Home | About | Donate

Advocates Applaud San Francisco's Limited Voting Rights for Non-Citizens as City Addresses Fears of Federal Response

Advocates Applaud San Francisco's Limited Voting Rights for Non-Citizens as City Addresses Fears of Federal Response

Julia Conley, staff writer

San Francisco officials began registering non-U.S. citizens to vote in school board elections this week, reasoning that parents whose children are educated there should have a say in how the schools are run—but fears about the federal government's potential response to the new limited voting rights of non-citizens has led the city to enact a contingency plan.

Back in 2004, while busking across Ireland and Denmark with a friend, we found ourselves in a bar in Copenhagen after a gig. It seemed that nearly everybody had at least a smattering of English, and a lively discussion of current affairs ensued.

At one point, I opined that, since what the US does affects the whole world, everybody should be able to vote in our elections. Danny and I drank for free the rest of the evening.

It’s a damn strange kind of “democracy” that tries to disenfranchise as many people as possible.

AGREE - AND WONDERFUL STORY!!

I would request the “Line Item Veto” for all, as well.