Home | About | Donate

After Decades as Progressive Champion, Willie Nelson Somehow Angers Right-Wing Texans by Going "All In" for Beto O'Rourke

After Decades as Progressive Champion, Willie Nelson Somehow Angers Right-Wing Texans by Going "All In" for Beto O'Rourke

Julia Conley, staff writer

Country music icon Willie Nelson's decades of progressive political activism appeared to have gone unnoticed by many of his right-wing fans, with outrage erupting this week over the musician's plans to perform at a rally for Democratic candidate for U.S. Senate Beto O'Rourke.

Nelson shared with his fans Wednesday that he counts himself among O'Rourke's supporters in a press release.

There is no cure for stupid.

That statement says more about the commenter than it does about Willie.

Willie Nelson is the genuine article! Always has been. I love the man and the music.

As a Native Texan I say piss on these blue blood fake Texans. Willie rocks, is right on and always has been. Move back to Kennebunkport where your hero family the Bu$hes (more fake Texans) are from. Ted Cruz is a dominionist theocrat. He’s also dumb as a red brick, just like his supporters. Remember to breathe now, ok?

Amazing. What’s next… The late Texans Molly Ivins, Anne Richards or Barbara Jordan or the still-alive Jim Hightower of singer Steve Earle were right wingers too?

Willie Nelson is true american patriot.

Beto O’Rouke, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, and Zak Ringelstein (in Maine) have one thing in common ---- they’re all going to start the essential continuation and completion of our American “Revolution Against EMPIRE” [Justin du Rivage’s deeply-researched and definitive history of our first one 242 years ago]!!!

The entirely corrupted crony capitalist faux-economy of this Disguised Global Capitalist EMPIRE, has, since the turn of the 21st century been diagnosed by many leading intellectual experts, thinkers, historians, and behavioral economics as being run by the UHNWIs of the world through the Empire’s political puppets:

Nobel economics laureate George Akerlof called the Bush administration, "the worst government the US has ever had in its more than 200 years of history, ‘This is not normal government policy. What we have here is a form of looting.’ "

Now, Shiller, is exposing the coming turn of the economic facade of market faux-profits based on dumping ‘negative externality costs’ on ‘we the people’, our supposed government, and our entire environment.

Willie Nelson. July 4th in Tejas is officially Willie Nelson Day.

How about a little Willie Jazz?

What a great tune here, and it is not even an original. Showing his eclectic genius—“Bring Me Sunshine” 1968. Produced by Chet Atkins. Musicians: Chet Atkins, Grady Martin, Harold Bradley (guitar), Roy M. “Junior” Huskey, Jr. (bass), Buddy Harman (drums), William Pursell (piano).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHzMhkkyPJA

Conley sez: “Some conservative fans expressed outrage at Nelson’s endorsement of the
candidate, with many saying they would boycott his music and concerts.”

Ted Nugent just called. Sez y’all are welcome to come to his next show, and there are plenty of tix available. Bonus: Same first name as Cruz!

And if they REALLY listened to Waylon Jennings “America” many on the far right would pass out from apoplexy:

America

Waylon Jennings

Some have said, down through history
If you last it’s a mystery
But I guess they don’t know, what they’re talking about
From the mountains down to the sea
You’ve become such a habit with me
America, America

Well I come from, down around Tennessee
But the people in California
Are nice to me, America
It don’t matter where I may roam
Tell you people that it’s home sweet home
America, America

And my brothers are all black and white, yellow too
And the red man is right, to expect a little from you
Promise and then follow through, America

And the men who fell on the plains
And lived, through hardship and pain
America, America
And the men who could not fight
In a war that didn’t seem right
You let them come home, America

And my…

Waylon, Willie, and Kris…“Outlaws” they called themselves. Another word for Non-Conformist.
They totally “got it” and the words are right there is their songs, if one listens.

You nailed it! Those listed in your comment above, plus Willie, are the Texans to be revered and emulated.

Yes, but then again, all those people were/are from Austin, and “Real Texans” don’t consider Austin to be a real part of Texas aside from the Capitol building and its grounds.

Willie is from Abbott, TX (near Waco).

Barbara Jordan was from Houston,

You are right about the way many others in Texas view Austin, however. It is an island of rationality in a sea of Fundamentalism.

Willie knows how to roll.

Roll another one Willie.

Or, as someone said to me back in the early 90s before I moved to Austin, “It’s an oasis in a sea of ignorance.”

If you dislike liberalS and long hair you might be a red neck. G

Not Steve Earle, that’s for damn sure.Just saw him again in June up in Fargo, ND. Between songs he had quite a bit to say about the Occupant-In-Chief. Seemed like he upset a lot of the doo-rag-wearin’ Harley-clad insurance salesmen in the audience too. What a laugh.