Home | About | Donate

Advocates Discuss Upcoming Anniversary of Kalamazoo River Tar Sands Spill, Growing Movement to Block Tar Sands Invasion

Advocates Discuss Upcoming Anniversary of Kalamazoo River Tar Sands Spill, Growing Movement to Block Tar Sands Invasion

MICHIGAN - Five years ago, an Enbridge pipeline ruptured, spilling over 1 million gallons of toxic tar sands oil into the Kalamazoo River in the biggest on-shore spill in U.S. history. As the communities along the river continue to deal with the severe negative health and economic impacts of the spill, the tar sands industry has continued its attempts to flood the Midwest with more dirty tar sands, threatening the health, safety, and livelihoods of the communities in the region.

###

Keep on pushing because you know that you are right.
85 or 90 years ago, before I was born, my aunt and uncle had an electrified farm in Saskatchewan, off the grid of course because there was no grid. My uncle and his brother built a windmill and ccnnected it to a series of storage batteries in a little room off the kitchen.
Denmark is a net exporter of power because of its wind farms. Canada and the United States could do the same, and would do if the taxation system taxed oil and gas for its total cost to the environment and took the taxes off the components of solar and wind power systems.
The best thing that the Canadians could do for the world is to triple the taxation and royalties on oil and gas so that it would be left in the ground to be used for aviation fuel for generations to come.