Home | About | Donate

Afghanistan Papers Confirm That the Longest War Is a Lie

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2019/12/13/afghanistan-papers-confirm-longest-war-lie

The myth of American exceptionalism has been shattered yet again (think Viet Nam) and absolutely no one in the government nor media has a clue about what to do. Forget honesty, for truth is the first casualty of war. (As Aeschylus pens in Agamemnon)

10 Likes

Like the BS war in Vietnam, this war might have ended sooner if the news media were functional. More honest (on a relative scale) war reporting had a huge impact on the public’s perception of the war in Vietnam, and helped end it. In response, the military worked with corporate media to end access to the truth by “embedding” reporters, which meant the “journalists” got fun rides to exciting places and a handout telling them what they could say. These wars are permanent and deadly scams because there is no oversight, just massive pork for the players. Even so, you hear more than anything else how “our” military (as opposed to the oligarchs’ military, which is what it really is) is all that keeps us safe in this scary world due to the service and sacrifice and honor of its members. BULL-L-L-L-L-SHI-I-I-I-IT!!!

10 Likes

So, let me get this straight, our government put our service members in harm’s way, many of them paying the ultimate price, subjecting them to the longest war on record, based on lies.

And we reward this by granting the military the largest part of our country’s pie, year after year, while our poor are starving and dying, our nation’s roads, bridges, and schools are crumbling.

Are we asleep, or just stupid to allow these two corporate parties to continue this unsustainable behavior?

8 Likes

I would say that the “success” of the war in Afghanistan is the fact that a handful of defence contractors made a fortune selling weapons and munitions to the U.S. government who in turn gave these weapons as “aid” to the Afghans. Because the rich seldom pay taxes, the burden to fund this backward policy, fell on the 99%. Winning or losing is beside the point as the chief objective of this seemingly futile project is to line the pockets of a few billionaires.

2 Likes

The Washington Post is “shocked! shocked!” that lies were told about Afghanistan–after they themselves lied about it for two decades.

7 Likes

All wars are based on lies. During any war lies are used to keep them working until a victor can be claimed. In today’s milieu wars never end because they can’t be won as in WW II. Even that was was at least partially based on lies. Then the imperialists became an unstoppable force as they took on a life of their own. The USA never disengaged from the capitalist economy that functioned during WW II. Hence, the never ending wars of today, or even yesterday, as in the 37 year long Cold War. Again, based mostly on lies. They lied about WW II, the Cold War, the 'Nam, Korea, Gulf I, Iraq, Afghanistan, ad infinitum. To stop the wars will collapse the economy. I say the sooner, the better.

2 Likes

To all of us poor idiots who have been to been to those wars based on a pack of blatant lies, here’s a poem by Major Michael Davis O’Donnell, January 1, 1970, Dak To, Vietnam which reads as follows:
“If you are able, save for them a place inside of you and save one backward glance when you are leaving for the places they can no longer go.
Be not ashamed to say you loved them, though you may not have always.
Take what they have left and what they have taught you with their dying and keep it with your own.
And in that time when men decide and feel safe to call the war insane, take one moment to embrace those gentle heroes you left behind”.

To our brain dead head in the sand Congress, go fuck yourself.

5 Likes

Well said indeed.

It took the Russians only 8 or 9 years to realize how foolish they had been in invading Afghanistan. The Americans still don’t know it, and as Ike feared, the military industrial complex is so firmly in control of the government that there will not even be any discussions about how to extricate ourselves. War profiteers rule the government.

Both the quoted part and the last sentence.

1 Like

Well that was inspiring to read first thing in the morning. True though. I think I’m going back under the covers…

Of course the US didn’t bring the warlords to justice because those warlords are conservatives. They saw eye to eye.

Let’s stop calling the things war. Brutal, genocidal occupation is what they are.

Aren’t we making money there growing and selling drugs? Isn’t Afghanistan the big place to be, smack dab between Russia, India, China, and Iran? We’re just mentioning a draw down in troops of about a third to help Trump with his anti-war supporters. And don’t worry, those guys are reportedly staying in the area nearby for our next big event.
Besides, the main thing is to keep tensions high between these big powers so Congress has an excuse to keep funding bigger and bigger bombing capabilities.

Yes, the CIA is making money in the drugs business, and it might be that is the reason we are still there.