Home | About | Donate

Advocates Call on Jayapal to Release Draft Text of House Single Payer Bill

Advocates Call on Jayapal to Release Draft Text of House Single Payer Bill

Russell Mokhiber

Single payer advocates are calling on Congresswoman Pramila Jayapal (D-Washington) to share the draft text of HR 676 with the single payer movement for review and input.

Jayapal is the new lead sponsor of HR 676, which for the past fifteen years was sponsored by former Congressman John Conyers (D-Michigan).

Single payer advocates need to state repeatedly: We will not support the same process that got us RomneyCare.

Start strong, instead of pre-compromising.
Form a coalition who won’t back down, instead of capitulating like the lily-livered Progressive Caucus did.
Stand up to r-party horseshit about supposed death panels by directly calling them lying liars.
Never stray from a “better and truly universal coverage with lower costs” message.
And call out the sell outs in the d-party for being the corporate sock puppets they are.

In the end, we might not get a bill. But we’ll know who gives a damn about actual voters --and who we can persuade to form that leftie alternative to the obviously unreformable d-party.

Contact Jayapal at:

Washington, DC Office

319 Cannon House Office Building

Washington, DC 20515

Phone: 202-225-3106
Fax: 202-225-6197

Seattle Office

1904 3rd Ave., Suite 510

Seattle, WA 98101

Phone: 206-674-0040

Stop this secrecy and demand that Bernie’s bill S1802 conform to HR 676. To quote Bernie himself, "Enough is enough!"

Feb.9-13 are the national days for actions to achieve Expanded, Improved Medicare For All also known as National Improved Medicare For All or Single-Payer system, the very opposite of the pro-profit, private patch work of exploitive, healthcare denying system we currently have.

Brand R: the party of no.
Brand D: the party of bait-and-switch.

The monthly premium I pay for my employer sponsored medical insurance will increase 39% on January 1.

Guess I shouldn’t complain. At least I have insurance…for now anyway.

I have just personalized the letter to Hon Jayapal and sent it to my House Rep. requesting that she support all efforts to uphold the strength of HR 676 and that a draft be released for public scrutiny.
Find your House Rep and tell him/her your concerns on the matter.

The folks who signed this letter have been fighting for true Single Payer for years, some even before HR 676 was first drafted. Real progressives would do well to heed their warnings, otherwise the Dim-controlled House will be nothing more than Rethug-Not-So-Light.

I, for one, have 0 confidence in Jaypal to move real Single Payer - some of the most important domestic legislation of our lifetimes. If she was a true fighter for Single Payer, we’d have heard that already. This is all part of the Pelosi for Speaker scam with the vast majority of Dims (including Blue Wavers) voting for her – and not a single one having the guts to run against her. So much for “reforming” the Dims for the umpteenth time in the last half century.

Capitalist lackeys all.

It’s the same old script.

Should our new government have seven branches and no supreme honorables for life?

A multiparty parliamentary democracy based on one adult/one vote wouldn’t be a bad place to start, but that is beyond the imagination of the current U.S. body politic and the vast majority of people who just want the shit to go away. It won’t.

Never get behind a Democrat unless you’d let that Democrat get behind you

Yes, a multi party parliament has some advantages. Even so; Nations with parliamentary governments are all attempting to grow their economies faster and faster at a time when the word economy has become so resource intensive it almost needs two Earths.

My impression is the idea of representing distributed intelligence is not feasible with regard to quantum physics in the information age.

There are jobs and budgets and then Dr. Strangelove’s endless war. It is actually going on. Endless war; killing the goose that laid the golden egg.

“We are being asked to mobilize support for the new HR 676, but we cannot support a bill we have not seen.”

Looks like at least some people learned a lesson from the ObamaCare debacle.

A-Bleepin’ MEN! Even 676 is sorely lacking in realistic plans for the transition period. This applies to the still sketchy “Green New Deal” as well. We MIGHT get another chance if we screw up health care again, but there will be no second chance for corralling climate change.

IF we can swing a genuinely universal system at the median of those in all developed countries and some Third World countries, the increase in your taxes would be more than covered by the elimination of premiums, deductibles, co-pays, etc. I have not analyzed the best projections, but my experience going back 20-30 years says I’m in the ball park. The resistance from the “Democratic” misleaders will be at least as strong as that from Wall Street, so let’s be prepared: Hire good lawyers and PR folk NOW.

I am 100% in agreement. I may differ with some here on treating HR 676 as some kind of perfection and S.1804 as subterfuge, but I am completely for open government and taking citizen input as bills are developing. I will write or call Jayapal, and I hope she is taking input from outside her district (I hate the email forms that block out non-constituents).

Has everyone* forgotten how Congress operates?

Here’s a reminder:

“*…*we have to pass the bill so that you can find out what is in it.**” - N. Pelosi

*except lamonte.

Which of their 8 plans for universal health care will they attempt to give us: