Home | About | Donate

Affirming 'Dignity of All People,' Mainstream Church Votes to Divest from Occupation-Profiting Companies

Affirming 'Dignity of All People,' Mainstream Church Votes to Divest from Occupation-Profiting Companies

Andrea Germanos, staff writer

The United Church of Christ, a one million-member, mainstream Protestant church in the U.S., has overwhelmingly passed a resolution to divest from companies it says profit from Israel's occupation of Gaza and the West Bank.

The church described the Tuesday vote, which took place at the General Synod in Cleveland, where it is based, as furthering its years-long efforts towards peace in the region.

The resolution also calls for a boycott of products made by Israeli settlement-based companies.

It's kinda shocking when that happens, huh?

There are more and more Christians and others who are finally responding sensibly and with Truth to this long standing effort to call attention to the suffering of millions under occupation....In fact the Pope has also recently stated that the act of Supporting BDS is NOT anti Semitic. So salutes to UCC, Methodists, Presbies, and all the other organized faith communities who continue to diligently work toward JUSTICE for Palestine, after so many decades and much despair....SO THERE, now that I've said that....I have only one question remaining....addressed to Barack H. Obama.....because as I read in "Times of Israel" earlier today
...this headline/report: http://www.timesofisrael.com/obama-signs-anti-bds-bill-into-law/
President approves provisions making rejection of Israel boycott a key objective in trade talks with EU
After a grueling legislative battle, US President Barack Obama signed into law a controversial trade measure that also contains landmark legislation combating the boycott, divestment and sanctions (BDS) movement in Europe. /Snipped...
WHAT? WTF.....?

SOP for POTUS. sadly.

Yep.......true.....but still a shock...took place so 'discretely and under the radar' until today's news... One should not be shocked because of all the other lame, weak-ass, disappointing things he's done...There is no rational excuse possible for this short of finding a horse's head under his blanket on Monday morning....y'know? a la Godfather's warning?

I read a few weeks back that it was tucked into the fast track bill, but you're right, it has been VERY much under the radar--that one source was the only place I've seen it mentioned.

i hear ya.

How encouraging that this church has taken this stance against the brutal Israeli mistreatment of Palestinians in Gaza. A very Christian thing to do. If our totalitarian prime minister Stephen Harper has his way here in Canada, it will be illegal to participate in BDS actions. I think PM Harper and Benjamin Netanyahu think as one. So sad.

One by one churches, universities, retirement funds, other institutions start the slow but steady strangulation of Israel and her psychotic attempt remain extant through intimidation, force and murder.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Well, he finds a horses ass under the blanket every morning.
* If BDS makes me a lawbreaker, I'll have plenty of company.
;-})

There is virtually nothing done in the three branches of government that have anything to do with the people's or the world's welfare.
* What is needed is for American Empire subjects to find a copy of the Declaration of Independence, the United States Constitution and Bill of Rights and educate themselves to again become citizens of a Constitutional Republic, with rights of the people of paramount importance, not the increased wealth of the 0.001%.
* When Jefferson wrote the Declaration of Independence, it was to delineate the oppression by Britain and give reasons to revolt against it.
* When you read the Declaration today and compare the situation then and now, the only difference is that the oppressors are here, owning and ruling the government, which has become the Fourth Reich.
* Perhaps it is time for We the People to again to use the same cure!
;-})

Link here: http://www.inminds.com/boycott-brands.html. I had another link, but for some reason I can't access it-- this one has lots of info, though.

Aligatorhardt...here's a BDS list to read: http://bdslist.org/full-list/ and also, remember to check ANY groceries you purchase with barcodes which START with : 729xxxxxxxxxx
AVOID 7 or 729 BARCODES....

aligator, here is another link I just came across. .usacbi.org/sign-up-to-receive-updates-on-cultural-boycott-campaigns-and-news/