Home | About | Donate

After 'Death Threat' in Response to Gun Control Plan, Beto O'Rourke Doubles Down on Assault Rifle Confiscation

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2019/09/13/after-death-threat-response-gun-control-plan-beto-orourke-doubles-down-assault-rifle

1 Like

I think it a bit foolish to pit the relatively small emotional anti gun folks against the highly emotional NRA and gun ownership protectors.

If you want to make arbitrary policy try taking gasoline engines from people. Those engines being way more dangerous.

2 Likes

“Hell yeah, we’re going to take your AR-15 and your AK-47.”

Dumbest political statement ever, O’Rourke didn’t just screw himself, he took every dem candidate down with him. That one statement could possibly have made the 2020 election out of reach for any dem candidate, instead of an easy win over Trump.

1 Like

I guess this signals that Beto-and-switch is done running for statewide office in Texas.

And, hell, he may as well fold up his run for president. The centrist camp is plenty crowded.

60% to 75% of the population is not “relatively small”.
The American people are fed up with the inaction, and those who do not support gun control will pay the price at the ballot box.

The NRA has been getting their but kicked as of late.

2 Likes

Gun fetishists are dangerous people.

I painfully have to agree.

This is one of those things that can get whatever answer you want by the way you design the question or poll.
What happened to the mild mannered background checks. I would suggest a 30-60 day waiting period before taking possession. A lot of cooling off and reflection can happen given enough time.

“I will send unusually violent and aggressive people with guns to raid the homes of peaceful people with guns (or whatever random mistaken address the SWAT team targets) in my bold plan to reduce gun violence.”

1 Like

I am really tempted to commit my vote to Beto. I think we have lived long enough under timid and cowardly… Enough with candle light vigils and flowers and prayers. God helps those who help themselves. Other Democracies live and thrive without machine guns

It is difficult for me to imagine a more stupid, more counterproductive, statement in “support” of restrictions on guns than O’Rourke’s.

Maybe the guy is actually an NRA undercover agent.

Just whose insanity would it be to put guns/AR15’s into any society?
What would we expect to happen except violence and chaos sufficient to
overturn any faith in government – which it is in fact doing – and to overturn
democracy?

Whose interests is this AR15/violent society serving?
Imo, it is the CIA which has regularly run guns to try to create violence in
societies and Operation Gladio is but one example of it in Italy.
It’s what the CIA has been doing in Central and South America, along with
running drugs and sex trafficking in order to encourage gangs and violence
in their societies.

US may be last on the CIA’s list for assassinations and violence to overturn
peaceful society and democracy, but they do eventually get to us –
See: JFK assassination which they helped carry out for Elites/wealthy.

In the 1970’s, what were left of liberals and moderates in the U. S. Congress
continued to try to investigate the assassinations of JFK, MLK, Jr., RFK and
investigations of the violence of the CIA and its coups around the world …

CIA/Elites couldn’t afford that to go on and, imo, they took over the NRA which
was once a SANE organization representing its SANE members and used it to
target those of both parties opposed to them and their violence and intending
to put an end to the CIA.
The Frank Church investigation/documents have still not been released to the public.

There is only one way Elites/right wing can rise and hold power – and that’s by
violence and control of our elections. Our Founders gave Elites a foot up on that
when they created an Elite-Patriarchy; not a democracy. Electoral College is one
example of rigging elections today. Our Supreme Court is another example of putting
“brakes” on democracy where the Court is corrupted by Elites to stop democracy.
Our US Senate is another example of “brakes” on the House to prevent the people
from moving justice and fair laws and keeping our government agencies accountable -
and corporations accountable.

What the CIA is doing throughout the world they will eventually bring home to us.