather, it is to reduce our productive might, and therefore our standard of living, to the meager subsistence level of the socialized nations of the world.
The plan is not to bring the standard of living in less developed countries up to our level, but to bring ours down to meet theirs coming up... It is your standard of living which must be sacrificed on the altar of the New World Order."
Gary Allen in his book "The Rockefeller File"
http://www.thirdworldtraveler.com/

I know what you are speaking of- Last night my computer went crazy and posted 5 or 6 duplicate posts plus one reply to myself- Not sure if it is Common Dreams system or my computer- I spent one LONG time trying to delete it all to no avail- Once I closed out of CD and came back on I had my original comment with A duplicate as A "reply"- I am quite sure that there is some cyber type stuff going on as when ever I am looking up controversial material my computer glitches out on me-Strange days have found us...
If things go from bad to worse, what I find helps is "System Restore"- restoring your computer to an earlier date when it was working fine-

Yes, we all love what Rockefeller's Monsanto and Pfizer are doing for all of us common folk-
And Chase-Manhatten Bank sure is one special project along with That University of Chicago Economics Department- The one Milton Friedman headed up- It goes on and on and on.....

It is my belief that when all (or the majority) of the "commons" have been privatized, the fall of the Empire is near.

The US has been co-opted for a long time by those with real power. Often sold as the lesser evil, it has really become the more effective evil.