Home | About | Donate

After Biden Vowed '$2,000 Checks Will Go Out the Door' Ahead of Georgia Wins, Relief Plan Reportedly Includes Just $1,400

Your agreement is not required. The promise was for $2000. It’s been broken. Plus there is the simple fact that $2000 is what every adult in the US who isn’t wealthy should be receiving anyway from the government right now, not just a couple of checks in a year.

2 Likes

Nor will Kamala be tolerated. Thankfully we’re already moving ahead with measures to start defunding and bypassing the Democratic Party, including the #FraudSquad and for mass protests and general strikes. Those still supporting extreme centrists and corportists are neither allies nor friends and will no longer be treated as such.

2 Likes

That’s our money. Why do centrists not even understand how these basic things work? It’s not a gift. It’s literally to avert tens of millions going hungry and being evicted. Do you not realize just how dire things are on the mainland, or do you just deliberately ignore that reality?

5 Likes

covered by Stewart on one of my favorite records ever, no less.

1 Like

this is the rub. we’re not all, um, ‘occupying’ the same reality out here. It’s just a class difference. But it leads to different politics. Some of these brothers and sisters really don’t have even the slightest clue of how bad in can be in some of the USAs armpits of former civilization. It’s why thy don’t understand where the MAGAts come from.

4 Likes

Just couldn’t resist, sorry.
BTW- Centrists are very reactionary, mostly, imo. Which part of take your time and get it right over time don’t you get? The New Deal took 5 years++, The Great Society got a 3 year+ window and The Green New Deal will take at least a 7-8 year++ roll out. All of them were considered Public Enemy #1 at the time by The Corporotocracy. Not much has changed, imo.

Well, I for one am not going to get hung up on a small part of a proposal that includes the following:

• Eviction protection

• $1,400 check on top of the $600 already given for adults, including dependents ($5600 for a family of four)

• $3,000 child tax credit

• $15 per hour minimum wage

• $400 extra weekly unemployment insurance on top of current benefits (many economists believe this is far more meaningful than one-time checks)

That’s probably the largest per family stimulus we’ve seen in the country’s history, especially if it goes through September. If $1400 checks keep Joe Manchin aboard, I’m all in. And keep in mind, that’s just a part of the proposal and doesn’t include aid to states, education, free vaccinations and improved funding for the vaccine rollout, etc.

1 Like

Lots of MAGAts are far from broke. If you read about the Capitol insurrectionists, several flew there on private jets and many (most) had well-paying jobs. People like to assume it’s all about economics, but cultural grievances oriented around race, and just generally checking the Libs, play huge on the right. Limbaugh earned a fortune on white grievance politics.

1 Like

There are different benefit groups, one of the problems is that there is not a good understanding of eligibility. I think a lot of people are eligible for more than just the stimulus relief checks. Unless you have a lot of other resources or are wealthy.

1 Like

I’m not sure which people you are referring to, but the people I like (Thomas Frank would obviously be prominent here) would say that it is enough about the economics such that if the Democratic party were to go back to a new deal view of the economy, then:

1. Ds would lose some voters in their camp now who are rich and would pay more in taxes
  2. Ds would gain some voters among those who now vote R
  3. Ds would gain some voters among those who don’t vote.

And then the general claim is made that #2 + #3 > #1 at least as far a national elections go and in more states and local governments. There will always be locales where they will still lose.

EDIT: I guess I need that factor of 2 when voters switch compared to pulling from the non-voting pool, so more correctly: 2 x #2 + #3 > 2 x #1.

2 Likes

Not exactly NEW? They pay OUR money to hire REALLY desperate, entitled, pissed-off peckerwoods to brutalize Blacks, lynch Latinos, shoot strikers, imprison immigrants as a nepotistic neo-nazi fraternity of freeloading fascists? We’re stepping over National Guard, armored & carrying the M4 rifles they’d practiced with in Iraq and Afghanistan, so now Lincoln Project Neocon Democracy comes HOME?

We’re starting to see wildcat & walk-out strikes picking-up, here, amongst essentials who remember this time, last year.

~https://www.dissentmagazine.org/article/disenfranchisement-an-american-tradition

4 Likes

I hate to say this but some states are so stingy.

1 Like

no one’s arguing that KC and no one has suggested that MAGAs are a monolith. But even the ones within your own class are segregated in other ways. Still, a large part of the fan base is still poor whites, even if they’re not voting, even if they’re not storming the capital. And you’d know this if you lived in or around the places they do.

For you, this is a statistical game. For me, it’s a lived reality. And I’ll also tell you that racial resentments at the bottom stem, largely, from economic grievances, which you’d also know if you were exposed to this world.

All you gotta do is just accept that you’re not in the same world as some of us. Why is this like pulling teeth with you? Are you ashamed you’re in the class you’re in and defending its interests? I don’t think you should be, frankly. Just line up.

4 Likes

I disagree with elements of Frank’s interpretation of history and have spoken about it before. People knew what they were voting for when they voted for Reagan, who won two massive elections fully honest about his sunny anti-labor and anti-government convictions, especially the racially encoded dogwhistle ones. It’s like arguing that Republicans would have done better in 1936 had they more forcefully pushed budget austerity and 1920s era Mellon tax policy. Moreover, historians have long noted the New Deal was fine until it expanded to include African Americans and others. Whites have always reacted poorly to “others” getting a shot.

1 Like

Joe Dough’s only “instinct to act” is in the interests of the class with which he colludes

Are you my dentist? I don’t find a class-based economic analysis the end-all be-all of voting behavior, and think conservatives and Trumpers, poor and rich, have minds of their own. I’ve spent a great deal of time around them too, at work, among family, friends, etc. Limbaugh was a staple of my life, as was Mike Savage, so I’m well versed in the cultural and racial grievances that dominate and occupy that world.

I do. I lived in Europe for 18 years before coming back here to care for my mom. What I pay for health insurance and copay in one month here is is what I paid in almost a year there.

1 Like

Yeah, it is a good point you make here. I’m not seeing class bias in your comments, and while true they don’t exist for some people, this is over represented in other groups. It is kind of a chicken or egg argument. Every political ideology has some cultural baggage. Yes, dear progressives even you.

1 Like

Thanks for confirming. The suppression of how good folks have it in civilized nations, and that we’re arguing over absolute crumbs with $2000 vs $1400 is entirely deliberate.

(I did eldercare for my dad for years - best of luck with your mom!)

2 Likes

The Federal Reserve can literally pump a trillion dollars a day into the markets and nobody worries about how that’s funded. This is a completely vacuous argument.

5 Likes