Home | About | Donate

Afghan War Is Not Over, Says Judge, So Indefinite Detention Can Continue

Afghan War Is Not Over, Says Judge, So Indefinite Detention Can Continue

Jon Queally, staff writer

A federal judge on Thursday rejected the petition of a Guantanamo detainee who had requested to be freed after spending nearly a decade and a half in the U.S. offshore prison without trial.

As the Associated Press reports:

Muktar Yahya Najee al-Warafi has said his detention was illegal in light of President Barack Obama's statements that active hostilities in Afghanistan had ended.

I didn't realize that we were at war with the country of Afghanistan. If so, why don't we do
what we did in Panama; just blow it up and leave for good?

I recently received a note from Lisa Monaco, Pres. Obama's Advisor on Homeland Security and Counter Terrorism .. .which included her statement.... "We have to make some important decisions about how to protect ourselves and sustain our Leadership in the World" which had to do with a completely different issue I had written about. None the less, since this is what the country sees itself as ... "Leader" of the "World", is this a do as I SAY but not as I Do oxymoron? Or, as the so called LEADER OF THE WORLD the U.S. government believes itself to be, is that why this government is turning a blind eye to the war crimes Israel committed and continues in Gaza - Syria? Must be proud Israel has been following in this country's footsteps.

We did that already. But Senator John McCain let the cat out of the bag and said "We will be in Afghanistan and Iraq for the next 100 years."

It's just too profitable for the MICC. The Poppy Fields have never had such huge harvests. Milo Minderbinder has captured the Opium market using USAF planes for distribution, just like in Vietnam.

Read Catch 22.

It is not fiction!

"As Noah Feldman, a columnist for Bloomberg wrote on Thursday, "more than 50 [prisoners] remain in legal limbo, treated as permanent prisoners of war "

Those incarcerated in the Guantanamo Bay torture camp were never and are not held or treated as Prisoners of War, for whom there are internationally defined conditions which include space in which to walk around comfortably, freedom from endless interrogation, freedom from trial by military tribunal, freedom from torture, freedom from force-feeding, their repatriation if severely ill, and assorted other conditions including an adequate diet and access to the Red Cross/Red Crescent organisations denied those held in that hell-hole.

The USA has declared those held at Gunatanamo Bay as "enemy combatants" quite deliberately so as to avoid treating them as Prisoners of War. In this respect, the USA is indeed exceptional, if not in breach of International Law..

"Badges? Badges? We don't need no stinkin' Badges!"
* Sheesh!
;-})

amerika,land of the free(to shop,ONLY) and home of the brave (M.I.C. killers of 3rd world peoples). and people ask why so many have no respect for our laws.maybe its because they are following the ruling class' many examples. i have never been so completely disappointed by a so called judicial systems behavior,even though the judge was most likely responding to or heading off a call from one of our 17 (!!!) Offense,um defense Depts.

with over 40% of the worlds armaments,more military bases around the world than everyone else combined,a military budget larger than the NEXT 7 World Powers (!!!) , some insane DOD pencil pusher still needs to have these people detained...and detained. perhaps theyve forgotten that OUR M.I.C. invaded them illegally and unethically in order to gain control of the Caspian basin oil reserves* (which just went to china thanx to our multi trillion dollar monumental bumbling).
maybe the APA will psychanalyze this person and this judge, as a way to begin making amends for their own unethical behavior. one can dream.....
*thats what we get for having TWO oil business scum as P.and V.P.

right on bro.air america transports more drugs than any puny drug kingpin ever did.
if only nancy was still here to say "(g.bush,o.north et al),just say no to drugs". aaahhh those were the days, when ketchup became a vegetable, before ronnie did.....

The amerikan justice system has been compromised and corrupted by the corporate political parties over the last 40 years. The asylum has been run by the inmates and now the amerikan people get to see the results of their apathy!

The spirit was freedom and justice
And it's keepers seem generous and kind
It's leaders were supposed to serve the country
But now they won't pay it no mind
'Cause the people grew fat and got lazy
And now their vote is a meaningless joke

They babble about law and order
But it's all just an echo of what they've been told
Yeah, there's a monster on the loose
It's got our heads into a noose
And it just sits there watchin'

The cities have turned into jungles
And corruption is stranglin' the land
The police force is watching the people
And the people just can't understand
We don't know how to mind our own business
'Cause the whole world's got to be just like us

Now we are fighting a war over there
No matter who's the winner
We can't pay the cost

'Cause there's a monster on the loose
It's got our heads into the noose
And it just sits there watching

"Suicide" Steppenwolf

The lyrics are still relevant some 46 years later, written in 1969.

The U.S. has been at some kind of conflict for most of its existence because there is no business like the war business! But the propaganda and mendacities of the Amerikan Government has totally brainwashed most U.S. citizens. Like General Smedley Butler stated: " WAR IS A RACKET".

In Afghanistan, the poppy's grow row on row more than ever! What ever you may think of the Taliban, they were eradicating the poppy fields. Now, let me ask: Cui Bono?

As I read this, I thought it was the Steppenwolf song you were quoting. Now I'll have to go listen to the whole thing. I have loved it since it first came out all those years ago.